INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compared to Windows Media Player ...?  (Read 1492 times)

nspm002

Compared to Windows Media Player ...?
« on: October 10, 2017, 10:24:02 am »

I used JRiver's Media Center (MC) for years, but gave it up in favor of Microsoft's Windows Media Player (MWMP). 

I do a lot of disc ripping. I have a large collection of music CD's.  My Chev. Colorado came with an expensive multimedia package that has no slot for a CD.  Also, I now rip audiobook CD's to my phone so I can get continuity regardless of which of our family cars I'm driving. 

I got tired of MC not recognizing the disc I'd put in.  MWMP almost always recognizes the disc. 

MC seemed to take much more time for each rip.  MC was even slower if I used both of my CD drives.  MWMP seems totally unslowed at ripping two discs at the same time.

JRiver's page at https://www.jriver.com/speed.html says that MC is massively faster and does a better job at recognizing media that M WMP.  I can't explain why my experience was so different.

For you audiophiles out there, I assume that MC does a better job, and I respect that.  On the other hand, if I'm listening to an audiobook, or music while driving, that nuanced superiority is lost on me.

I'd prefer to go back to JRiver, but I'm hesitant to do that.  So, I'm posting this on the JRiver board, hoping I can get some JRiver fans to help me figure out how to use MC with the same convenience I'm getting from the much-maligned MWMP.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Compared to Windows Media Player ...?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 10:30:23 am »

You may have MC set to Secure Rip.  It is slower.  It reads the disc several times.

nspm002

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 03:13:18 pm »

You may have MC set to Secure Rip.  It is slower.  It reads the disc several times.

Thanks ... what submenu has that setting?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 04:11:31 pm »

The options page has a search window at the bottom.
Pages: [1]   Go Up