INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Feature Request] 3D SBS (Side by Side) Feature  (Read 3042 times)

pablo_hp

• Recent member
[Feature Request] 3D SBS (Side by Side) Feature
« on: October 04, 2017, 10:28:02 pm »

Hello, I would like to request a new feature for the program.
I would like to request the possibility of reproducing videos in 3d SBS (side by side).
I have several movies in 3d side by side and I can not see in the JRiver because it does not have the option to join the right side with the left side, as well as has this option in VLC.
I would ask for the same feature that has in VLC in JRiver.
Thanks.

pablo_hp

• Recent member
Re: [Feature Request] 3D SBS (Side by Side) Feature
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 01:18:44 am »

Any expectation about this feature?

mparade

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 05:14:33 pm »

I have the same problem. I think the main problem is that the renderer itself (madvr) doesn't support the format yet. Madshi simply does not handle it with priority, however you could save a lot of bandwidth even by using x264-10 bit with crf type of encode compared to the (avc+mvc) combined source.

wanderer99

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 07:22:14 pm »

I am a bit confused on this one - MC definitely works with SBS 3D source material.  You can even take original frame packed BD 3D and output that as SBS, making it a SBS source.  If you have a good graphics card, you can do frame synced output on a spanned dual display interface (2 projectors) and do Left and Right dedicated output from a 3D frame pack sourced decoded to 3840 x 1080 as an example.  This is all using MadVR of course under Red October HQ.

What specifically can't you do with a SBS 3D source file?  It should appear as SBS on your display and then it's up to your display to turn that into a 3D image.   

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 09:17:26 pm »

I am a bit confused on this one - MC definitely works with SBS 3D source material.

It should appear as SBS on your display and then it's up to your display to turn that into a 3D image.   

This is my experience too.

mparade

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 01:47:14 am »

This is my experience too.

If madVR is used for rendering an FSBS source (left+right eye picture is on the same big frame) it will handle it as a big 2D image. E.g in case of using a 4K TV with a "2160p" profile set up in madVR, madVR will distort the image (rescale it vertically to get to a 4K image) and then you can tell your TV it is an SBS source. Your TV will rescale the distorted image on the horizontal axis as well. This is not what I want. I would like madVR to handle an FSBS source as automated as it does by a frame-packed one.

For me, archiving in SBS format seems to be better than keeping the original in it's native format. Using a 10bit CRF encode is something you can save a lot bandwidth with while maintaining the visual quality. When using a HTPC and madVR for rendering it is something you should take into consideration.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 01:52:41 am »

We don't develop madVR. You should request that feature from madVR over at Doom9 at its own thread.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mparade

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 03:19:52 pm »

I have already done that by providing some samples to madshi.
Can't you "push" the development of this feature a bit by madVR?
You are the developer of JRiver, he is the developer of madVR, I am just a simple user with an idea.

Anyway, within hours I am going to buy the latest version of your MC. Previously, I used Kodi with LAV filters and madVR but today I have decided to give JRiver a try.
The only real problem with Kodi was that I hadn't been able to play back my x264 10-bit FSBS 3D movies correctly....They are not rendered correctly by madVR simply because it doesn't support this kind of 3D format. It was and is still annoying because I have already decided to archive my 3D collection in this format. I do not want 25-40GB 3D files on my Ironwolf HDDs. In long term this is not a solution for me.

wanderer99

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 03:40:44 pm »

All SBS 3D is essentially just a giant 2D image and that gets handled OK today.  That's coming from an original frame packed (FP) source though, or from a SBS encode that was derived from that original FP image.

Maybe I'm still not clear on what you can't do:  Is it that madVR won't handle or decode your custom x264 10bit CRF encode correctly?  Or are you wanting madVR to put out a 24P frame packed signal from your SBS file?

mparade

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 01:57:40 am »

The decoding of the FSBS file is done correctly using LAV Filters (3840x800p, x264-10 bit let's say). The renderer (madVR) gets the output of the decoder including 3840x800p frames at 23,976 fps. But, madVR handles such a stream as 2D and does any rendering task accordingly (upscaling etc.). Input is Full SBS, output should be Full SBS as well. madVR is one of the best renderer around the World, so I just do not want to replace it with any other kind of lower quality renderer (like Kodi's internal dvdplayer which can play FSBS videos correctly - handling them as 3D).
Pages: [1]   Go Up