INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gray Screen on TiVo Video Playback with MC 23  (Read 1545 times)

RLLane57

• Recent member
Gray Screen on TiVo Video Playback with MC 23
« on: October 07, 2017, 10:57:37 am »

I have been using TiVo Desktop for years to pull content from my Family Room unit to my PC and viewing with JRiver Media Center.  Recently, I had the  need to migrate WIN 10 to a new hard drive due to my upgraded Windows no longer being able to update. So, I installed a fresh version of Windows 10 Professional and began the long road to re-installing my most used apps.  I installed MC and connected it to my media drive where all the migrated content from the TiVo resides.  When I attempt to open any of the TiVo imported videos, it begins like usual, but then immediately goes to a gray screen, but you can tell the video is playing since you can see "ghosts" as if the signal was weak when the video was recorded.  I have gone back to my original drive to make sure it still works and the same videos play fine.  The video adapter (Intel HD 4600) driver is newer on the old version of Windows, but that same version will not install on the new hard drive for some strange reason and it has a version about a year older.  I even tried the generic Microsoft driver with the same result.  Does anyone have any idea what I can try next to get this working like it did on my old system?  A big thank you in advance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Gray Screen on TiVo Video Playback with MC 23
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 11:02:39 am »

Welcome to the forum.

In MC's video settings, try Red October Standard.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 12:01:43 pm »

Aren't TiVo files DRM protected? Not sure what happens to the protection if you re-install the OS.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

RLLane57

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 03:30:20 pm »

It was already set on Red October Standard as the default.  I tried the HQ simply out of desperation, but no negligible difference, so I set it back to Standard.  I'm open to trying pretty much anything at this point.  It doesn't make sense to me how the TiVo TV video files will play fine on Win 10 build 1511 but there is all this trouble with build 1703. 

RLLane57

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 08:18:36 pm »

Finally solved it, but I still don't know why it was failing.  When I installed to the new hard drive, I chose the 64 bit version of MC which wasn't available when I initially installed on the other hard drive.  Subsequent version upgrades kept the 32 bit version going forward.  After I uninstalled the 64 bit version and installed the 32 bit version, the TiVo recorded video files began playing successfully again.  I guess the all-important question to JRiver is "why does the 64 bit version fail on a function that is successful in the 32 bit version".

Thanks to those who tried to help.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 03:39:10 am »

Playback of TiVo files uses a third-party component which comes with your TiVo software. If this is not available in 64-bit, then its likely for playback to fail.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up