INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC becomes unresponsive  (Read 2081 times)

tyler69

• Citizen of the Universe
MC becomes unresponsive
« on: October 12, 2017, 12:07:41 pm »

MC gets unresponsive all the time (on High Sierra). From one second to another. I then can't click on any object in the UI. Clicking and selecting in the menu bar on top (this still works) solves this issue. For example: MC unresponsive, I go to tools -> options and open them -> close them -> MC is responsive again.

blgentry

Re: MC becomes unresponsive all the time
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 12:44:19 pm »

You've reported several remote library/server/renderer type issues.  With one type of DLNA (network) device I was messing with, MC would crash all the time.  The DLNA device would crash too.  I suggest either disabling media network, or pulling the plug on your DLNA device.  As a test.

Otherwise, I wonder if auto import is still running, or if thumbnails are rebuilding?

Brian.

tyler69

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 12:46:50 pm »

I restarted the DLNA device but to no avail.

Regarding the auto import. This got unresponsive and I could not stop it..had to quit MC so that it wouldn't add all my local files to the library (I did not want it to do so). It does not import anything now. But that's a separate issue

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 02:37:21 pm »

So your media files are on a network file share *and* your audio device is network based?

The DLNA device may or may not be involved.  But if you don't listen to files from any kind of local playback device, then there's no way to test it.  I suppose you could use the built in audio output as a test.  If it's a laptop it should have speakers.  You could test it for a few minutes and see if the same "unresponsive" behavior happens or not.  That would help isolate whether or not it's DLNA related.

Is your DLNA device or your MC computer wireless?  If either one has a weak signal this makes things worse with DLNA.  You'd probably hear skips, stutters, and/or dropouts if this was the case.

It might also have something to do with your NAS based media files.  Are you mapping a file share from a NAS box?

You might also check to see if MC is still rebuilding thumbnails:  Help > System Info > Processing

I'm not sure what exactly you are describing with the local import.  If it was unresponsive then, that might indicate that MC has hit one or more "bad files" on your local drive.  I think look through Audio > files and see if there are any local files imported into your library or not.

Brian.

tyler69

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 02:52:33 pm »

Thanks. I'll explain my setup:
I have a Thinkpad running MC23 x64 (Windows) which has a local library with files fetched from a NAS via LAN. The Thinkpad is connected via USB to a DAC, which is connected to active speakers. This setup works perfectly fine (never had such issues or signs of corrupted files). On this laptop (Thinkpad), I checked "DLNA server" (EDIT: just found out that I do not need to do this in order to load the library to the MacBook) and loaded its library on a MacBook running MC23 (High Sierra). The MacBook is connected via Wifi (ac). Playing the files from the Thinkpad library works also perfectly fine without issues (stutters, etc.). Even BluRay remuxes play perfectly fine.

It shouldn't (re)build anything as I do not have any local files in the library on the MacBook (checked under "files"), should it?

Maybe it's some "startup" hickups. I guess I'll observe this a bit more and try to grab a log for the next time this happens.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 05:09:37 pm »

Honestly I have no idea what you mean in the last post.  You're all over the place with the new information and half answers.  I'm sure you understand what you mean.  But I have no clue what you're trying to tell me.

Maybe someone else has some good ideas for you.

Brian.

tyler69

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 11:49:41 pm »

Oh, what's so hard to grasp? I'm loading a library to a MacBook from a Thinkpad..but thanks, Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 05:41:52 am »

If you're loading a remote library, I don't think you should be seeing the bouncing icons you have reported in another thread.  Clients don't "import" files at all.  They just play them.

So something is odd.  Please see my post in your other thread regarding auto import.

Brian.

tyler69

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 06:04:51 am »

I did not mention the bouncing in this thread. And in the other thread I did not say that I was loading a remote library. Two seperate issues for me, hence the different threads.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 07:53:50 am »

I've spent a lot of time trying.

Good luck.

Brian.

tyler69

Re: MC becomes unresponsive
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 08:24:52 am »

No biggie, thanks anyway :)