INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using system volume is still hearable when on 0%  (Read 1960 times)

tyler69

• Citizen of the Universe
Using system volume is still hearable when on 0%
« on: October 12, 2017, 03:44:59 pm »

When I turn the volume down to 0% I can still hear music playing. That is not happening when I use "internal volume". Is that a bug or am I doing it wrong?

blgentry

Re: Using system volume is still hearable when on 0%
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 05:01:11 pm »

There is very little reason to use System Volume.  Internal Volume is very high quality and works well.  ...and do you really want to turn the volume to zero?  If you want it off, press pause or stop.

Brian.

tyler69

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 06:21:00 am »

To me system volume is of very good use (on windows I have it synced with the DAC and on Mac it's about convenience/usability). And if a functionality is implemented, it should work properly (0% means no volume to me).

I only ask for an official statement. After all this behavior is different from the windows version..

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 07:46:44 am »

What does System Volume provide you on MC for Mac that Internal Volume does not?  I haven't even tried System Volume on MC for Mac in so long (years) that I can't remember what behaviors it has.

Brian.

tyler69

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 08:23:18 am »

I can control the whole volume with just one setting. There's a wiki article on the different volume settings that describe what they provide: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume#Volume_Modes

RD James

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 08:37:30 am »

I think this is just a difference between how Windows and macOS handle volume control.
When something sets the volume to 0% in Windows, it automatically mutes the output device.
macOS permits the volume to be at 0% but not muted. This is a very low volume level, but not silent.
So Media Center must not be telling the device to mute when it sets the volume to 0%.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 08:43:59 am »

I can control the whole volume with just one setting. There's a wiki article on the different volume settings that describe what they provide: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume#Volume_Modes

As you might guess, I'm pretty familiar with the basics of MC.  What I'm trying to ask is this:  What's the difference between turning up the Mac's volume to 100% and using Internal volume, compared to using System Volume?  I guess if you are sharing the audio output you are using as a "normal output for other programs" this might make a difference for you as you probably wouldn't want the Mac system output at 100% if you were expecting a web browser (for example) to send audio to it.

My solution to this is to send Mac system sounds (and the default sound output) to a device that can not be controlled by the OS.  I.E. a DAC that does not have a volume control.  The volume of this device is controlled by a hardware volume knob.

When I get home today, maybe I'll play with system volume and see how it reacts to the zero setting on my system.

Brian.

tyler69

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 10:33:16 am »

It is more convenient for me. I understand that there is a drawback to this since then also the system sounds volume will be synced with the volume I set when listening to music. I guess it's personal preference how ones want to use the functionality the application offers, no?

However, use cases aside: this issue is a bug, isn't it? 0% volume level should be muted.

I'm playing around with those two settings now and noticed that the volume overlay indicator in macOS (see screenshot) disappears regardless of volume control method. It comes back when I restart MC but disappears after some time. Is that intended?
Pages: [1]   Go Up