INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import library & settings to new machine  (Read 1060 times)

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
Import library & settings to new machine
« on: October 14, 2017, 02:35:06 pm »

Can I import a library backup that includes settings (machine & user.ini files) onto a different machine?
In this case, the library I want to restore was created on a Windows Vista PC, and should be imported on a Windows 10 PC. Does that work, or are settings too specific for a single machine, and cannot be used on another?
(Also, the old machine was 32bit, the new is 64bit CPU)

Thanks in advance.

"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Import library & settings to new machine
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 06:03:43 pm »

It might work if the files are in exactly the same location.

The wiki has a topic called Moving Files.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 07:48:58 pm »

It might work if the files are in exactly the same location.
The wiki has a topic called Moving Files.

Thank you, but that wasn't quite my point... I know of course that file paths have to match. I've got all my media on USB drives, which will be connected to the new PC by identical drive letters etc., so that's the easy part... ;-)

Rather what I want to do is 'migrate' (copy) my entire MC setup by moving the program files, app data folders, and ex-/importing registry values. The idea is, once all these files are in identical locations as on the source PC, I can start MC on the new PC to find everything look exactly the same. No hours of making settings, waiting for thousands of video thumbs to create (at full CPU load), etc...

Again, the inital question was, will this 'migrated setup' also work on a different PC (and newer Windows version)? I think I had it all running perfectly at first using this method, but then made some changes to the new system, which screwed it up again, and never got it back...

Do you see a chance for this to work? Thanks in advance for your input.

"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 09:15:04 pm »

Do a library backup of the new machine then try installing the library backup from the old system  You will need to have a relative recent version of MC on the Vista machine. . Vista to 10 and 32 to 64 bit should work, but may have some issues, but just give it a try. Nothing to lose and it will be very quick. You may be the first to try it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up