INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clients slow to start tv channels...  (Read 1551 times)

robt

• Galactic Citizen
Clients slow to start tv channels...
« on: October 21, 2017, 11:27:07 am »

Hi

I'm running MC 64bit on two machines, one as server and the other as client. The server machine is running tv nicely, but the client is taking in the region of 10 seconds to either start tv or change a channel. After selecting a tv channel I get a few seconds pause, a black screen with the "Opening..." graphic and then the station starts and runs fine.

I don't seem to remember it being so slow in 32 bit, and I've uninstalled all my 32 bit versions now so I cant easily check. Is it me or am I right? Either way, can it be speeded up? I'm about to add a second client machine to my main tv and I'm anticipating that SWMBO will think its a bit of a backwards step (but she'll love the epg in Theatre View). Of course, the other option is to make that the server...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Clients slow to start tv channels...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 02:13:56 am »

Check any conversion settings under "Options > Media Network > Client Options", particularly the Video section.

You may have the server doing a video conversion that is taxing its capabilities. Or you may be sending a high resolution to the Client, which is then struggling.

It sounds like this is just Live TV though, and not recorded TV? Please confirm, plus confirm the tuners you are using, so we don't have to search back through your posts. Ta.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 12:58:16 pm »

Thought I'd already replied to this.

No conversion going on (all settings set to original) and yes its live tv only. Its the same for HD channels or SD channels and recorded tv starts almost immediately so this is just a problem with live tv.

I use an HDHomerun Connect network twin Freeview HD. Once the channel starts everything is fine, its just the delay getting started.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 01:23:44 pm »

Live TV channel changing/starting is indeed slow.  I don't know (yet) what I can do about it.  I am getting 4 - 7 seconds delays.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 01:30:10 pm »

Thanks, glad its not just me.

Its more like 10 for me, but my server is a low powered (i3u) NUC. I'm about to build a desktop i3 kaby lake to act as server and I'll report back if the extra power makes it any quicker.

Pages: [1]   Go Up