INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (SOLVED #42) MC23 can't scan channels of HDHomerun  (Read 12606 times)

Dantos

• World Citizen
(SOLVED #42) MC23 can't scan channels of HDHomerun
« on: October 21, 2017, 06:18:15 pm »

Hi,

When attempting to scan TV channels from HDHR in MC23 (latest version)/ Win 7,  I get error message "The Specified tuner for scanning is in use or not available. Please either select a different tuner, or free up the selected tuner, and try again."

I had been trying NextPVR with another program but was careful to reselect *JRiver* in the HDHR setup.

On a hunch, as I still had MC22 installed I started it, AND TV > scan channels started immediately ! I cancelled out and UNINSTALLED MC 22 and MC21 (assuming some conflict with older MC versions)

Back in MC23 > same error message!

The tuners in HDHR work perfectly, they scan local channels and display them without problem.

I have tried:
Configured windows Firewall PLUS disabled firewall (I have no other firewalls)
Uninstalled NextPVR
Uninstalled/Reinstalled and upgraded HDHR
Uninstalled/ Reinstalled MC23 including registry and library files (I have backup)
Configured HDHR setup to use JRiver
Tried HDHR Advanced repair
Tried HDHR , all other advanced options fro BDA Driver (default id "auto", so changed to "normal", "inject CVCT" etc

Thanks for any suggestions

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: MC23 can't scan channels of HDHomerun
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 08:34:37 pm »

Please turn on logging and email me the log.  I am yaobing at jriver
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 09:10:28 pm »

Please turn on logging and email me the log.  I am yaobing at jriver dot com

Sent.
Many thanks

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 02:22:22 am »

It seems unlikely to be the problem since MC22 worked, but have a read through this thread and run the tests in the second post, just to be sure.

Can't hurt to check.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 03:42:04 am »

You can check what your tuners are doing by just putting the ip of the HDHomerun in a web browser. It shows the status of each tuner and if in use, the ip of the client using it.

Might be helpful..

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 05:49:10 am »

The network is definitely working as I can play HDHR over the network. I cannot see the ip address listed in router or with ipconfig /all. Not sure what that means.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 10:35:58 am »

If you go into tv status on MC23, are the tuners listed? are they saying IDLE?

TOOLS > OPTIONS > TELEVISION > ADVANCED > SHOW STATUS
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 01:14:39 pm »

The network is definitely working as I can play HDHR over the network. I cannot see the ip address listed in router or with ipconfig /all. Not sure what that means.

Your HDHomerun equipment will have an ip address allocated by your router. You can usually find it on a page in your router. If you just enter that address (mine is 192.168.0.40) into an internet browser address bar and press return, you will see something like the attached which shows one of my tuners is in use by my HTPC. The summary page shows the other is currently idle.

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 03:33:58 pm »

Your HDHomerun equipment will have an ip address allocated by your router. You can usually find it on a page in your router. If you just enter that address (mine is 192.168.0.40) into an internet browser address bar and press return, you will see something like the attached which shows one of my tuners is in use by my HTPC. The summary page shows the other is currently idle.

No IP can be seen on Router login page (all other devices do have IP). The HDHR is connected to the laptop ethernet port and the laptop is connected to wifi. HDHR can play the TV stations on the laptop, MC23 just cant scan those channels that HDHR has tuned.

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 03:41:03 pm »

If you go into tv status on MC23, are the tuners listed? are they saying IDLE?

TOOLS > OPTIONS > TELEVISION > ADVANCED > SHOW STATUS

Thanks, below is the status which shows both HDHR tuners are "initializing" while the laptop inbuilt webcam is "idle"

One other interesting point is that I was unable to delete one of the former recording log files (there were several in the folder where TV was recorded). In task manager I found a couple of HDHR processes running including a recording process (despite none recording). Once processes were stopped I was able to delete the recording log file. I thought that was going to be the answer but sadly MC23 showed same error message about being in use.
----------------------
This lists the status of television devices and recording actions that are queued.  The text will also be placed on the clipboard.

=== Television Devices ===

Device 0: Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 11110B88-0 4F9BF87652DDD154 (digital)
State: Initializing
Channel:
Recording Rule IDs:
Tuner Type: DVB-T

Device 1: Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 11110B88-1 4F9BF87652DDD155 (digital)
Channel:
Recording Rule IDs:

Device 2: HP HD Webcam [Fixed] 4C2862C1B40E68D4 (analog)
State: Idle

=== Actions ===

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 04:10:46 pm »

The way you have the HDHR connected direct to the laptop, your router wont be able to see it at all.

You need to disconnect it from the laptop and connect it to the router or a switch on the network. Its a network device and needs a router to forward the signal. You can connect direct to some Samsung tvs but thats it.

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 04:35:27 pm »

The way you have the HDHR connected direct to the laptop, your router wont be able to see it at all.

You need to disconnect it from the laptop and connect it to the router or a switch on the network. Its a network device and needs a router to forward the signal. You can connect direct to some Samsung tvs but thats it.

Yes, I was wondering about that. Still, I only need to watch TV via the directly connected laptop and that is also where the aerial connection is. I can stream video from laptop to other network locations using MC or Plex server although IIRC I have not tried with recorded TV.

Either way, network streaming should not be the issue with this particular problem? The current local connection did work perfectly well. MC22 (not23) did start scanning channels. It appears (?) the problem is that the tuners have been locked 'in use' due to old recordings that are still queued ?? Later today I will attempt to explore this further.

Maybe there was something in the MC log I sent to Yaobing?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 09:21:39 pm »

Okay, it looks like this is your problem.

The HDHR is connected to the laptop ethernet port and the laptop is connected to wifi. HDHR can play the TV stations on the laptop, MC23 just cant scan those channels that HDHR has tuned.

But I don't think you will need to do this.

I think your HDHR and your laptop are on different subnets. i.e. The HDHR may be on the 192.168.1.xxx subnet with an address assigned by Windows 10, while your laptop is on the 192.168.0.xxx subnet assigned by your router. The IP addresses in my example are completely guessed as I don't know what router you have, and I can't remember what subnet Windows 10 uses when it automatically assigns an IP address to a directly connected network device.

The PC running MC and the HDHR tuners must be on the same subnet. If MC22 could scan channels I don't know why that worked. But it didn't complete since you cancelled it, so we dont' know if it would have found the channels, or just started the process and then failed. Regardless, there have been quite a few changes in the TV area, and specifically in HDHR connection management, I believe. Yaobing can correct me if I'm wrong on that, because I have been before!

Are you able to see the IP address of the HDHR and check it against the IP address of your laptop? I assume that the HDHR software can find the HDHR, and would be able to show you the IP address it uses.

Anyway, assuming that your router DHCP server assigns IP addresses in the range 192.168.0.1 to 254, what I would do is change the DHCP server to limit the highest address it will assign to say 192.168.0.200, and then I would assign a static address to the HDHR via network properties for the ethernet connection on your laptop to 192.168.0.201. I think that is straight forward, but I can't check how to do that at the moment. Once you have done that both laptop and HDHR will be on the same subnet and MC should find the HDHR and connect properly.

Mind you, it is a little strange that MC23 was able to show you the tuner status, but not complete the channel scan. That implies that MC23 could see the tuners but wasn't fully connected or something. Hence the status of "Initializing".

You did reboot the HDHR after uninstalling MC22, didn't you? Otherwise the tuners may still have thought MC22 was going to complete the channel scan, and were waiting for that function to complete.

Does all that help?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 12:38:13 am »

Okay, it looks like this is your problem.
I think your HDHR and your laptop are on different subnets.<snip>

Does all that help?

Okay this is officially  :'(

With some effort I rigged a switch, long Ethernet cable and coax antenna cable, and put the HDHR on the main network. It shows with IP address in the router and I can navigate to it in Firefox. HDHR is seen on all my computers. It scans local channels flawlessly.

HDHR App oddly does not display the TV pictures anymore although I can click the blank screen and see and change channels inside the HDHR app, quicktv.

It now shows ONE channel as idle inside MC:

This lists the status of television devices and recording actions that are queued.  The text will also be placed on the clipboard.

=== Television Devices ===

Device 0: Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 11110B88-0 4F9BF87652DDD154 (digital)
Channel:
Recording Rule IDs:

Device 1: Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 11110B88-1 4F9BF87652DDD155 (digital)

Device 2: HP HD Webcam [Fixed] 4C2862C1B40E68D4 (analog)

=== Actions ===

BUT MC still shows same "in use" error message !

This occurs even when I highlight the "idle" tuner to scan channels.

Very weird.

Hoping something was in that log file I sent Yaobing

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 12:42:14 am »

Have you added the HDHomerun software to your laptop and scanned the channels before using MC? Does it complete the scan? Does the HDHomerun windows app work?

I'd make sure that works before trying MC.

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 01:08:40 am »

Have you added the HDHomerun software to your laptop

Yes, this is what I use to run the HDHR setup, choose MC, BDA compatible driver to auto etc

and scanned the channels before using MC? Does it complete the scan?

As said, HDHR scans all 40 local channels flawlessly

Does the HDHomerun windows app work?

It did when locally connected to the laptop - displayed TV images no problem. Now network connected (as it should be) it shows a blank screen but displays channels down right side of screen as mentioned in my post above.

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 02:30:00 am »

Please turn on logging and email me the log.  I am yaobing at jriver

that is yaobing at jriver (with a .com) or no .com ? (I sent log file to .com)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 06:20:10 am »

That's correct.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 11:47:20 am »

I did get your log.

The log shows something similar to what you posted above - the tuners were in "initializing" state.  MC puts a tuner in "initializing" state whenever it requests a tuner for a task (viewing a channel live, recording a show, or serving a client), and before it completely starts the task.  Did you do anything with the tuners before you try scanning for channels?  The log does not give me any indications why the tuners are "initializing" rather than being idle.

Did you try restarting MC (including closing Media Server)?  Rebooting computer?  Power down HDHR?

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 05:30:47 pm »

I did get your log.
The log shows something similar to what you posted above - the tuners were in "initializing" state.  MC puts a tuner in "initializing" state whenever it requests a tuner for a task (viewing a channel live, recording a show, or serving a client), and before it completely starts the task.The log does not give me any indications why the tuners are "initializing" rather than being idle.

Okay thanks

Did you do anything with the tuners before you try scanning for channels? 

No.

I previously used older version of MC with mc2xml/EPG (Australia) IIRC , then went to NextPVR for OTA EPG. Wanted to try MC again as apparently now allows OTA EPG (as does NextPVR) in Australia. MC22 did start scanning HDHR channels but I then uninstalled MC22. MC23 gives error message.

Did you try restarting MC (including closing Media Server)?  Rebooting computer?  Power down HDHR?

Yes. The laptop cannot be hard rebooted but did many full shutdowns/reboot (not just restart).Also now tried turning off media server and killing all JR and Media processes in task manager.
------------------------------

I now also tried REINSTALLING NextPVR. I found it retained its 'memory' of queued recordings. I cancelled all queued recordings (thinking it may free up tuners). No help.

Although I have reinstalled MC23 I wonder if there are registry remnants. Does JRiver have a registry cleaning app?

I really cant think of anything else but to go back to using NextPVR/KODI for Video or try reinstalling MC22 if I can get it. I use MC mainly for Audio on a dedicated music server - but also prefer MC for Movies and Shows (the "on deck" function is convenient in KODI but MC probably could be configured to do similar).

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 07:08:24 pm »

There is no registry cleanup.  However, when you run television Setup, you are offered a chance to reset all existing channels, existing programs, and all TV settings.

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 07:39:24 pm »

There is no registry cleanup.  However, when you run television Setup, you are offered a chance to reset all existing channels, existing programs, and all TV settings.

I cannot see a reset for TV settings. can you direct me where to find it? Many thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 10:09:15 pm »

I cannot see a reset for TV settings. can you direct me where to find it? Many thanks

In TV Options, under General group, click Setup.  The "Clean up old settings?" window pops up, with three checkboxes: "Clean up existing television channels", "Clean up existing television guide data", and "Reset all television settings".  Check the ones you want to do, and click OK.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 11:18:49 pm »

Another thing to try...

How old is the HDHR? One of the issues that has come up in the past is that a weak or dying power supply can cause all sorts of strange problems. It would be a bit strange if MC22 worked and MC23 didn't just because of a power supply, but if you have another known good power supply that you could try with it, I think that would be worthwhile.

Also, I did sort of explain how to connect the HDHR locally to the laptop and still have it on the same subnet. Did you try that? May make a difference if the network is playing any part in the problem. Which it may, because it is strange that only one tuner is initialising now.

Another issue recently was a bad ethernet cable. Yep, a bad cable. Who would have thought? But it sounds like you have changed cables now you have moved the HDHR. Still, when nothing else seems to work, change the cable.

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 11:26:34 pm »

In TV Options, under General group, click Setup.  The "Clean up old settings?" window pops up, with three checkboxes: "Clean up existing television channels", "Clean up existing television guide data", and "Reset all television settings".  Check the ones you want to do, and click OK.

I ticked all 3 options. No help. I also uninstalled MC23 and NextPVR AND searched and deleted all registry references.Reboot. Reinstalled MC23 without restoring library.Cleaned up TV settings again.

Still no help!

Interestingly, after all the above, running TV setup retained *some* of my settings like the custom folder set to store recordings.

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 11:40:31 pm »

How old is the HDHR? One of the issues that has come up in the past is that a weak or dying power supply can cause all sorts of strange problems. It would be a bit strange if MC22 worked and MC23 didn't just because of a power supply, but if you have another known good power supply that you could try with it, I think that would be worthwhile.

I will see if I have another PSU with same specs

Also, I did sort of explain how to connect the HDHR locally to the laptop and still have it on the same subnet. Did you try that? May make a difference if the network is playing any part in the problem. Which it may, because it is strange that only one tuner is initialising now.

No, I didnt fully understand how, so went the conventional way of placing them on the same network ie via the router/ home network.All other network programs seem to function normally including vnc remote desktop and so on.

I cant recall after what exactly but both tuners went to both Initializing again. Also, since uninstalling programs (described above) and manually deleting hangover registry entires - reboot and reinstall - Both tuners came back to idle status - another eureka moment, now this will work - but it didnt.

Another issue recently was a bad ethernet cable. Yep, a bad cable. Who would have thought? But it sounds like you have changed cables now you have moved the HDHR. Still, when nothing else seems to work, change the cable.

I'll see what I can find but chances are slim that this is it as there has already been a change pf cable.

I can normally solve problems if I burn enough hours but this is a strange one indeed. It may be the HDHR is busted. Still, strange it worked with nextpvr and seemed to want to work with MC22. I dont get the logic - unless it was on the way out and the MC22 'spark'' was a dying gesture ;D

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2017, 12:21:18 am »

No luck. change of cable no help. Couldnt find a replacement psu.

I may take the chance and buy another HDHR.Mine is at least 4 or 5 years old.It is a "Kaiser Baas" re-badge of I think a Connect? It shows up on the HDHR website as the "dual". If that's not the answer to this problem I will then be left with 2 x 2 tuners.

Do the Australians know which one to buy here and where from (near sydney, retailer,or online supplier)?

The setup in MC asks whether DVT T2 capable, is that relevant in Oz?

In USA there is Prime, extend and connect. I presume prime wont work with our foxtel?

I presume we only have the standard Connect?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2017, 07:00:32 am »

I believe you are right about Connect being the one for you to buy.  Prime is for USA cable TV.  Extend = Connect + Hardware Encoder to H264.

Send me another log.  Make sure you start with a clean restart of MC (i.e. shut down Media Server first).  Do not use logging reset.  Go directly to TV Setup.  Grab the log right after you get the error.  Email the entire package.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2017, 07:01:57 am »

Are you sure you have the network aspects set correctly?  SiliconDust has instructions.

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2017, 05:22:48 pm »

I believe you are right about Connect being the one for you to buy.  Prime is for USA cable TV.  Extend = Connect + Hardware Encoder to H264.

Send me another log.  Make sure you start with a clean restart of MC (i.e. shut down Media Server first).  Do not use logging reset.  Go directly to TV Setup.  Grab the log right after you get the error.  Email the entire package.

Not sure if this is correct but I did:
Enable logging (box one) in Help > Logging
Turn off media server (tray icon > Close media server)
Closed MC23 (clicked red x box top right of window)
Restarted MC23 (restarts media server)
Reproduced problem
Logging > report problem
emailed you log file

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2017, 05:37:04 pm »

Are you sure you have the network aspects set correctly?  SiliconDust has instructions.
Hi Jim
I have a video and pdf on installation instructions. It appears pretty straight forward and I didnt see any special networking instructions other than
Connect the HDHomeRun to your network or home router using the supplied network cable.
Alternatively the HDHomeRun can be connected directly to a PC or laptop using the supplied
network cable. A cross-over cable is not required.

Interestingly, my original method of connection, directly connected to laptop with ethernet cable is 'allowed'. FWIW it is only with the direct connection that I can see images using QuickTV app. Network connected produces a blank screen with QuckTV app even though a channel menu can be seen showing time elapsed for each program/channel.

The instructions also confirmed that the two tuner LED lights are green when in use. Mine are NOT LIT suggesting *not* in use and available for MC23 to use ?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2017, 05:48:02 pm »

Your new log revealed more info.  You have an OTA EPG scan scheduled.  It was running.  I think that may account for at least one of the "Initializing" status of your tuners.  Before you start running Setup again, go stop any pending OTA EPG scanning first.

It maybe a bug that the tuner never got out of the "Initializing" state and go into "EPG scanning" state.  That may have contributed to the confusion.  I will look into that.

OTA EPG scanning takes a long time.  You should either stop it or wait for it to finish before trying to do anything else.

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2017, 07:18:07 pm »

Your new log revealed more info.  You have an OTA EPG scan scheduled.  It was running.  I think that may account for at least one of the "Initializing" status of your tuners.  Before you start running Setup again, go stop any pending OTA EPG scanning first.

It maybe a bug that the tuner never got out of the "Initializing" state and go into "EPG scanning" state.  That may have contributed to the confusion.  I will look into that.

OTA EPG scanning takes a long time.  You should either stop it or wait for it to finish before trying to do anything else.

There are no EPG scans occuring.

In JRiver the TV setup has not occured and in "program guide last refreshed: Never refreshed"

That only leaves NextPVR which is now uninstalled and registry manually cleaned.I would need to reinstall NextPVR to see if it somehow *would have been* due for a EPG scan and cancel it - and somehow that was blocking the tuner even when NextPVR was uninstalled! - What are the odds???

BUT, after previously uninstalling NextPVR AND JRiver MC23 AND HDHR and manually cleaning registry for the 3 of them - upon reinstall of MC23 + HDHR,  The status of both tuners was *Idle*. MC23 still produced the "in use" error when scanning channels.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2017, 07:32:41 pm »

The setup in MC asks whether DVT T2 capable, is that relevant in Oz?

We Australians don't use DVB-T2, and I haven't heard of plans to switch to it soon either. We run HD TV on DVB-T.

As per Yaobing's post, we can't use the HDHR Prime, and we don't need to the HDHR Extend as our HD broadcasts are already in H.264 and therefore don't need to be encoded by the hardware. The HDHR Connect is the only one I have seen advertised in Australia, as shown on the Silicon Dust site. https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-connect/

Of all the recommended retailers I use and trust Scorptec, though I see that they aren't the cheapest. https://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=HDHomeRun+Connect&spos=1

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2017, 07:51:09 pm »

Did you power everything off and back on?

Is the firewall open as SD recommends?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2017, 08:06:57 pm »

There are no EPG scans occuring.

Did you open "TV Options..." and look at options under "General" group, and find "Load program guide..." there?  Or did you find "Stop loading program guide..."?

If you find "Load program guide...", click it and examine your EPG loading schedules.  If you find "Stop loading program guide...", click it to stop EPG loading.

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2017, 08:11:31 pm »

Did you power everything off and back on?

Yes. hdhr unpluuged/replugged. Laptop shutdown/start (not just restart w/n windows). I havent removed the laptop battery to do a "hard reboot"

Is the firewall open as SD recommends?

Firewall is completely disabled to eliminate it as a variable

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2017, 08:17:51 pm »

If you find "Load program guide...", click it and examine your EPG loading schedules. 

It has "Load program Guide" and schedule is every 24 hrs at midnight (i'm guessing my local time). Presently it is 12.15pm (not am)

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2017, 08:27:43 pm »

We Australians don't use DVB-T2, and I haven't heard of plans to switch to it soon either. We run HD TV on DVB-T.

As per Yaobing's post, we can't use the HDHR Prime, and we don't need to the HDHR Extend as our HD broadcasts are already in H.264 and therefore don't need to be encoded by the hardware. The HDHR Connect is the only one I have seen advertised in Australia, as shown on the Silicon Dust site. https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-connect/

Of all the recommended retailers I use and trust Scorptec, though I see that they aren't the cheapest. https://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=HDHomeRun+Connect&spos=1

Okay, thank you for that.

There is B&H photo in USA which I have reliably bought from before:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1018668-REG/silicondust_hdhr4_2us_hd_homerun_branded_atsc.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&IWB=AU&O=&Q=&c3api=1876%2C50960586482%2C%2C&gclid=Cj0KCQjwybvPBRDBARIsAA7T2kjyVWc-egWeWwqf6T3_3QLPLBcm1d4pM_tzqPTSkItSwO_sirYSkRYaAtjMEALw_wcB&is=REG&pcur=ZAUD&sku=1354782

Im guessing these tuners are not locked to a country (and therefore can be used in Oz).

Not sure exactly how the Connect "Duo" differs from the Connect "Dual". The Duo may be the latest model Connect or perhaps adds HDHR DVR capability?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2017, 08:45:30 pm »

There is B&H photo in USA which I have reliably bought from before:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1018668-REG/silicondust_hdhr4_2us_hd_homerun_branded_atsc.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&IWB=AU&O=&Q=&c3api=1876%2C50960586482%2C%2C&gclid=Cj0KCQjwybvPBRDBARIsAA7T2kjyVWc-egWeWwqf6T3_3QLPLBcm1d4pM_tzqPTSkItSwO_sirYSkRYaAtjMEALw_wcB&is=REG&pcur=ZAUD&sku=1354782

Don't buy that. It won't work here.

Im guessing these tuners are not locked to a country (and therefore can be used in Oz).

Yes they are. See that "US" at the end of the manufacturing models numbers? HDHR4-2US and HDHR5-2US. That means that they are for use in the American market, where FTA TV uses the ATSC standard.

Not sure exactly how the Connect "Duo" differs from the Connect "Dual". The Duo may be the latest model Connect or perhaps adds HDHR DVR capability?

It doesn't matter because it won't work here.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2017, 08:52:53 pm »

It has "Load program Guide" and schedule is every 24 hrs at midnight (i'm guessing my local time). Presently it is 12.15pm (not am)

If your MC server has been turned off and hasn't run an EPG collection in the last day then it will run a collection when you turn on the PC and start MC. Sometimes it doesn't even start up straight away, so it is a bit hard to predict when it will run.

Best to follow Yaobing's instructions on checking whether it is running, and shutting it down.

Did you open "TV Options..." and look at options under "General" group, and find "Load program guide..." there?  Or did you find "Stop loading program guide..."?

If you find "Load program guide...", click it and examine your EPG loading schedules.  If you find "Stop loading program guide...", click it to stop EPG loading.

Yes. hdhr unpluuged/replugged.

I assume that means the power is unplugged, and not the ethernet. Just checking. Because the HDHR tuners need to be fully powered down to fix some stuff.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2017, 09:03:23 pm »

Since you are trying to scan for channels (and since you checked "Clean up existing television channels" on a previous run), you should just disable the current EPG schedule, by unchecking "Automatically load the program guide everyday in the background".  Without a valid set of channels, EPG scan would bring nothing.

And yes, as RoderickGI said, EPG scan will start as soon as it gets a chance if it has missed its scheduled time.

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2017, 10:22:47 pm »

Since you are trying to scan for channels (and since you checked "Clean up existing television channels" on a previous run), you should just disable the current EPG schedule, by unchecking "Automatically load the program guide everyday in the background".  Without a valid set of channels, EPG scan would bring nothing.

And yes, as RoderickGI said, EPG scan will start as soon as it gets a chance if it has missed its scheduled time.

WOW it worked! 60 channels (with music TV stations).

TV Options > Setup > clean up existing channels + guide info + reset all tv settings
TV Options > Load Program Guide > clear program guide +uncheck auto load program guide + uncheck OTA
close media server
close MC23
shutdown Laptop > Restart
Unplug (Power) HDHR x 30 secs / Repower

ran TV setup and "NO ELECTRONIC GUIDE" ticked.

Scanned channels > worked immediately (just as it did in MC22)

No Idea which in the above sequence was instrumental. I hope when I restart EPG loading that it will not mess things up.

Thanks for all of the contributors' time and patience (I had totally given up when it previously failed while showing two "idle" tuners)

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2017, 10:27:13 pm »

Don't buy that. It won't work here.

Yes they are. See that "US" at the end of the manufacturing models numbers? HDHR4-2US and HDHR5-2US. That means that they are for use in the American market, where FTA TV uses the ATSC standard.

It doesn't matter because it won't work here.

Okay and thanks.
As noted above my hdhr appears to be working (haven't yet tried if channels are viewable).
I would have assumed (incorrectly) that since the country was selectable in setup that hdhr connect would function in that country.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2017, 12:49:23 am »

I would have assumed (incorrectly) that since the country was selectable in setup that hdhr connect would function in that country.

On this page: https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-connect/

There are specific notes in red under the "Regional Specifications" heading. I would be surprised if you could select Australia when setting up a HDHR4-2US. But not shocked.

Note: As you are functioning again, this note is really for future Australian readers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up