INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Batch renaming of files - add track number to file name  (Read 2605 times)

clpetersen

• Recent member
Batch renaming of files - add track number to file name
« on: October 23, 2017, 03:12:32 pm »

Hello - I am a JRiver user, music only. Software/computer knowledgeable, but not an expert. All music on a NAS.

Here is the question:
When ripping music using JRiver (all good) the track number is not embedded into the file name. Some other software (namely an Oppo 205) only look at the file structure, not the metadata. So songs are played back in alphabetical order. OK for the OCD's but not so great for live recordings etc.

Some rips done via XLD in fact embed the track number into the file name.

I would like to go through the library (10,000 tracks or so)  and rename the track files names to append a preceding track number (i.e. 'Happy Birthday.flac' becomes '01 Happy Birthday.flac'), etc. If some tracks become '01 01 Happy Birthday.flac' that is OK. It that can be avoided, so much the better.

Also, how to set up JRiver to include the track number in the file name for future rips?

So: is there a good post on this? I just read through the Rename function, but no specific example.
I do have off-line back-ups, just in case...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Batch renaming of files - add track number to file name
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 04:00:40 pm »

In the Name field, you can use an expression.  I'm not the expert on expressions but something like =[Track #] [Name] might work.  There is a space after Track and another space between the two fields.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 05:23:49 pm »

You hint that some of the tracks may already have the track number at the start of the filename, so the best approach here, I think, would be to use the "Rename, move & copy" tool.

Try one or two first.

When you open the tool (found via right click > Library tools > rename, move and copy files) you would choose "Template", deselect directories, and in the filename field, you would enter the template:
[Track #] [name]

MC provides a handy "before/after" list on the right hand side. Any files that already match the template will be flagged as "No change". The rest will be updated. Try a few, and once you're comfortable, you can select the whole lot and get them all done in one go in very short order.

As for the ripping options, before starting the rip, look in the action window in the lower left corner of the program window, and you should see a clickable link to the options. Look specifically at the "File name" options. I think you can work it out, but if you need more help, just shout, there's always someone nearby. :)

clpetersen

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 09:59:57 am »

Many thanks. This looks very useful. :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up