INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic Updates - Set Time To Check  (Read 2817 times)

rcblackwell

• Recent member
Automatic Updates - Set Time To Check
« on: October 25, 2017, 09:15:30 am »

I run MC23 64 Bit on a headless, dedicated Windows 10 PC. Access to MC is remote through either JRemote or Panel. This setup works well until a newer version of MC is released. When a new update is available, MC downloads the update then starts the install process. The process requires user intervention to complete. When the update reaches that point it stops; awaiting user input. Unfortunately, the current install of MC also stops, leaving users attempting to connect remotely, unable to do so. It's only when MC stops responding to remote requests that I become aware of the situation. Although it's an easy fix, the problem is often noticed at a most inconvenient time; just when there's a house full of guests a desire to play some background music while we chat.

I figured I could reduce the number of occurrences by increasing the time between Update Checks. I found instructions for modifying the update check at https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Check_for_Updates however the information seems to out of date as I'm unable to find the fields referred to in the instructions.

Advice on how I can configure MC23 to check for updates on a scheduled basis, one that I'm able to set, would be greatly appreciated.
-------
Robert

MC24 for Windows on Kangaroo PC

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Automatic Updates - Set Time To Check
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 09:46:23 am »

turn off auto update and then check when you want....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 09:47:53 am »

MC doesn't install updates automatically. It only downloads them, and queues them up to install them the next time its re-started, or the user clicks the "install" button.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Plutotype

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 01:04:07 pm »

Does the download/install button has its own a shortcut keyboard key? I would want to map it to my RC.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 01:18:34 pm »

MC doesn't install updates automatically. It only downloads them, and queues them up to install them the next time its re-started, or the user clicks the "install" button.

This is what I really detest. It leaves me no way to "stop" an update from once downloaded. So now I have had to turn off all updates completely and check manually.

It would be perfect if MC would start up and then only offer the option to "install" (from the lower left panel) rather than just rolling right into the installer at some future startup. There are many reasons why I may not need/want a specific update. Or maybe consider making it an option to turn off the "auto start update"?

VP

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 01:21:03 pm »

If you want manual control about the updates, just turn off auto-update entirely. Instead of clicking "install now", just click "update now", which has the same effect, really.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

rcblackwell

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 01:26:15 pm »

turn off auto update and then check when you want....

How does that answer my question? Turning off auto updates defeats the purpose of such. I'm not one that goes off in search of updates for each application that's installed on the various PC's that I operate. All other application that I run offer an the ability to select the period of time between checking for updates. I usually set this period to 60 or 90 days. That period is sufficient for my needs.
-------
Robert

rcblackwell

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 01:32:00 pm »

MC doesn't install updates automatically. It only downloads them, and queues them up to install them the next time its re-started......
Ohh.... this is likely cause of my problem. I just realized the PC in question is set to install any new Microsoft updates at 2:00 am. If need be, the PC reboots to finish the install. The why I have the PC configured, MC starts when Windows starts. That being the case, the MC install screen would appear during startup thus preventing MC from starting until someone presses the okay button. The problem could be resolved by following Vocalpoint's suggestion.
-------
Robert

Vocalpoint

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 02:01:09 pm »

If you want manual control about the updates, just turn off auto-update entirely. Instead of clicking "install now", just click "update now", which has the same effect, really.

You didn't really answer my question. In a "queue" scenario - when a update has downloaded in the background and then I fire up MC (like tomorrow) - and an update suddenly starts applying itself without my knowledge (or consent) - there is NO ability to click anything.

I have to put up with an update that cannot be stopped.

And turning off auto updates - basically ensures I will never (ever) know when any update is available - makes little sense either.

VP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 02:05:24 pm »

Does the download/install button has its own a shortcut keyboard key?
I don't think so.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 03:49:06 pm »

Does the download/install button has its own a shortcut keyboard key? I would want to map it to my RC.
If "Disable Automatic Update" is selected in Tools > Options > Startup > Update Channels, then Ctrl + J will download the the most recent publically released update. Otherwise, Ctrl + J will make sure you have either the most recent Stable or Latest build depending on what is checked in Update Channels.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 02:42:52 am »

How does that answer my question? Turning off auto updates defeats the purpose of such. I'm not one that goes off in search of updates for each application that's installed on the various PC's that I operate. All other application that I run offer an the ability to select the period of time between checking for updates. I usually set this period to 60 or 90 days. That period is sufficient for my needs.
Did you figure it out yet?
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”
Pages: [1]   Go Up