INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can a single song appear in multiple albums?  (Read 2160 times)

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
Can a single song appear in multiple albums?
« on: October 26, 2017, 09:17:53 pm »

Is there a way to tag a song so that one instance of the song appears on multiple albums?

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
Re: Can a single song appear in multiple albums?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 09:18:50 am »

If not, could it be made possible? Could we get the ability to create a 'virtual copy' or 'shortcut' to a song so that the same audio file could be included in separate albums? This could be very helpful when there are multiple versions of an album but most of it is the same. Or if a song is on the original release and also on a 'greatest hits' collection.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 09:24:47 am »

You probably could create a particle and use that.

More here:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Particles
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 09:46:44 am »

Particles are quite buggy though and you easily lose the work you have put on them (tagging).
For example if I want to split radioshow to individual songs. When I add tracknumber to particle it also changes filename tag for the particle and it becomes orphan and AFAIK unfixable.

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 01:55:52 pm »

Thanks, this seems to be working. This is the first time working with particles. It got a bit weirded out when I created the particles from a computer syncing a shared library on another computer. It kept making duplicate particles and confusing the particles with the original files. I removed all the files and re-imported them, and then logged in remotely to the host server to create the particles. This worked well, and the particles retained their link to the original files even when the originals were renamed or moved within MC.

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 07:49:06 am »

I figured out why I was getting duplicate files on some tracks when I made a particle version. The duplicates are already stacked tracks that were in my Audio Conversion Cache, for when I synced to my iPod classic. Apparently making a particle of the original file (generally FLAC) confused MC, causing it to forget the original stack and importing the converted file as a separate track.

I'm not sure what's going to happen after I delete these converted tracks and then re-sync my iPod. MY fear is that any tracks to be converted will create a new stack and the particle will break. I'll post when I find out.

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 04:57:00 pm »

Just to follow up on this, it's a complete mess. The particles I create of songs constantly lose their information and end up changing their metadata back to the original song they were created from.

Case in point: I tried to set up the UK version of 'The Clash,' which has a different track listing and a few different songs than the US version. So I have two versions of the album, The Clash(US) and The Clash(UK).

For the redundant tracks, I created particles from the US version(with -Particle in the track name), then changed the album name to 'The Clash UK' and modified track number. Everything seems to work great and I set up both albums. They play fine. I checked back some hours later and all the particles have reverted back to the US version of the album, and have renamed the tracks to eliminate '-Particle' so they are indistinguishable from the original track.

I really would like this to work, because I have quite a few artists, like Johnny Cash, that have the same songs on multiple albums. Not to mention Greatest Hits collections.

rec head

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 06:14:44 pm »

I'm not usually a "throw money at it" guy but HHD's are pretty big and cheap these days. It just doesn't seem worth the headache. My library is nothing compared to some but 10015 mostly FLAC files = 206GB

MikeO

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 09:07:10 am »

You almost want [album] to be a semi colon delimited list like Artist

You could add a custom tag MyAlbum with that config and move or copy the Album Tag to it and use that instead of the std Album

Very messy and difficult to maintain but it would work, BUT ....

I would just keep 2 copies if it were me

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up