INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 23.0.77 64bit daily crash while idle with 64bit [Solved]  (Read 13135 times)

net23

• Recent member
MC 23.0.77 64bit daily crash while idle with 64bit [Solved]
« on: October 28, 2017, 11:57:28 am »

Pretty much once every 24 hours MC has been crashing leaving a popup telling me it crashed, click through to another popup and then the program closes.

Restarts fine, runs fine, plays fine and then while I'm AFK for a few hours, maybe overnight I come back and see it's gone down again.

I thought it was some random stability thing that would improve over time and versions but eventually figured that perhaps you'd want to take a look. Dump zip @ https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzrtuHARsJD7VENiMGF0d1pZMFk/view?usp=sharing

1784985: 3668: TV: CTVRecordingManager::Process: Finish (0 ms)
1787500: 3668: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Unhandled exception -- program crashing
1787500: 3668: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Message: 15, wParam: 0, lParam: 0
1787500: 3668: General: RunProgram: Start
1787500: 3668: General: RunProgram: Filename: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 23\JRCrashHandler.exe / Parameters: JRCrashInfo1028
1787500: 3668: General: RunProgram: Performing ShellExecute...
1787594: 3668: General: RunProgram: Running process...
1787594: 3668: General: RunProgram: Waiting for completion
0000000: 10992: General: JRCrashHandlerApp::Run: Start
0000000: 10992: General: JRCrashHandlerApp::Run: Opening Shared Memory: JRCrashInfo1028
0000000: 10992: General: JRCrashHandlerApp::CreateMiniDump: Start
0000015: 10992: General: JRCrashHandlerApp::CreateMiniDump: Trying to set dump privileges
0000015: 10992: General: JRCrashHandlerApp::CreateMiniDump: Creating dump output file at C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 23\Crash.dmp

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Same here.  I have been assuming it was due to the DiracLive VST files which need to rendez-vouz with the mothership.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Hendrik

• Administrator

The crash appears to be somewhere in the visualization plugin. I've improved some debugging helpers for the 64-bit version for the next builds, so if it keeps happening with 23.0.79 or newer once its out, a new dump would be helpful, thanks!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

kr4

• MC Beta Team

This is still happening to me and more than once a day.  AFAIK, the only plug-in I am using is for DiracLive.

Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen

This is still happening to me and more than once a day.  AFAIK, the only plug-in I am using is for DiracLive.

Kal - I believe the Dirac plugin is 32-bit.  When does it crash - on playback or while sitting idle, the OP's complaint?  if it works during playback, I would not expect it to cause a crash with JR 64-bit sitting idle. 

I also use the Dirac VST.  But, I have held off on JR 64-bit for the above reason and general concerns about stability of the 64-bit JR.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

The 64 bit version is stable.

net23

• Recent member

Mine has been crashing while idle... I was the OP.

I'll report if it happens with the new version.

Thanks,
Bob

kr4

• MC Beta Team

Kal - I believe the Dirac plugin is 32-bit. 
Both 32-bit and 64-bit are available. 
When does it crash - on playback or while sitting idle, the OP's complaint?
Sitting idle.
if it works during playback, I would not expect it to cause a crash with JR 64-bit sitting idle. 
Nor would I but it does play.  OTOH, it does not always load at first try but, when it does, it plays fine.

Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

pepar

• World Citizen

Subscribed. Am looking at using the 64-bit version ...
"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater

JimH

• Administrator

Anyone having the problem should make sure they are using 64 bit drivers.  If in doubt, run without them.

Hendrik

• Administrator

As I said above, if this seems to happen to you on build 80 or newer, please provide a crash report.

MC generates all the necessary information on its own. Right after the crash startup MC again and go to Help -> Logging, and click the "Report problem" button. It'll create a zip file on the desktop, please share that file either here in an attachment or another mean of file hosting. Note that only immediately after the crash this is useful, if MC is restarted a couple times or anything like that, the required information is likely lost.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen

I've noticed the 32-bit version of 23.0.81 crashing when idle recently.  The next time it occurs, I'll try the "Report Problem" suggestion.

Upon restart, everything seems to be working fine.  I don't run any plugins or visualization and, well, only the server portion of JRiver MC is even running when the crash occurs (GUI not open).

kr4

• MC Beta Team

As I said above, if this seems to happen to you on build 80 or newer, please provide a crash report.
Does this help?
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

JimH

• Administrator

kr4,
If you don't use the TV feature, try turning it off in Tools > Options > General > Features.

Hendrik

• Administrator

Does this help?

There is no indication of a crash in the log, so unfortunately, no. You're also still on build 77. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

pepar

• World Citizen

kr4, check the Windows event log for problems.

Jeff

kr4

• MC Beta Team

OK.  I am using 23.0.81 now.  I have disabled Video and TV Support.

In the past, MC would hang after periods of idleness forcing me to dump out and reload.

Now, if I leave MC idle, it takes about 1/2 hour or so for it to close spontaneously without any messages, leaving me viewing the desktop.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I was having similar issues on my new 8700K build.  Turns out my OC was not stable (and had issues with XMP on one brand of memory that I have now swapped).  Is your CPU or memory (even XMP Profile) overclocked by any chance?
JRiver CEO Elect

kr4

• MC Beta Team

I was having similar issues on my new 8700K build.  Turns out my OC was not stable (and had issues with XMP on one brand of memory that I have now swapped).  Is you CPU or Mem (even XMP Profile) Overclocked by any chance?
No OC.  i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz .
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

You might want to check with something like HWiNFO64.  I did not think I was OC either but my Asus board apparently sees a "K" series chip and auto OCs. 
JRiver CEO Elect

kr4

• MC Beta Team

OK.  Here's the latest log file and the HWiN page.  I cannot see anything notable.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

pepar

• World Citizen

Kal, the Windows Application Event Log should be recording every MC crash with a code/reason for it.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997769(v=exchg.65).aspx

Jeff

kr4

• MC Beta Team

Kal, the Windows Application Event Log should be recording every MC crash with a code/reason for it.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997769(v=exchg.65).aspx

Here's what I found.  What do I do about it?
BTW, this machine has been working fine for a year and this problem just popped up with v23.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

pepar

• World Citizen

Event Viewer | Windows Logs | Application will give application/program information, warnings and errors.

Event Viewer | Windows Logs | System will do the same for the operating system.

I am using Windows 7 64-bit. If you are using a newer version then I am not familiar with any differences.

The folks here should be able to analyze any errors you find.

kr4

• MC Beta Team

Event Viewer | Windows Logs | Application will give application/program information, warnings and errors.

Event Viewer | Windows Logs | System will do the same for the operating system.

I am using Windows 7 64-bit. If you are using a newer version then I am not familiar with any differences.

The folks here should be able to analyze any errors you find.
Thanks.  I hope so.  My only solution at the moment is to keep playing music!
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

pepar

• World Citizen

I have heard that some people make a career out of doing that.

contium

• World Citizen

I was having daily crashes as well with nothing obvious in the log. I disabled media network and the crashes stopped. Re-enabled it and it's still crashless.

JimH

• Administrator

That would suggest a network problem.  A driver, or a device that isn't responding.

Antivirus could also do it, even when disabled:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,80955.msg553329.html#msg553329

pepar

• World Citizen

Some interaction between MC and networking?

kr4

• MC Beta Team

That would suggest a network problem.  A driver, or a device that isn't responding.
No antivirus program on this music-only machine.  Besides, why would it not crash when playing?
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

pepar

• World Citizen

No antivirus program on this music-only machine.  Besides, why would it not crash when playing?

Or not crash when idle and MC is not running?

kr4

• MC Beta Team

Or not crash when idle and MC is not running?
Well, it is only MC that is "crashing."   Not actually crashing but ending and dumping me back to the desktop without messages.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

pepar

• World Citizen

Well, it is only MC that is "crashing."   Not actually crashing but ending and dumping me back to the desktop without messages.
Err, yes, i think I remember you mentioning that.  My money is on there being a clue in Event Viewer | Windows Logs | Application.

Jeff

kr4

• MC Beta Team

Here are today's log files and the Win crash logs.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

Hendrik

• Administrator

Unfortunately, none of your logs contain any indication of a crash, and the Windows logs are from some GigabyteEngine (some motherboard tool?), not from MC.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

pepar

• World Citizen

kr4 - *here* is the location I have been pointing to ... (apparently I should visit this log more often)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Kal: I sent you a couple of emails. We think your PSU might be the culprit for the power outs. I suggested reverting to the standard PSU to see if that eliminated the crashes. I am not referring to MC quitting, but rather the newer, more serious development.

kr4

• MC Beta Team

Thanks, all.  Yes, I did find those logs and, yes, it all points to a PS failure which became fatal last night.  Stock PS will go in tomorrow morning and I'd restart all this from there.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

JimH

• Administrator

Well it wasn't pretty, but we got there in the end.  Thanks to everyone who helped, and especially pepar for advocating the event logs.

kr4

• MC Beta Team

Well it wasn't pretty, but we got there in the end.  Thanks to everyone who helped, and especially pepar for advocating the event logs.
Well, let's not declare victory yet.  I'll give an update in a couple of days.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

pepar

• World Citizen

Well, let's not declare victory yet.  I'll give an update in a couple of days.
Two unrelated problems with one obfuscating the second?

kr4

• MC Beta Team

Two unrelated problems with one obfuscating the second?
Very possibly........................................................

OK.  Backup PS is working and JRiver is playing.  However.....................
When playing one track, I clicked on another and JRiver closed without notice.  Seems to be related to the Merging Technology ASIO driver.  See attached.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

Hendrik

• Administrator

Indeed the error points to that ASIO driver, and since the error ocurred in a third party component, it also doesn't give us any details of what happened.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

kr4

• MC Beta Team

Indeed the error points to that ASIO driver, and since the error courred in a third party component, it also doesn't give us any details of what happened.
It appears that it is the very release of the Merging driver that is a triggering event.  That is why the problem never occurs while playing.

I have attached the Windows log files of what happens.  JRiver releases the merging driver with a critical error message followed by two critical error messages from about a disconnect with BonJour.  They are listed from last to first in the attached file.

I have sent this information to Merging, too.

Kal
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

pepar

• World Citizen

Perhaps try stopping the Bonjour Service and see if MC still crashes?  Perhaps try another ASIO driver and see if MC still crashes?  The first would be easy, with rebooting restoring Bonjour.

kr4

• MC Beta Team

Perhaps try stopping the Bonjour Service and see if MC still crashes?  Perhaps try another ASIO driver and see if MC still crashes?  The first would be easy, with rebooting restoring Bonjour.

At the moment, the only DAC I have is the NADAC and its ASIO driver is to support AES67/Ravenna via ethernet.  I just updated it but no change.  What can I do about BonJour?
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

pepar

• World Citizen

At the moment, the only DAC I have is the NADAC and its ASIO driver is to support AES67/Ravenna via ethernet.  I just updated it but no change.  What can I do about BonJour?

Windows Task Manager (Ctrl|Alt|Del ?), Services tab, locate Bonjour and right click.  "Stop service."

You can repeat the above and right click to "Start service" or simply reboot.

If MC (and ASIO) operate normally with Bonjour stopped, that will have narrowed the focus to the ASIO driver's interaction with Bonjour. Or vice versa.

Bonjour is used by iTunes to locate shared resources, e.g. libraries, and by certain Apple printer services. If you are not using either, you could permanently disable Bonjour Service, and Bob's your uncle.

kr4

• MC Beta Team

Thanks for your suggestions.  I did notice that, when there was a JRiver failure, the Win logs showed 1-2 errors related to BonJour associated with each error related to Merging's ASIO driver.  Then it occurred to me that my JRiver PC-based server was competing with a MacBookPro running RoonRemote for control of the NADAC.  So, rather than trying to disable BonJour, I just shut down the Mac (not just letting it sleep) and all seems well now, at least so far.  No crashes, no error messages.

Why this should be is beyond me and a proper resolution is for others.  I am grateful to have a practical resolution.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

pepar

• World Citizen

Glad to hear you’ve hit upon a solution! Have you received any response from Merging? I can’t imagine Apple would change anything about their code but I would think that Merging should care and should also be nimble enough to track down the issue. And it would be Merging’s role to work Apple.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: MC 23.0.77 64bit daily crash while idle with 64bit [Solved]
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2017, 06:51:18 am »

Can we spike the football now?  ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up