INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV server, multiple clients  (Read 1621 times)

ajp_anton

• Junior Woodchuck
TV server, multiple clients
« on: October 31, 2017, 06:26:10 am »

Hi

If I install multiple tuners into my media server, for example the "Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD" which has 4 tuners in a single card, can multiple (up to four) clients stream TV independently from the server? Will the server automatically pick a free tuner for each new client?

My plan is to stream Swedish TV from my parents home to Finland where I currently live. Just wondering what would happen if, say, two of my PCs with MC were to connect simultaneously, or if I also gave my friend access to the server.

robt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: TV server, multiple clients
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 12:44:52 pm »

In theory this should work, certainly you can server tv to multiple clients and the server will find a free tuner if available.

How well it would work from Sweden to Finland only you can guess. But yes, this is what its designed to do, but usually around a home rather than across international borders!

Let us know if you try.....

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 08:08:19 pm »

The server will automatically pick the right tuner to serve a given client.  If different clients request different channels, different tuners will be used.  If the same channel is requested, one tuner will be used for multiple clients.

The limitation factors:

The number of tuners you actually have;
the network speed;
the computer CPU power;
the computer hard disk capacity and speed, etc.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

ajp_anton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 06:25:16 pm »

The server will automatically pick the right tuner to serve a given client.  If different clients request different channels, different tuners will be used.  If the same channel is requested, one tuner will be used for multiple clients.

The limitation factors:

The number of tuners you actually have;
the network speed;
the computer CPU power;
the computer hard disk capacity and speed, etc.
Thank you. Network speed shouldn't be a problem, server has 1G/1G and the main client(s) are at 1G/100M. Server is a 4C/4T Skylake at 3.4GHz all-core turbo. It's running a webserver as well, but it's not very busy. Why does the HDD matter?

In theory this should work, certainly you can server tv to multiple clients and the server will find a free tuner if available.

How well it would work from Sweden to Finland only you can guess. But yes, this is what its designed to do, but usually around a home rather than across international borders!

Let us know if you try.....
I'll visit and install the tuner card in about a month. I'll report how it goes =).

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 10:36:25 pm »

HDD matters because MC needs to record to hard disk while serving clients.  Serving clients across the Internet requires fast internet service speed, not just your in-house network speed.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up