INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Cover art not displaying in main window, but does when selected.  (Read 2831 times)

curtisls87

• Recent member

Greetings, I changed out my hard drive for an SSD in my mid 2011 Mac Mini last night. I did a fresh install of High Sierra, and then a fresh install of MC23. Since I keep all my music on external drives, I took my library backup file I had saved from the old hard drive, and used it to point to my music files. This all worked very well, including keeping my Options settings for bit streaming and media center settings. I've been able to use it to serve to JRemote and a windows version of MC23, without problems.

Here is the rub.

Since the change, on the main screen of MC23 on the Mac Mini (my main server), some of the albums cover art doesn't show, and is instead just a big eighth note. However, if I select one of the albums where this occurs, and go into it to select a song, then the album cover art appears. Additionally, when I connect to that server from the Windows MC23 client, all of the album artwork appears all of the time!

Any ideas on why this is happening or what I can do to correct it? Thanks!

couchjr

• World Citizen
Re: Some Cover art not displaying in main window, but does when selected.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 05:19:08 pm »

I had this problem too (see my other threads). I have a large library (4800+ albums, mostly classical). At first I was seeing the blue eighth note often--I eventually noticed that it was not always the same albums that were missing cover art. Eventually (after several days of use) paging through the library, the cover art became stable in JRemote and on the server computer (Mac Mini) accessed by Splashtop on an iPad (it all appeared, as for you, much sooner when viewed on the server using a directly connected monitor).

I had tried restarting MC and JRemote and the iPad and the Mac Mini, clicking the "rebuild thumbnails," re-embedding some "missing" albums' cover art in the tags and nothing seemed to solve the problem--it just took time.

I have concluded that it just takes a long time for MC and Remote to rebuild the thumbnails for large libraries. The distinction between cover art and thumbnails is not well explained in the MC "documentation."

So my suggestion is just to keep using MC via JRemote, scrolling through the library, and see if over the next few days things don't improve.

curtisls87

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 03:02:19 pm »

Thanks for the reply, I also have a very large library - some 78,000 songs. I will wait to see what happens, but I'm not sure it was clear that I was saying the problem is on the main server instance of MC23 on my Mac Mini. This is where the album art doesn't show for many titles on the main screen, but when I click to go into the album, the artwork shows up. I see the artwork for these same albums showing up when I connect remotely to this server using a JRemote client, or another copy of MC23 that's on a Win10 box when they access the Mac Mini MC23 server over my home network.

curtisls87

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 05:06:32 pm »

Okay, I've got this figured out. Hopefully this will help someone else, should they do the same thing.

1. DSD DFF files don't store the image metadata, but I had thought that the jriver database included them. It apparently does not. No big deal, I have those images backed up.

2. This one was interesting. A while back, I had run a program that automates FLAC to MP3 conversion. Those MP3 files showed up in JRiver, but I hadn't really paid attention to them. Apparently that program didn't capture the image data to the MP3. In this case, on the main MC23 screen, I had the blue eight note, but when I click to go into the album, I could see that the FLAC files had the image but the MP3 files did not. When I would delete the MP3 files from MC23, the album cover would then show on the main MC23 screen.

I hope that helps someone else who decides to do this, but it does lead me to one question. Where does MC23 store the image file for the DFF files that I had manually associated with those DSD files? If I knew that, I would have saved that folder so that the associations would have been available afterward.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 05:44:16 pm »

Check settings for File Location.  You can set a directory for cover art there.

curtisls87

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 05:48:26 pm »

Thanks, I will!

couchjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 12:53:02 pm »

1. DSD DFF files don't store the image metadata, but I had thought that the jriver database included them. It apparently does not. No big deal, I have those images backed up.

Ah, this explains the difference in our experience. I have used DSF files from the beginning precisely so I can store tags and cover art in the media file, including custom tag fields. In my case the thumbnail rebuild just took awhile, but the art was in the files all along.
Pages: [1]   Go Up