INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play Doctor Duplicates  (Read 3354 times)

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
Play Doctor Duplicates
« on: November 02, 2017, 02:58:15 pm »

Is there any way to prevent play doctor from putting duplicate tracks in playing now?  I often like to begin the day right clicking on a song I like and letting play doctor do the rest but I have found the same songs repeat over and over throughout the day.  I've got 30k songs for sure it could find something else or even would be fine if it just limited the number of songs it relates to not duplicating any.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Play Doctor Duplicates
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 06:20:57 pm »

Recent builds do a better job of this.

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 01:34:30 pm »

yeah i'm using the latest and it is a little better then it used to be but still... is there an option to just fully prevent it inserting the same songs twice?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 03:33:45 pm »

Try using more tracks from different artists and albums as the seed.  Select a few, right click and choose Play with Play Doctor.

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 11:16:21 am »

Will do... mind adding an option to simply not have it insert duplicates?

bMinor

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 12:49:59 pm »

Playing Now/Play Doctor Options/Set Rules for Files.../Add New Modifier: Remove duplicates of/Name

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 06:44:08 pm »

Playing Now/Play Doctor Options/Set Rules for Files.../Add New Modifier: Remove duplicates of/Name

Tried that already and when i right click a song and select Play with Play Doctor it still inserts duplicates of the same name.

here is a screenshot...

http://www.groovydomain.com/PlayDoctorDuplicate.png

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 07:38:36 pm »

A very recent version of MC23 should work better.

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 12:01:38 pm »

I'm running the latest... am I missing something?  It appears however that play doctor filtering feature also doesn't work correctly, should be reported as a bug I guess.

bMinor

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 03:08:57 pm »

Tried that already and when i right click a song and select Play with Play Doctor it still inserts duplicates of the same name.

here is a screenshot...

http://www.groovydomain.com/PlayDoctorDuplicate.png

yeah, right clicking a song produces tons of duplicates no matter what.
typing directly into Playing Now's play doctor however (name, artist, or genre) produces way better results, at least as far as duplicates are concerned.

MediaDemon

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 02:03:12 am »

Firstly. just let me say I love Play Doctor and use it most days. It's a great concept. But I'm having the same duplicates issue too and I'm also using the latest version of MC 23.

One thing I have noticed is that although there are a few duplicates in the original 100 tracks (provided the scope of the seed is not too narrow), the main problem starts when Play Doctor starts adding extra tracks once the earlier ones are played. This is where I see most of the duplicates coming in.

I have the duplicate name filtering set up correctly and I also have a setting to prevent songs being selected if they have already been played in the last 30 days. Play Doctor generally seems to take notice of these settings when building the original list but not when adding to the list during play. It is particularly bad at adding multiple copies of seed tracks that have already been played. It's as if it takes a snapshot when the list is first created and never refreshes it to account for what has just been played. For example, with my filter settings a track that has just been played should not be played again for a month - but they are frequently added back into playlist breaking both the 'Name' and 'Last played' filter rules.

So perhaps one of the developers could take a look to see if Play Doctor is using the latest refreshed values of the various track attributes when selecting tracks to add to the list. This may remove a major source of track duplication.

bMinor

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 06:11:08 am »

But I'm having the same duplicates issue too and I'm also using the latest version of MC 23.

let's order a doctor for the doctor.
here's my vote.

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 08:20:07 pm »

definitely have my vote... i've been loathing this issue for a couple years now and keep purchasing the new version with this fix as one of my only hopes.  this and the annoying bug where MC doesn't grab the media keys from the keyboard after launch until you first click on the mc window and hit a key and then click on the window a second time.  Can't tell you how many times I have either hit play/pause only to have iTunes throw itself in front of MC and start playing alongside MC doubling the defeat or simply nothing happens and the song keeps playing until I purposefully open MC window and click on it first.  Same lost media key behavior also occurs with my Siri Remote.

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 08:21:17 pm »

Firstly. just let me say I love Play Doctor and use it most days. It's a great concept. But I'm having the same duplicates issue too and I'm also using the latest version of MC 23.

One thing I have noticed is that although there are a few duplicates in the original 100 tracks (provided the scope of the seed is not too narrow), the main problem starts when Play Doctor starts adding extra tracks once the earlier ones are played. This is where I see most of the duplicates coming in.

I have the duplicate name filtering set up correctly and I also have a setting to prevent songs being selected if they have already been played in the last 30 days. Play Doctor generally seems to take notice of these settings when building the original list but not when adding to the list during play. It is particularly bad at adding multiple copies of seed tracks that have already been played. It's as if it takes a snapshot when the list is first created and never refreshes it to account for what has just been played. For example, with my filter settings a track that has just been played should not be played again for a month - but they are frequently added back into playlist breaking both the 'Name' and 'Last played' filter rules.

So perhaps one of the developers could take a look to see if Play Doctor is using the latest refreshed values of the various track attributes when selecting tracks to add to the list. This may remove a major source of track duplication.

yes, yes, and yes... exactly this.  The first 100 songs have duplicates but it doesn't feel terrible but thereafter it is like repeating the same 20 songs over and over forever all day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up