INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 23.0.73 Upgrade Converted File Names to URLs  (Read 2690 times)

prevaljo

• Recent member
23.0.73 Upgrade Converted File Names to URLs
« on: November 02, 2017, 09:10:11 pm »

This is an odd scenario I have had JRiver for a number of years and have been happy with it.  However often when I open it it runs an upgrade to the next minor version which I have no problem with, patches small changes it's great that software is sort of self maintaining.  However when it last upgraded to 23.0.73 when I ran the app after the upgrade the music library was blank, (OK should have taken a backup).  As I waited the library started to rebuild itself, on the surface all looked OK.  There were no Recent Albums  I could live with that.  HOWEVER:

I couldn't play any music.  On looking in the library all the filenames had been changed from C:\Music\Album title\Track.mp3 to a URL http://169.254.237.239:10234/WMPNSSv4/3494343858/ followed by a string of characters....

Which I'm sure means something to somebody.  After I stop laughing I will delete my Music Library and recreate it.

Does have anybody have a clue what happened with my JRiver minor level upgrade...?

prevaljo

• Recent member
Re: 23.0.73 Upgrade Converted File Names to URLs
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:23:04 pm »

I'm probably making an assumption about the file names being changed, perhaps I have never noticed them before ?  I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wildly wrong about this

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 09:24:41 pm »

Try restoring a backup.  MC makes them automatically.

prevaljo

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 01:53:51 am »

Just to add to this post JRiver seems to scan all the drives on my computer to build the library every time I run it.  Needless to say there are a lot of misc audio files collected over time which are not intended to be part of the library.  It also seems to have done the same with image files again not wanted or expected behaviour.  In addition to this it seems to have dropped a number of album covers from the music library.  All in all very odd behaviour from what has been a good product.

prevaljo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 02:03:16 am »

The missing cover art issue is interesting, MP3Tag shows the fact that the individual MP3 files have album art attached but JRiver doesn't display the image.  In the Smartlist - Audio Missing Cover Art list no albums are listed as missing cover art which is obviously an issue as the cover art is not displaying in JRiver but it is there in MP3Tag.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 07:05:38 am »

You may be running the setup program, not the installed copy of MC.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 07:40:42 am »

On looking in the library all the filenames had been changed from C:\Music\Album title\Track.mp3 to a URL http://169.254.237.239:10234/WMPNSSv4/3494343858/ followed by a string of characters....

Which I'm sure means something to somebody.

You are probably running another separate UPNP/DLNA media server application on your computer, and that instead of importing your music library into MC via the physical files on your disk, you are importing the library into MC via that separate server application.

Solution is to turn off that second server application, whatever it is, and instead tell MC to import the library from your C:\Music drive.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

prevaljo

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 12:31:01 pm »

Hi @AndrewFG this would appear to be a good evaluation of the problem. I am running BubbleUPnP to squirt music to a Chromecast audio.  While I was fumbling around this problem I had already "re imported" the Various Artists folder which now displays correctly and shows the filenames as I would have expected.  I will now re-import the entire library.  It does raise the question about why the upgrade destroyed the original library though and replaced it with references to an internal IP number.

Spike1000

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 02:18:28 pm »

Can you restore from a MC backup?

Spike

prevaljo

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 05:26:47 pm »

Previously I had manually loaded the library removed the rubbish audio files which didn't need to be in the library, and was happy.  Played some music recreated my Christmas playlist (yes I know it's sad) and closed JRiver happy my problem was solved.  Today I opened JRiver, and it immediately reloaded my Library, with the URL based entries, each album has now been given a duplicate set of tracks one based on the physical location of the track, the second a URL based location. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 05:43:47 pm »

... It does raise the question about why the upgrade destroyed the original library though and replaced it with references to an internal IP number.
It doesn't do that.  I don't know what you're seeing.

Try restoring a backup.  File > Library ...  MC makes them automatically.  Search for zip files in Explorer if you can't find them.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 05:45:09 pm »

It’s you :)

You need to either turn off the Bubble media server (best solution), or at least in MC tell it to Unload the Bubble media server library. This will leave MC with just its native library loaded from the PCs regular file system.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

prevaljo

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 06:45:20 pm »

But to play music or video to a Chromecast device you do need a DLNA Media server and Bubble has been recommended in the past.

The only recent addition to my machine has been Cyberlink PowerDVD which can play to a DLNA renderer.

I can turn Bubble off but I can't find why it is being auto imported suddenly in the latest release, I have always manually imported music into my library, and I have never imported photos.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 06:57:32 pm »

You need to remove Chromecast and Bubble from your machine in order to see what happens.

AndrewFG is the expert in this area.  Please follow his advice.

prevaljo

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 07:32:07 pm »

Thank you @JimH and @AndrewFG when I went through the Libraries I found one that was loaded in addition to the Main library and was actually a DLNA library, disconnected it and all my duplicates disappeared, my recent additions reappeared and all seems well.  Not sure why that particular library was loading but we'll watch for it in future.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 02:02:14 pm »

You did the right thing. Glad it worked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up