INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio output  (Read 1734 times)

robt

• Galactic Citizen
Audio output
« on: November 03, 2017, 11:46:53 am »

Hi all

Strange one here. I have connected my NUC running MC to my tv via HDMI. I have set the MC audio output accordingly. I can listen to music in flac or mp3 or even a couple of albums encoded in 5.1. I can watch and hear live tv.

If I try to play either recorded tv or any of my many ripped blu rays or dvds (in .mkv format), MC fails to play and gives an error message about the audio output being incorrect or incompatible (or something!). I've tried every permutation of output and format from MC I cant get it to play. It did, just once but then stopped again!

The most annoying thing is that if I play the same files via VLC, they play fine with an audio output to the tv.

Perhaps the clue is that live tv is fine and recorded tv wont play. Is there a difference in the audio format?

All suggestions welcome as this is really annoying!

MikeO

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Audio output
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 10:51:36 am »

Isn’t the tv just 2 channel stereo , mine is. I have a Mede8er which plays in 2 channel but not 5.1 via HDMI

Trying to pass encoded 5.1 to it may fool it

Try down transcoding to 2 channel in the DSP and see if it plays. This way MC is doing the decoding  not the TV

Mike

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 11:04:00 am »

Thanks and yes, the tv is just stereo. I have tried to transcode to stereo but that didn't work. Still got the "problem with playback" message.

Interestingly, I too have a Mede8er which works fine and that's what I'm (trying) replacing with JRiver!

I really dont understand why VLC just works (as does my Mede8er) when JRiver seems to have such a problem with the situation. I've ordered an audio cable I can use with the NUC, a 3.5 optical to toslink that can go direct to my AV amp and we shall see if that works.

Thanks for the suggestions

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 11:13:25 am »

If you're using WDM, try turning it off in Options > Features.

MikeO

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 11:23:19 am »

Are you running hdmi from Mede8er to tv

You can set transcode to 2 channel  in the Mede8er as a test

The other thought is it’s not the first time a hdmi cable has gone “bye bye” maybe try another

Out of interest ..

I run MC for the video library , Mede8er as a Zone with a Zone switch in mc for video

Then hdmi to receiver , hdmi receiver to TV

The Mede8er works well just as a renderer. Shame you can’t buy em any more at the moment

Mike

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 11:54:32 am »

Jim, thanks, I shall try some more options tomorrow.

Mike, yes the Mede8er was (is) a great piece of kit. Been using mine for 5 years or so and in its time the best media streamer. You've made me realise I dont really understand Zones. Are you saying you use and can control the Mede8er as a renderer from MC?

I need to read up about Zones and how to use them.

I will report back tomorrow, I'm confident I will sort this and make it work...

MikeO

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 12:56:55 pm »

Pm me and I’ll show you how
Pages: [1]   Go Up