INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: GUI improvements for MC 9.1  (Read 14940 times)

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
GUI improvements for MC 9.1
« on: June 07, 2003, 12:17:16 pm »

Version 9.1 beta - What a nice surprise!

I didn't expected major changes of the GUI - but *WOW* you did it!!! I love it - I hope that Mr. Jobs from Apple loves it, too, as with the current skin it comes very close to iTunes at first sight ... maybe there should be new skins obtainable soon to avoid a "MediaCenter is a poor copy of iTunes" discussion, as MediaCenter is much more than iTunes...

I thought about making (Mega-Me) Skins for MJ/MC several times, but there were not many changes to do (only colors, some buttons and maybe borders). I'm now looking forward to the new Mega-Me SDK  ;)

Matt wrote at http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1054926807
There are other skinning-only features that exist and that we'd like to do in the future. Drawing everything gives us a lot of freedom.

Keep in mind that just because we draw something instead of Windows drawing it doesn't mean it'll be slower. With a well designed architecture, it can even be faster.

Sounds like there is still hard work to be done - but the new "freedom" seems to be very welcome if it doesn't slows down older systems too much ... if JRiver will manage it to make them even faster *with* skins, I will start to believe that you guys are from outer space  :o

Jim wrote at http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1054926807
The toolbar buttons have moved to the bottom.  This should be configurable ...

I love to see getting GUI stuff more configurable, even if it's only possible together with skins. Concerning the toolbar buttons, my personal opinion is: Take them back where they belong ... but no matter if they are on top or on bottom, they should not destroy the more clean and tidy look that can be done with the new GUI.

Therefore I have a request: Can there be GUI support for an "greyed out" version of the "Toolbar.bmp" in the future (maybe placed in the folder of the skin) to make the buttons less conspicuous when the mouse is off?

Here is an example of what I mean:

A bigger, animated picture is here:
http://www.knickelfarz.privat.t-online.de/mc_gui/toolbar.htm

Thanks,

knickelfarz

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Re: GUI improvements for MC 9.1
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2003, 01:31:58 pm »

While we are at it, how about making all window elements of MC movable & resizable so the user can truly customize MC to his or her liking.

There was a pretty wonderful jukebox program a couple of years back called Siren Express that was so very flexible that every element of the GUI could be repositioned & resized.

I used it for about a year or so & found it to be truly wonderful as I could make it look just like I wanted it.

Having to use a program in only one way like MC is not what I call user friendly (does that expression still exist?).
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2003, 09:16:00 pm »

One thing that could make MC much more user friendly would be a splitted view of the right side to see the Media Library and the Now Playing or a playlist both at the same time.

(See "Now Playing + Media Library view??" thread: http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1054070553 also)

This could be made selectable with a new line in the "View" toolbar pulldown. There could be even a new line to enable or disable the status bar (I think a status bar would be unnecessary with the suggested "Split Library View"). The pulldown would look like that:

With the status bar disabled and the "Split Library View" enabled, selecting "Playing Now" in the tree brings up the known look:

Bigger picture here: http://www.knickelfarz.privat.t-online.de/mc_gui/gui_a.htm

Now, while browsing in the library, the right side is not showing only the selected library content but the selected library content and the content of the "Playing Now" playlist. You can now drag tracks from the upper library to the lower playlist and just put them to the right place in one step.

Bigger picture here: http://www.knickelfarz.privat.t-online.de/mc_gui/gui_b.htm

The same could be done when adding tracks to playlists in existence. Browsing to the disired playlist in the tree changes the lower pane to the playlist's content.

Bigger picture here: http://www.knickelfarz.privat.t-online.de/mc_gui/gui_c.htm

I think this spares a lot of need for manually switching around...

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2003, 12:58:34 am »

knickelfarz,

this definitely gets my vote.... so now lets hope it gets jriver's vote too ;-)

two things for finetuning it:
- add a button on the toolbar that toggles split mode
- make that 'status line' on top of the lower frame a buttonbar that holds buttons like favorites and a quick play lookalike... (and of course playing now)

Ingo

nila

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2003, 01:18:20 am »

LOVELY pictures and exactly what we were all discussing in that thread.

Even the pictures alone just show how great a feature this would be. By looking at them u can almost feel the ease of use :)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2003, 05:35:24 am »

How about this... On those bars across the tops of your Playing Now\Playlist and Media Library panes... Those are actually drop down boxes much like in Windows Common File Dialog boxes, so that you can pick what node of the tree shows up in which pane.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2003, 05:44:45 am »

I See in your pictures

you have Rip CD, Burn CD etc... at the top

I currently have this at the bottom I kind of don't like this i would rather have them at the top.

Is this because you modified the skin or is there a way to change this?

I would also prefer the player at the botom.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2003, 06:35:17 am »

knickelfarz, great stuff! You've truly captured how awesome that split feature would be.

nila

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2003, 07:12:26 am »

Yeah,
the drop down list should have:
- Tree info (displays information relivant to whichever node on the tree is clicked on - if the top window has focus then this changes to reflect where we click in the tree, if the bottom one does then this changes etc) - Could display library, playing now, playlist contents etc
- Burner
- Track Info
- Visualisations
- Slide show
- 3 d thing (new thing that doesn't work for me)
- not sure what else :)

All those could be options in the drop down list for each pane.

This would REALLY take MC MILES ahead of ANY competition.

JoshuaHorowitz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say... other than that MC rocks!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2003, 10:21:37 am »

First of all, to knickelfarz, how the heck do you make such awesome pictures? I can see how some of them could be made with great difficulty by manual image editing, but what about the non-existant shots of the split screen? Amazing. I'd just like to know.

Disregarding this personal mystery, looking at these pictures and trying the new MC 9.1 gives me an incredible feeling of joy for the future. With such a deeply involved and helpful user (fan!) base and a super-human team of coders, designers, and troubleshooters at J River, Media Center has truly become the most amazing media player to ever exist, and will continue to advance at a pace unmatched by any other software project. I still can't figure out why it's not that every computer with at least 1 MP3 has Media Center installed. We have to proselytize.

I of course agree with having the split windows have drop-down lists. Just make sure "Handheld" is on the list (along with "Burner"). Also, as I find having to right-click on dividers annoying, I agree there should be a toolbar button.

Maybe there could be something where you can display a sub-tree (or sub-list) of the main tree in the top window. I could have a "Genre" view scheme in the left tree and configure the top split-window to show a list of artists in that genre. Clicking on a genre would update the list of artists, and clicking on an artist would update the list of tracks in the bottom view. It would add a lot of flexibility, as there's only so far a tree can go and still be useful.

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2003, 11:12:02 am »

Maybe there could be something where you can display a sub-tree (or sub-list) of the main tree in the top window. I could have a "Genre" view scheme in the left tree and configure the top split-window to show a list of artists in that genre. Clicking on a genre would update the list of artists, and clicking on an artist would update the list of tracks in the bottom view. It would add a lot of flexibility, as there's only so far a tree can go and still be useful.

I agree with all of you. The split-window would give an amazing funcionality to Media Center. While in Artist/Album view (in the tree), clicking on an artist could give the album thumbnails in the upper window and the track listings in the lower one... clicking now on a thumbnail cover album, the track list of that particular album would show on the lower window... and the possibilities are endless.

Thanks Knickelfarz for taking the time to show us how it would work and for the amazing pictures.
---
Listening to: 'Yesterdays' from 'The Complete Riverside Recordings [BOX SET] (Disc 1)' by 'Wes Montgomery' on Media Center 9.0

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2003, 11:47:43 am »

i wish that you move the play control in the bottom and the toolbar buttons in the top
and also the play controls i wish it to be in the bottom as a toolbar and we can use from view a toolbar mode that leaves the play controls in a ruler over the start menu and cannot be moved (just like realone player)
Tamer

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2003, 06:30:46 am »

Wow, great thread!  Thanks everyone. (especially knickelfarz)

Keep the ideas coming :)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

NoCodeUK

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2003, 06:46:42 am »

Matt,
I think the best idea that has come about so far is the idea of VS.NET style interface with movable/dockable toolbars etc.  Is this a possibility or would it involve too mcuh of a reprogramming effort?  It would be nice to be able to dock the properties window to the right hand side if we so choose and also to be able to have it auto hide like the tool box in VS.  When the app went into full screen mode it could simply auto hide all the bars but they would still be accessible if necessary by hovering over the correct area of the screen.  Also are you likely to update the transport controls that appear in Full Screen mode?  The new transport is really nice but the one in Full Screen now looks very outdated in comparison.  Kinda like a WMP style scroll down or if not to directly copy maybe a fade in...

Just a few thoughts ;D

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2003, 09:59:52 am »

adam, we need toolbar mode like in realone player!
Tamer

NoCodeUK

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2003, 01:28:08 pm »

I don't think I would like to see MC go down the real one route.  I'm afraid I got tired of Real Ones interface very quickly

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

NoCodeUK

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2003, 02:07:56 pm »

Would it be possible to add a view style where an artist view would show album thumbnails but clicking on the thumbnail would then show the indivdual tracks in a list view?  I really like Album thumbnail view at asrtist level but find it unecessary at Album level.

Adam

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2003, 02:12:09 pm »

The latest beta has support for greyed out toolbar images and has a playing now in the file properties area.

Thanks for the ideas!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

NoCodeUK

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2003, 04:41:24 pm »

Here is my implementation of my ideas for the GUI based on how it stands now.  Pretty much how things are but simply moving the Properties bar back to the right hand side and having a permenant cover display area for the currently highlighted (in library mode) or playing (in playing now mode) track.  Things to note are the fact that the properties bar is a VS.Net style pinable toolbar eg it can be there permenantly or it can autohide if you remove the 'pin'

Adam

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2003, 05:47:15 pm »

Thank you all for the lovely replies and the feedback - the JRiver forum is quit great!

Special Thanks to Matt - You're really fast  ;)
I saw the "ToolbarInactive.bmp" stored in "Default Art" folder. Let me make one more suggestion: If the image should stay there in the future, it should be really "GREYed out" to fit better to the background of different skins (it's something more purple right now). If it would be placed in the skins folder, it could be edited to be more suitable for every skin...
And Matt - It's so nice to see those toolbar buttons up there again  ;D

The "Playing Now" in the properties area is quite a good idea! It could be used to prepare playlists, for example, something that will spare a lot of time and switching around ... A great start to get closer to something like "split view". But I had some more things in mind, when I thought about what to reach with the "split view". So I would like to go a step back and continue with my considerations  ;)

I of course agree with all of you about the missing pulldown menues to select what is to be shown in the panes. But these pictures were just some quick sketches - made from screenshots edited with some copy, paste and pixel pushing under a magnifying glass :-)

Doof suggested to handle the "...drop down boxes much like in Windows Common File Dialog boxes, so that you can pick what node of the tree shows up in which pane." I'm afraid that this would be too close to be a duplicate of the tree and that maybe some people would like to select things that are not available in the tree.
I also think those pulldowns should not only influence what is displayed but also the way how it's shown. Therefore I would chose a "normal" pulldown and add some submenus to the pulldown to select even the "style" (for items were it would make sense). Here is an example:

Bigger picture here:
http://www.knickelfarz.privat.t-online.de/mc_gui/pane_pulldown.htm

Choosing the "Standard" item could reflect the "normal" behavior of MC when browsing in the tree (like the "Automatic" option for list styles).
Choosing "Tree items", "Visualisation", "DSP Studio" or "Tools" will allow to set up the desired pane view.

I tried to make a list of all items that could be there in the menu (and submenues), but it would be too long to show it as text here - please take a look here:
http://www.knickelfarz.privat.t-online.de/mc_gui/pulldown_list.htm

I guess you will figure out that there are still some things missing in the list :-)

Maybe you will wonder "What are all those list styles for??"
Well, at the moment, only "Cover + Album" and "List Only" can be shown in MC. But I can't stop dreaming about being able to select from more list styles like "Cover + Album Details" (great for browse through collections and select tracks right from there...)

Bigger picture here:
http://www.knickelfarz.privat.t-online.de/mc_gui/list_style_1.htm

Doof, Nila and JoshuaHorowitz already made some hints at interaction between the panes and the tree or nodes of the tree. Using the "split view", this interaction becomes an important point as it leads us to some major questions:

- What happens to my choosen views in the panes when clicking somewhere in the tree? Will they be remembered?
- Which pane is influenced by the tree? Can I influence both at the same time? Can this be configured?
- How can I avoid conflicts between tree and pane views?

I'm afraid that the possibilities that can be reached with the "split view" would be half useless if it would be necessary to set up the pane views again and again ... So there has to be something to store the pane views, link them to nodes of the tree and to give the user only useful choices to select from. I will try to make some suggestions how to manage this...  ;) (as always, help is welcome!)

Maybe you have noticed the pulldown item "Link View To Tree Node" in the pulldown example. Selecting this item would open a dialog box like this:

Bigger picture here:
http://www.knickelfarz.privat.t-online.de/mc_gui/node_properties.htm

The preselected node of the tree in the "Node View Properties" dialog maybe placed to reflect the pane where the focus is currently set to (if possible/making sense...). You can now select the preselected or another node and click OK. Maybe you want to link your current pane view to a new node below one of the main nodes in the tree, so you can select one of these and click the "New Node" button.

After confirmation of the "Node View Properties" dialog another dialog box opens - it's an extended version of the known "View Scheme Properties" dialog (if "New Node" was selected, some fields of this maybe be empty at this moment...):

Bigger picture here:
http://www.knickelfarz.privat.t-online.de/mc_gui/view_properties.htm

Within the "View Scheme Properties" you can now see your pane views at a "save place" and finish the process. From now on, every pane view setting is linked to a node in the tree and can therefore be accessed via the tree.

Of course, these "pane view schemes" would also be able to be edited or even made directly from the tree by opening the "View Scheme Properties" from there (maybe more for experts...).

This all means, that there will maybe the chance to make even the tree more configurable by using the "split view". For example, there could not only be "Find CD" and "Artist Info" below the "Playing Now" node but also "Artist Info + Libary", so you can do a search at allmusic.com in the upper pane to compare something with your library in the lower pane...

I know that there are still some items at issue with the described process to make "split view" fly ... but maybe it's an acceptable takeoff point :-)

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2003, 06:21:21 pm »

Sorry - I forgot to load up two files to my webspace. But right now, I can not get access via ftp to that server ... Argh >:(
Please be patient, I will load up the missing files later...

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2003, 12:50:55 am »

JRiver... hire this man!!!   :D

RMB

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2003, 01:40:33 am »

While all the improvements to the GUI are being done.....

Are you going to do something about TV and Web Radio?

I feel that they really are no where near up to the rest of the product.

Also, any intention to make the columns available for display reflect the type of files being displayed?
Image files do not really have a 'Duration', nor Music have a Height for example.

When you do get to the Web Radio area could we have each station remember a sort of pre-amp setting?  Currently I get a reasonable amount of consistency in the audio files played in MC since they have had the 'Analyse Audio' done on them - but when I change to web Radio, some stations are much louder, others very quiet.  A pre-amp setting would allow them to be adjusted similar to that done by the Audio Analysis.

Thanks.
RMB

NoCodeUK

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2003, 01:42:58 am »

That sounds like a fantastic suggestion knickelfarz.  That would solve one of my issues which I presented in the bug thread about the inconsistency of the album grouping feature.  If we could have a cover + details view this would eradicate this.  At the moment Artists with multiple albums show album thumbs but artists with single albums show track thumbs.  This cover art + details view would make things a lot more consistent.  In fact I think I would probably use something like this as my default view for most of my schemes

Adam

NoCodeUK

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2003, 01:45:11 am »

RMB,

You can already remove irrelevant columns by right clicking on the columns and selecting visible columns.  Choose what you want to appear then right clcik again and click save current settings.  The view scheme will then always appear with the settings you saved.  No more image durations...

Adam

RMB

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2003, 02:05:11 am »

NoCodeUK,

I know that the columns can be tailored - I have already done so!

I just wondered if the extraneous entries are going to be removed from the options.  Not exactly a shattering difference, I know.
RMB

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2003, 02:31:22 am »

I like the new GUI - but few things could be improved! I like the idea of having a separate window for the cover art, as I was not really happy with toggling back and forth between album and detail view!

1) Display of current zone is missing!

2) The Top row with Music Title and Search could be improved. What about this:

a) One line Window for music title on top
b) One line Window for search below music title window
c) Status Window on the right

something like this
________________________   ___________
| The Beatles - Yesterday  |  |  0:05 / 6.50 |
---------------------------  |  5.38 kbs     |
_______________________   | 5 of 12                 |
| Search: _____________  |  |  Zone: 1          |
---------------------------   -------------

So there would be much more space for title and search window! Also the windows should be configurable on what we want to display and it should be according to media type, as there are other properties that need to be displayed depending whether it is audio, image or video (and later on: TV and Radio). Also for combined audio/image display both information should be available for display!

3) The Content View should have a multi-line detail view, so that albums could be displayed in a more concise way like:
The Beatles - Revolver - 1965
-------------------------
#1 Title 1 - Duration
#2 Title 2 - Duration
#3 Title 3 - Duration

The Beatles - One - 1999
-------------------------
#1 Title 1 - Duration
#2 Title 2 - Duration
#3 Title 3 - Duration

Of course, it should be configurable what is displayed on line 1 and what on line 2 and of course dependent on media type.

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2003, 05:31:55 am »

I now was able to load up the missing pictures to my homespace - sorry for the delay, please look again at my last post

JRiver... hire this man!!!   :D
LOL - There's no need for that, they already have a stunning team at JRiver - much more skilled than I am!!! Anyhow, after reading through the "What makes a good bar?" thread I decided to stay in Berlin for sure - Cheers!  ;D

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2003, 05:59:03 am »

Wow, you guys never cease to amaze me ...

"Cover + Album Details" List Style, 2-Pane View, and Independent Cover Art/Properties Pane (-on right-) ... These are all GREAT !!!

I hope that some may be adopted by the JRiver team.

Marra

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2003, 06:30:47 am »

Wow - this is exciting stuff! I too am excited about all these potential "list styles" as suggested by Knickelfarz but why limit it to album views.

For finding artists (compared with finding albums) you might show :
1 Image of artist
2 Bios of artist (expandable)
then album details, then track details.

For all those "genre freaks" (yes I'm one) a list style might include a description of the genre then artists, then album, then track details. This description would be useful for unfamiliar users.

Going silly, a list style for searching by year might include a description of major hits/influences for that year.

That is basically breaking down Media Library (audio) list style options beyond album first priority.

Sorry, no fancy pictures.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2003, 06:33:23 am »

Those are all really awesome ideas knickelfarz. I too, really hope JRiver decides to incorporate them. It would just add even more power to what's already the most powerful multimedia app out there.

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2003, 09:40:47 am »

... why limit it to album views.

For finding artists (compared with finding albums) you might show :
1 Image of artist
2 Bios of artist (expandable)
then album details, then track details.

Quite good idea ... This leads me back to an idea I had some days ago when I was thinking about what to do with those "calculated fields". I was thinking about something I would call "Media Links"... Here is an example for Artists:

When the database is searched to build up a list view for audio tracks, it also searches in the artist fields of image and video files. If there are matching results, these are counted. After the search the list view is build up with a new column named "Artist Media Links". In this column the counted results for other media files are displayed as links:

Bigger picture here:
http://www.knickelfarz.privat.t-online.de/mc_gui/medialink.htm

By selecting one of the links, the list view changes and displays the linked images (in this case maybe covers of Bob Dylan Albums and old pictures of him you collected in the sixties...) or a list with videos (in this case maybe some weird TV shows with Captain Beefheart you once recorded).

Again, there are endless possibilities  ;D

nila

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2003, 11:49:21 am »

I finally got a bit of free time to myself.
Wahey!!
Been sooo busy recently. Still have a backlog of 3 websites I have to make but they can wait a few more hours before I start.

Here's my idea GUI for MC.

http://www.hostnila.com/temp/mc.jpg

A. The current tree view
B. Clicking on a small button below the search box opens up the search box that appears for smart playlists etc. This new extended search box displays the full search parameters currently being used for the node on (like v9 used to do) letting users see it and if they want also edit it while still having the main search bar there.
C. The top Window to display information
D. The bottom Window to display Info (can be minimised by clicking on the frame edge just like properties etc can be now).
E. The current properties window - set as default to display cover art (can also be hidden like currently to give a more minimalistic view for those who want it) - can still be changed to whatever else. - Would be idea for things like: Image, Statistics, Format
F. The main properties window that we used to have in v9. - can also still be changed to any of the other items. - perfect for editing a lot of tag info, the playlists, etc.

http://www.hostnila.com/temp/mc2.jpg

G. Display what is being shown in the window. - Clicking on either produces a drop down list of the items that can be displayed in the window.
Values would include:

- Playing Now (could be accessed via the tree but just added for ease of use)
- Tree Contents (acts like media library does)
- CD Burner (could be accessed via the tree but just added for ease of use)
- Track Info (like in playing now)
- Visualisations (like in playing now)
- all other options currently available in playing now
- Anything else anyone thinks of

I think this GUI would give MC HUGE amounts of power and would let people get HUGELY technical with it and make it FAR superior to any other jukebox out there for managing large amounts of data.

It could also, if set up like this, VERY easily be minimised to make it look simple for beginners.

The extra search bar could be toggled out of sight by clicking the button, the small properties window could be hidden by clicking the frame, the extra window could also be hidden by clicking on the frame and it would make it appear like v9 but with the new GUI.

Get MC anything like this and in terms of GUI it'll be there for me. Power, simplicity, all in one.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2003, 12:43:41 pm »

I just had another idea.  I will try and do a mock up but until then...I just felt I had to share it first.  One of the comments about 9.0 was that the image support wasn't quite there yet.  9.1 has gone some way towards remedying that as we can now use dat fields properly but using knicelfarz split panes ideas what about a split pane image view?  Thumbs in the top pane.  Large version of selected image in the bottom.  Hover over the large image and a toolbar appears like the one in IE when you hover over an image with options to resize, rotate, email or send to ftp website

Just a thought!!

www.jriver.com/photos/NoCodeUK/MC9GUIImage.jpg

The icons are a bit ropey but they give you the idea and I did not update the status bar or info at top.  Proof of concept and all that ;D

Also notice image info pane where cover art was displayed.

Adam

PS Thanks to knickelfarz for reducing the size of my Pic!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2003, 02:55:53 pm »

Adam,
Can you make the image a little smaller?  Best to post a thumbnail and a link to a bigger image.

Thanks,

Jim

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2003, 04:45:54 pm »

Adam, you seem to have some small play controls at the bottom right of your task bar. They don't look like the standard WMP9 buttons. What program are they from?

It would be superb if MC9.1 could have a task bar toolbar like you've shown. I have tried to get a colleague to use MC9 and he said that he would only consider using it if it had one of these tool bars. There are a lot of people who like this feature of WMP9.

sraymond

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2003, 08:12:03 pm »

Phil,

I had mentioned once about craeting a Windows Toolbar for MC.  For example, Nplayer has a cool toolbar:

Does anyone know how hard it is to create Windows Toolbars?  I imagine the MC part is easy by using the command line commands.

Scott-

NoCodeUK

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2003, 02:26:12 am »

He He.  I had forgotten about that.  That is my own MC toolbar that I made.  I designed the icons myself (hence the lameness! ;D)  It is basically just a windows Taskbar toolbar that points to a folder containing shortcuts to MCC Commands.  The first icon launches MC then there is a play, stop, next, previous and volume up/down.  It allows me to minimize MC to the tray and still control it.  I did not know how to add a display so at the moment it is control only.  I can send you the shortcuts if you're interested.

Adam

sraymond

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2003, 06:16:25 am »

Adam,

So it's not hard to create the Taskbar Toolbars (like the Nplayer example I showed)?  How is it done?

Scott-

NoCodeUK

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2003, 06:27:09 am »

Nope...very easy to do the toolbar although I cannot help you with the display thing as I couldn't do that.  I basically have two folders in my docs one called MC Icons and one called MC Toolbar.  You can probably guess what each one is for ;D  Once you have the folders set up create an icon for each command and place it in the Icons folder.  Then put shortcuts to the commands in the toolbar folder so for example the shortcut to the play command would be mjextman.exe /MCC 10000,0 (I think that is it, this is off the top of my head.  Check the MCC reference).  For each shortcut change the icon to the one you want from the MC Icons folder.  Once you have shortcuts to all the commands you want right clcik the task bar and select Toolbars/New Toolbar...  Tell it you want a custom folder and then browse to the MC Toolbar folder.  Bingo....

It was actually from seeing your Nplayer Post that I came up with the idea.  it is really juist like the quick launch toolbar only all the shortcuts point to MCC commands.

Hope this helps

Adam

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2003, 06:34:53 am »

I've created my own MC9 toolbar after seeing Adam's post. Here's a screenshot of it:

I created it in almost exactly the same way as Adam described in his second post.

First I created shortcuts to mjextman with the correct parameters in a folder called Media Center 9.1. I then created icons in a folder called MC9 Toolbar Icons and set the shortcuts to use these icons. Next I right clicked on the Task Bar and selected Toolbars > New Toolbar. I browsed to the Media Center 9.1 folder containing the shortcuts and clicked OK. Next I unlocked the Task Bar and switched off Show Text and Show Title. I also rearranged the buttons then locked the task bar again. This gave me a working toolbar.

You can download the icons and shortcuts I created here.

I'm not 100% happy with the icons but they'll do for the time being.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2003, 10:45:52 am »

Nice one phil.  The icons are better than my lameo efforts.  I had to design them in paint as it was the only thing I had that would save out to .ico and it didn't save the alpha information properly...

Adam

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2003, 03:11:29 pm »

No problem. The icons were made using the gif files from the PixOS mega me skin and a shareware icon editor I downloaded this afternoon. They'll do til we get a proper toolbar from J River (hint, hint ;D)

nila

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2003, 03:32:37 pm »

Hey Adam,
U can save them as .bmp's as long as u save them indexed with the windows pallete then just rename them - I know photoshop does it, not sure what other programs - most decentish paint ones I'd imagine would do it.

This would be a VERY clever work around for MC if it offered to install the MC task bar controls - it could just do exactly what you've done but automate it with the installation and use some professional done graphics - it would make MC appear to duplicate WMP which would impress a LOT of people - What'd you say Matt? Fancy impressing everyone? (even more)

NoCodeUK

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2003, 03:32:52 pm »

Yeah cheers.  I knew I could save as bmp and then change the extension.  I am not sure why I had to use Paint but I know ther was a reason at the time.  I also have serif photo plus, photoshop elements and photoshop on the system so there must have been a reason ;D

Adam

NoCodeUK

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2003, 03:34:37 pm »

Yeah Id quite happily sell my idea ;D

Adam

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2003, 04:04:48 pm »

I posted the same idea in 195 beta thread, but no change on 196 or 197.  So, I'm posting it again here with a hope it may change something.  hehe.  ;)

My idea is simple.  Why don't we move small "repeat", "shuffle", and "DSP" buttons from the right side of playback bar to the right side of volume bar?  Who want to move cursor over LOOONG playback bar to just push one button?

Thanks.

MachineHead

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2003, 04:19:52 pm »

Bleh! The more I look at this version, the more I despise it.

Playing Now is way to big. There has to be a better use of screen real estate then what is currently playing. I already know the songs. I put them there in the first place. And don't give me crap about when someone else is using my computer at a party. That is not an everyday occurance, and wouldn't happen anyway. Search would be better implemented there then the tiny slot it is shoved into now. Regardless if it grows with string.

Toolbars are not natural. Some at the top. Some at the bottom. To much mouse movement for something that should be more logically grouped.

File properties was better on the right side where it could be extended to the left fully if needed. It was a one click deal. Now there is another pane seperator that you have to fumble with for the same view. Want real improvements? Use tabbed views instead. They work. This looks like some wannabe came up with a cruel joke for usability.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2003, 04:44:58 pm »

Sorry Machinehead but the only thing I agree on is the proeprties pane should be back on the right.  Everything else you hate I see as an improvement.  You can always go back to 9.0 if you don't like it...

Adam

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2003, 04:45:53 pm »

Here's an idea.

1. Resize Playing Now so it's not so big.
2. Clear out the toolbar buttons from the bottom and put them at the top.
3. Resize the Properties box to the size you want.

With the prototype Media Library scrolling trees are less of an issue, so you can slide the File Properties box up much farther without interfering with the tree.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up