INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not writing all tags to mp3 files  (Read 1763 times)

contium

• World Citizen
Not writing all tags to mp3 files
« on: November 08, 2017, 12:12:33 pm »

I thought I had this figured out. MC23 isn't adding audio analysis tags or embedding cover art in mp3 tags. Works fine for FLAC or m4a. All my mp3 files previous to July 2017 have audio analysis tags and embedded cover art. "Update tags from library" doesn't write them. I have the mp3 plugin set to write ID3v2 tags. I have "Analyze audio for audio files" in media import checked as well as "Update tags when file info changes" in options. Is there another setting I am missing?

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Not writing all tags to mp3 files
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 12:35:20 pm »

I just added a pile of mp3's and I'm not seeing your issue, all tags including cover art and the analysis is embedded. Now I analyze manually and embed cover art manually so maybe this is the difference....just saying
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 03:18:45 pm »

I just dropped a clean, untagged mp3 file into a watched folder. It was imported, Audio Analysed, and ID3v2.3 tags were written to the file, including Cover Art. The tags correctly identify MC23.0.81 as the tool that wrote the tags.

I haven't changed the default settings under "Options > Audio > Advanced > Configure input plugin... > mp3 input plug-in..." so both ID3v1 and ID3v2 are set to "Save (create if necessary), and the "Ignore ID3v2tags during analysis" flag is unchecked.

Note that I haven't installed any additional plug-ins into MC, so I am just using the built-in / automatically installed versions. You couldn't have an old plug-in installed by any chance, could you?

Other than the above, file permissions? Inherited from the folder they are in?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 07:25:35 pm »

MC will write tags to the mp3 files, just not the audio analysis data or cover art. Tag dump doesn't show it and mp3tag doesn't show it. It will add audio analysis tags and cover art to flac and m4a in the same folder. Has to be a setting on that PC. MC22 does the same thing. MC23 on another computer will add the tags.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 07:58:15 pm »

Well in that case, as I mentioned, the only thing I can think of that would be causing the issue is an old mp3 plug-in installed on the problem PC.

If you are game, on the problem PC;
Backup your Library. It will have all your Views, Playlists and Settings in it, including registry settings.
Uninstall MC23 completely, including Registry Settings and Library files.
Reboot the PC.
Reinstall MC23.
Restore your MC23 backup including Settings.

MC will need to re-download and install components, which it will do when you start playing media files. I'm not sure about additional plug-ins, but keep an eye on what gets installed.

Did the problem go away?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 01:23:43 pm »

No dice. Did a complete MC23 uninstall, deleted the windows user, rebooted, created new user, installed MC23, did NOT restore library, imported a folder and the same problem persists. No audio analysis tags or cover art for mp3 files when inspected with mp3tag. Doesn't write the JRiver tool tag either. Other formats still all fine.

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 01:49:30 pm »

Correction. After doing all above, it appears MC23 is now writing the tags. Other players show the tags. Not sure why mp3tag still isn't showing them on mp3 but is on other formats.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 03:07:48 pm »

Is it an older version of mp3tag? Maybe because MC is using  ID3v2.3 tags? I read long ago about some issues with versions and readers.

BTW, deleting the Windows User was a pretty extreme step, but I guess that guarantees no registry setting are reused!

Anyway, MC is working, so all is good in the world.  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up