INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Switching from PC to Mac  (Read 1502 times)

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
Switching from PC to Mac
« on: November 17, 2017, 06:26:51 am »

Hi. I just asked this question in the Mac forum, but since it is some sort of 50/50, I try here in the Windows forum as well.
Just got myself an iMac. So what do I do now, and how? Here's a loose plan:
- I purchase and install MC for Mac
- I backup my Music Library from my PC on a memory stick
- I copy my music files to a memory stick
- I open MC on my Mac, put in the memory stick and chose "Restore library from backup" (or what it is called) - and point to the memory stick
Is this about it? Normally, I backup on an EHD, but I haven't quite found out how to find that disk on my Ethernet/LAN yet.
Any help would be much appreciated.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Switching from PC to Mac
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 02:01:15 am »

You won't be able to restore the library from a windows computer to a Mac, because the file paths will be different.

Skip the library backup / restore, copy your files to the portable drive, and create a new library on the Mac.

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 02:53:09 am »

Thanks, Justin. I had forgotten that my tags are stored with my music files, not separated from them.
As for copying the files, I've been told that perhaps Mac will have a little problem with my FAT 32 formatted EHD, so I'll be using Dropbox instead. If no one here protests or suggest otherwise.
(I must admit I'm rather excited about this now . .  :) )

Goatshade

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 04:26:07 am »

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204087

Couldn't this be tinkered to work for your needs? If so, it would be a simple matter to use Rename, Move, & Copy Files... in Update mode on the Mac side, wouldn't it?

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 08:31:27 am »

I’m giving it a try right now. That is, I’m in the middle of copying. I transfer ALL the files while I’m at it, and it will be finished by tomorrow morning.
If you are familiar with Mac; where are these files going, and where would you store them (ie: which path would I be using when it comes to renaming)?
I know we’re over on the Mac part now, and I might as well ask or look around there. I just thought I’d give it a shot. :-)
Anyway, thanks for your help and advice. I was a bit scared of this process to begin with, but then, everything can be repaired! :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up