INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help creating file names for correctly tagging mkv files  (Read 2021 times)

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
Help creating file names for correctly tagging mkv files
« on: November 19, 2017, 10:20:59 am »

I am in the process of moving some more episodic shows to my file server. I started with Battlestar Galactica (bluray) and I have seen a few problems.
The filenames I am using are Battlestar_Galactica_(2003)_S0XEYY. This format worked in the past with older DVD sets. After they were imported by Media Center, the episode names and descriptions would appear and I could use that information to select an episode.

When the BSG files are created, the only tag I see is Title: Battlestar Galactica Season 0X (Disc Z). The files are imported and I end up with just a lot of files with the Title tag information. I can manually change those tags to match the episode name but I never get the episode description. I thought that all that data would be pulled from tvdb.com based on the filenames.

I also noticed that the Razor episodes (a separate disc in the set) are showing up under the original BSG (1977?) icon in a separate Media Center folder. I double checked the filenames and they definitely include (2003) so I don't know what happened in this case either.

What am I doing wrong?
HTPC - Windows 10 64-bit Intel i5, Nvidia GTX 1650 4GB

JVC NX7, Panamorph Paladin DCR, Stewart ST130 G4 140" 2.4:1, Anthem AVM 70, Aerial Acoustics 7T/7CC/10T, Rythmik F18 (2), Paradigm Servo-15, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Sony UBP-X800 Mk2

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Help creating file names for correctly tagging mkv files
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 11:25:48 pm »

I played around with some more movies today and I noticed a few things:

1) Movies seem to have more details associated with them when I ripped the file directly to my Recorded TV folder without renaming the resulting MKV file. For example the movie "The Tender Trap" appears as "THE_TENDER_TRAP_t00.mkv" instead of how I would name it "The Tender Trap.mkv".
2) None of the movies that I ripped today on my local hard drive and then renamed before copying to the MC system picked up any metadata at all.
3) When I ripped TV shows in the past, all of the tag information was picked up correctly when I used the "Title_S0X_EYY" format and renamed the files on my local hard drive before copying them. The results with Battlestar Galactica have been disappointing and are still a mystery to me.

At this point I am going to stop ripping additional movies because I just know I will have to understand the process better or I will end up repeating all my work.

JVC NX7, Panamorph Paladin DCR, Stewart ST130 G4 140" 2.4:1, Anthem AVM 70, Aerial Acoustics 7T/7CC/10T, Rythmik F18 (2), Paradigm Servo-15, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Sony UBP-X800 Mk2

Manfred

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 08:15:41 am »

Taken from JRiver Wiki:
"One syntax that works well for file naming is: Series_name.SxxEyy.Episode_name.File_extension where xx is the Season number and yy is the Episode number. For example:

Frasier.S01E01.The Good Son.mkv
"

Get Movie and TV Info usually finds the corresponding metadata then.

I have around 300 DVD& BD successfully ripped and tagged. DVD' ripped with MC & BD's with makemkv.

For movies I leave the filename e.g. The_Lockout_t00.mkv
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 10:26:20 am »

I started making changes to the filenames but there is not much change in the results.
Each file starts with a hard coded title in the metadata (Battlestar Galactica Season 1 (Disc X)) and I need to manually change each one to the episode name. That is getting tedious with shows that have 60-100 episodes.

I still can't figure out why the first 4 or 5 shows I added worked automatically. The only major difference is MC23 vs MC21 and I doubt that much has changed in the import tool.

However I went ahead and tried MC21 and got much better results. All of the BSG episodes seem to have episode information now (did not check all of them). Most movies were also imported correctly. The only files that had problems were movies that I went back and added _t00 to the filename. If the filename is just "Movie Title" I think the data was imported correctly.

Can someone else try this on MC23?

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 07:11:31 pm »

I do it the opposite. In MC I fill in the episode tags for season, series, episode. Lookup the info. Then have MC rename the files. The only reason I even bother to have MC change the name is in case I lose my library.

I'm sure you've figured this out but episodes on Blurays are often out of order. That is why I started doing it this way. In MC I check the first scene of the episode to make sure it is the correct one then number the episode.
Pages: [1]   Go Up