INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync handheld from Client  (Read 1846 times)

chris13

• Junior Woodchuck
Sync handheld from Client
« on: November 19, 2017, 11:06:21 am »

Hi Forum,

what is the best way to sync two libraries which are located on

1. Windows PC
2. IdPi

Music is stored on a NAS

Windows PC
This is my main computer, where do all my Tag edits and sync my sd card for my car audio. I also create all my playlists here.

IdPi
I use the IdPi for playing the music in my living room. It is connected to my hifi system.

Both are connected with my NAS and have access to the same location where the music is stored. If i edit something or add/delete content on my WinPC i perform an Import on the IdPi. This works great but for playlists it's more difficult. The only way to bring the playlists to the IdPi would be manually export on my WinPC and import on the IdPi.

Currently i discovered 2 alternatives to the above described workflow:

1. Store the music local on the WinPC and treat the NAS as handheld and sync to IdPi which is connected to the NAS.
2. Use the IdPi as library server and connect from WinPC to this library and sync changes. The downside would be to sync from WinPC to SD Card using the IdPi Library, because it would be very slow (I've tested it).

The Problem is the WinPC and the IdPi uses different path names due to different operating systems.

Question: Is there a best practice for my scenario?

Any help is appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sync Libraries WinPC and IdPi - Best practice?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 12:42:53 pm »

You would normally make one the server and use the other as a client.  You could read about Media Server on our wiki.

Only the server will need to import the NAS files.

If you want to allow the client to update the server, you need to use authentication on the server.

chris13

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 01:38:18 pm »

Thank you for your quick answer!

Ok, so the server should be the idPi because i want to be able to play music even if the WinPC is not running.
This works fine, but the downside here is if i want to sync my sd card from the client (WinPC) it will be very slow because it has to download the track first before syncing.
For my understanding this is due to the different file paths of the two Operating systems (Windows/Linux).

E.g.:
Windows: Y:\MyMusic\...
Linux: /mnt/mynas/MyMusic/...

Is this correct?

I want to sync my SD Card from the WinPC because i do a lot of conversion during this process.

Any further suggestions?

chris13

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 01:09:43 pm »

Really, no further suggestions? I thought my setup is quite common (WinPC/IdPi).

My current solution is to use 2 independent libraries. 1 library on the WinPC and 1 on the IdPi. I store as much tags as possible in the file and use the same fields on both libraries. After performing the import task the other library receives the changes because both libraries (WinPC/IdPi) access the same files on the NAS. The downside here is maintaining 2 Libraries for Library fields, Views, Playlists etc.

I would like to use the client/server system and only use 1 library but the handheld sync from the WinPC is very important for me.  The WinPC should be the client, because I don’t want to keep the PC running all the time.

Now, as I already mentioned in my former posts, the handheld sync would be very slow because connected to the IdPi Library (Server) the files first have to be downloaded before sync.

I am assuming this is due to the different file paths on server/client (Linux/Windows).

Is this correct, or am I doing something wrong?

What would be the best setup for my needs?

Synology NAS:
- All music files stored

IdPi (MC22)
- Running as Server (24/7)
- Connected to NAS and Hifi System for Playback, controlled by JRemote

WinPC (MC23)
- Client
- Connected to NAS
- Basic Library maintenance/tagging
- Creation of Playlists which will be synched to the server
- Sync handheld device (w/o downloading the files) for Car Radio

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 02:23:53 pm »

There is a lot in the wiki.  Topics include:

Media Network

Moving Files

I haven't tried it yet, but the IdPi should support a USB drive.  A NAS drive is similar, probably not better.

chris13

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 12:02:31 pm »

I agree the wiki is quite comprehensive.

Do you mean the IdPi with attached USB drive could replace my NAS regarding music? I could give this a try.

Just for clarification:
Does this mean the Client (WinPC) which has the library loaded from the server (IdPi) does directly access the files of the IdPi?
This could solve my issue regarding handheld sync from the client PC (downloading the files before sync process).

My only concerns with this solution are the possible performance degradation due to the lack of Gbit Ethernet and USB3 of the Raspberry Pi.

Has anyone tried this before?

Thank you for your support.

Edit: Maybe the Id Classic would be a better solution?!?

chris13

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 03:37:51 pm »

Update:
I checked the setup with attached USB drive (Music files) to the IdPi (Server) -- no NAS involved. While Playback from Client (WinPC) works fine, the handheld sync from the client to SD Card was not successful (MC on IdPi crashes).

Sync Handheld (SD Card) via USB adapter directly attached to IdPi (Server) is very slow.

So the question is:
Does anyone have success in Sync Handheld (e.g. SD Card) from Client with Setup WinPC = Client and IdPi = Server?

Thank you for support

I think this topic is not anymore related to the windows forum. Could a Admin move this to the Media Network or JRiver Id Forum?
Thank you!

chris13

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Sync handheld from Client
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 12:57:58 pm »

Topic title edited
Pages: [1]   Go Up