INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone tried DVD burning with MC?  (Read 4003 times)

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Anyone tried DVD burning with MC?
« on: June 19, 2003, 04:51:41 am »

Just wondering if anyone has tried creating data DVD's with MC yet.
Anyone?....  

- John T.

Specifics: You should be able to do DVD-R,-RW,+R,+RW. MC burns an ISO9660 file system so it can be used for file backups and for creating mp3/wma/jpeg disks for playing in the newer consumer DVD players that can handle these. The Sony DVD player we have only supports DVD-video style disks which MC can't create (yet) but a cheap Apex player I have ($49.00 at Walmart) can play mp3's and jpeg's just fine. It will only play the files in the first session on the DVD and you have to close the disk before it will work (choose "close disk" from the options menu in the burn dialog).
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

NoCodeUK

Re: Anyone tried DVD burning with MC?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 06:30:33 am »

As soon as I have got myself a DVD Burner I will be trying this out.  Unfortunately that aint gonna be for at least a month ;D

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 08:31:41 am »

well under the burner i selected the DVD drive

when i select the files and send them to the drive they all go to the CD-R\W writer So how do i make sure it is going to the drive i want?

when i go to burn Under settings i can not change the drive to the DVD burner.

Also under my burner 12x is selected thats fine but it also goes upto 48x in the list and My CD-r\w drive is 48X

so it seems settings are not being set or changed correctly.

I noticed this before but since i never use the DVD burner it did not bother me, and was hoping it would be fixed sooner or later.

i guess when i can set the drive i will try it.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 11:43:46 am »

You should be able to drag the files onto your DVD burner. Or select them, right click, and choose "CD, DVD & Handhelds", and then the DVD burner drive. Does that work for you? Which DVD burner to you have?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 11:46:50 am »

It is listed as A

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4020B

1. Draged Files To The Drive Since MC9 Will Not Allow Me To Change Drives.

2. I Just Put It In test Mode

3. Start

4. MC9 Message

"Can't Start The Write."

Should I Attempt To Make A Coster Not In Test Mode?
Fayetteville, NC, USA

kwake

• World Citizen
  • Excellent piece of software, this Media Center...
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 02:27:42 pm »

I recently purchased a Panasonic ( Matshita SW-9571) DVD-RAM drive that supports DVD-R/DVD-RW and DVD-RAM disks.

I plan to backup my MP3 library to a couple of 9.4GB DVD-RAM disks - any chance MC9.1 will support this drive and media?

Thanks,
Kwake

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2003, 03:44:24 pm »

JohnT

I guess mine is not supported?
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2003, 06:59:51 am »

Darn!  DVD-RAM is the only one not supported! I honestly thought DVD-r/-rw/+r/+rw would cover most of the bases.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2003, 07:03:35 am »

LOL That is one of the main reasons I do not have a DVD R drive yet...  Was totally unsure as to which format I should buy!!

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2003, 07:12:52 am »

:) JohnT - It does cover almost all the bases, except one!

Anyway, hopefully it's not a huge undertaking or something nobody else will ask for.

If not, no real big deal as there is always Nero.

Cheers,
Kwake

JohnT

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2003, 10:02:24 am »

For anyone sitting on the fence about buying a DVD burner, I think one of the multi-format burners from Sony or TDK would be a pretty safe solution. They handle -r/rw and +r/rw and it seems that the general consensus is that one of those formats (probably +r/rw) will win out.

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2003, 11:07:50 am »

For anyone sitting on the fence about buying a DVD burner, I think one of the multi-format burners from Sony or TDK would be a pretty safe solution. They handle -r/rw and +r/rw and it seems that the general consensus is that one of those formats (probably +r/rw) will win out.

Yeah, but I had to go for the 9.4GB per disk solution! I understand that these DVD-RAMs are formatted just like a regular hard drive and you can use it in the same way - adding and removing information. I haven't bought one yet, but I plan to back up my entire MP3 collection to 2 of them.

Hope DVD-R doesn't go away though - nice cheap 4.7GB discs.  8)

Kwake

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2003, 01:13:49 pm »

> I understand that these DVD-RAMs are formatted just like a regular hard drive and you can use it in the same way - adding and removing information

I wouldn't read too much into that. Formatting as you say is done in the UDF format. You can do the same thing with RW's (UDF => DCD, InCD, DLA...all packet writers). Point is that despite the ability to use them like a hard drive (or floppy)...they're not. Do a bit of adding and deleting to the disk, then watch as read errors start to stack up...rendering the disk unusable as time goes on (but they can be reformatted still). I've seen this firsthand with RW's, and there's no reason DVD-RW, +RW, and -RAM*** would be any different.

10-27

***I must say I'm not absolutely positive about -RAM. It is supposed to be the best format for data integrity among the three.

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2003, 03:20:02 pm »

> ...Point is that despite the ability to use them like a hard drive (or floppy)...they're not. Do a bit of adding and deleting to the disk, then watch as read errors start to stack up...rendering the disk unusable as time goes on...

Thanks for the feedback xen. I'm actually planning to get all my tags populated (art and lyrics) before writing them once to the DVD-RAM disks, and storing them for safe keeping. I'd then add new tracks to the left over space on the second disc as I obtain and tag them. 18+GB should be enough to store my collection for a while - with a 3rd disc a possibility much further on (I use 128kb as my standard bitrate).

Kwake

xen-uno

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2003, 01:38:59 am »

For archiving/backups, DVD is the way to go. For total security, you may want to create a couple backup sets on -RAM disks from different manufacturers. Reason I say this is that I've got a few CD-R's that although readable, they have developed bad spots. One of them is a install disk which worked about 6 months ago, now it errors out (complains about a bad file). Disk is prestine, too.

Rx

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2003, 11:24:56 am »

Just wondering if anyone has tried creating data DVD's with MC yet.
Anyone?....  

Just tried a DVD-RW, it won't recognize it, gives me an error "E:\ is not accessible. No more data is on the tape"

UPDATE: tried a DVD-R, send files to drive, click on drive, nothing there, no burn dialogue either...

I have a PIONEER  DVD-RW  DVR-104, works great with NERO, DVD Architect and ULEAD DVD WS.

WP

JohnT

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2003, 05:34:07 am »

Just tried a DVD-RW, it won't recognize it, gives me an error "E:\ is not accessible. No more data is on the tape"

UPDATE: tried a DVD-R, send files to drive, click on drive, nothing there, no burn dialogue either...

I have a PIONEER  DVD-RW  DVR-104, works great with NERO, DVD Architect and ULEAD DVD WS.

WP

Weird, I've got the same drive. Using DVD-R, after sending files to it and clicking on the drive, try hitting F5 to see if the burn dialogue shows up.

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2003, 06:33:00 am »

I still get nothing, refresh screen causes no change.

Media Center Registered 9.1.204 -- D:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2509 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 261 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: PIONEER  DVD-RW  DVR-104    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:6  MaxSpeed:20  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Drive G: YAMAHA   CRW2200E           Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:20  MaxSpeed:20  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JohnT

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2003, 09:12:47 am »

Mine's the master on the secondary IDE channel, how is yours setup? (external?).
How about if you put a blank CD-R in it, then does the burning dialog show up ok? Does the burn speed look correct?

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2003, 10:52:25 am »

Master on 2ndary IDE, internal...Doesn't recognize a blank DVD-R or DVD-RW, speeds it shows in info are definitely the CD burning speeds and not DVD speeds.

Apparently it just doesn't seem to recognize that it's a DVD burner at all.

WP

xen-uno

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2003, 11:00:41 am »

> speeds it shows in info are definitely the CD burning speeds and not DVD speeds

Same here for my Sony (Shown as 44x). If 1x DVD = 9x CD-ROM, then the Sony's top speed with +RW's is 2.4x DVD or 21.6x CD-ROM.

10-27

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2003, 06:44:50 am »

Ok, .205 at least shows it as a DVD-R in the tree, but that's it. Still no burn dialogue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up