INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where should I store my music files?  (Read 1802 times)

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
Where should I store my music files?
« on: November 20, 2017, 10:50:02 am »

I'm just getting started on Mac, and need to know what is a good place to store my music files for use in MC. I would like to keep them separate from the iTunes files (which aren't many, anyway).

analoggins

Re: Where should I store my music files?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 06:51:04 pm »

I think they can be anywhere you want them to be on your computer.  My music storage directory for MC is actually on a Synology NAS  device that is mounted on my macbook and all of the other computers in the house.  MC doesn't have any issues reading from this directory and playback works great (I have it set to load the entire album to memory).

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 09:33:36 am »

Thanks for your reply.
Then I'm left with three options for what would be the smartest place to store my music files:
- on Icloud
- Dropbox
- or an external Hard Drive.
While I was still on my PC, the files were stored on my hard disk and a regular back up went to an EHD. So far I've tried storing some files on Dropbox, and there is no immediate delay when playing a track, at least. And in that way, wouldn't a cloud storage sound pretty safe?

analoggins

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 01:52:44 pm »

I think as long as you are using the "memory playback" feature, playback quality will be unaffected by storing the files on Dropbox or any other remote storage.  This is sort of what I am doing with my NAS, it is just that the data is accessed via my wifi LAN to the Synology box in my kitchen, rather than via the wifi LAN->internet->a disk in a data center somewhere.  Cloud storage of my music makes me uneasy for irrational reasons.  I like having a physical device in my house where my files are located, perhaps because I am old enough to have grown up with and purchased most of my music on physical media (cds).  Cloud backup is good, in case my house burns down, but something makes me happy about having a disk spinning in my house sending music data in to my system...

Anyway, it could be that memory playback isn't even necessary.  If anyone knows otherwise I'd be very curious to learn more about the subject :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up