INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9 Bugs  (Read 1841 times)

WantItToWork

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Media Center 9 Bugs
« on: June 20, 2003, 02:47:37 am »

I recently downloaded Media Center 9.  I am still testing it, but it seems to do everything I want - but there are too many bugs in it.  The ones I have found in 1.5 days are :-

-   When importing files to the library the program crashed.  I installed the Media Player 9 plugin it asked for, but this didn't help

-  After several attempts (and clean libraries) I managed to import my files (though not all in one go), but when browsing audio by location a + sign does not appear for some of the folders, even though they contain (multiple) subfolders.

-  When trying to update id3 tags it sometimes says the update has failed, but not why.  It seems to change it in the database, and sometimes in the id3 tags.  Some of the selected files may have been read only, but the program never said this (it would be nice to have an option to update read only files).

-  The program has also crashed on other occasions, such as when using the file | library | Update Library... command.

-  The YADB database does not contain enough CDs.  I would prefer to use a service such as allmusic.com

I really want this program to work, and would definetly buy it if it was more stable (and I know several other people that would as well).

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Center 9 Bugs
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2003, 03:53:05 am »

I use MC everyday for at least 4 hours.  It hasn't crashed for me in about 6 weeks at least.  It could be down to your hardware or your drivers or a number o things.  Overall the program is incredibly stable.  If you have nay specific bugs, report them to the bug thread and they are usually fixed within a couple of days.

The program does not update read only files for a reason.  They are read only!  It is a simple enough job to remove the read only status from the files and then MC will be able to write the tags.

As for YADB search the forum the reasons why J River created there own database rather tthan using one already available.  CDDB increased their prices by 600% and allmusic.com charge thousands of dollars a year for access to their data.  I know I tried to apply to use it in a plugin!

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2003, 04:08:49 am »

Quote -
   -   When importing files to the library the program crashed.  I installed the Media Player 9 plugin it asked for, but this didn't help

>>> I think there are some issues surrounding WMP9. I'm not an expert so maybe try a search through the site to try to get some more info on this topic.

-  The program has also crashed on other occasions, such as when using the file | library | Update Library... command.

>>>> I still get crashes on my W98SE system although they're becoming far less frequent now. It's difficult to know what causing it, it may be Windows itself. MC is getting gradually better in this respect, well, at least for me !!

I really want this program to work, and would definetly buy it if it was more stable (and I know several other people that would as well).
>>> Don't we all !! But remember, you're dealing with BETA software here. If you want a stable version, then go back to version 8 for a while. But, if ya wanna be part of developing a really worthwhile product, then stay with it. It's frustrating at times but the end will justify the means. That said, let's hope there is'nt an 'end'. I've been with JRiver since release 6 or so, and I've enjoyed being part of the, hopefully, never-ending process !!!

Have a good day - oh, and it'll help JRiver sort out your bugs if you post your System Info (available from the help menu) at the end of your post

Best wishes - Jim

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 04:29:03 am »

errr....Forgot this -

I seem to get less crashes if I disable Norton AntiVirus while MC is running.....

Jim

jleerigby

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2003, 02:35:28 pm »

Quote -
  >>> Don't we all !! But remember, you're dealing with BETA software here. If you want a stable version, then go back to version 8 for a while. But, if ya wanna be part of developing a really worthwhile product, then stay with it. It's frustrating at times but the end will justify the means. That said, let's hope there is'nt an 'end'. I've been with JRiver since release 6 or so, and I've enjoyed being part of the, hopefully, never-ending process !!!

Have a good day - oh, and it'll help JRiver sort out your bugs if you post your System Info (available from the help menu) at the end of your post

Best wishes - Jim

Agree with everything you say here JollyJim except for one thing.  MC9.0 is not beta software.  To a new user that downloads it and is invited to part with $39 there is no mention of being part of a 'developing product that might not be stable'.  9.1 maybe beta but 9.0 is not.

Having said that I'm a new user (9.0) and despite the few bugs I have encountered it's still well worth the money.  In MC's defense, when it does crash, which is pretty rare, in my experience it recovers well so the impact is low.

I suppose total stability = less functionality (unless you want to wait years for them to perfect it which none of us do).  So I give a big thumbs up to MC and, like JollyJim, recommend that you stick with it.

Lee,
Barnsley, UK.

WantItToWork

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2003, 03:08:00 am »

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. :-).  MC seems to be more stable now and I can import all my library.  I don't know what caused the problems.  It could have been very obscure tags (I have now retagged a lot of files), or problems with my software firewall blocking connections, or problems with Real Player not being completely up to date.

I still have the issue that when browsing audio by location a + sign does not appear for some of the folders, even though they contain multiple subfolders - but I can live with that if I must as I can sort by filename.

I can't seem to get the update library function to detect changes made outside the program (eg file name change + id3 edits from Tag & Rename).  It leaves the old reference in the database.  I have got round this by clearing all audio files and re-importing everything.  If I don't clear the library (just re-import media) it still leaves the old reference as well as the new files.

Is it possible to add files manually?  I want to enter information on an *.iso file I backed up but MC doesn't recognise it :-(

Overall, I am much happier with the program and will defintely buy it when the trial runs out.  :-)

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2003, 04:24:36 am »

And just one reminder, all software, no matter who (what company) wrote it, how much it costs, etc., crashes.  There's always someone, or a group of people who have systems configured differently than anyone else, or who have all kinds of junk (i.e. me) installed with services running that are going to interfere with MC.  And, as noted earlier, MC 9...25 is in BETA, and the guy never mentioned WHAT VERSION of MC 9 he was using, just that he was using MC 9.  I bet he's not using MC 9.0.180...

Wobbley...

WantItToWork

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2003, 05:13:54 am »

agreed - I know how hard it is to write bug free code.  I started to code my own Media Library until I found MC had implemented most of my specifications.  Saved my alot of work :-)

courtofaudit

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2003, 05:17:43 am »

I agree with you. In case of a headcrash, I had to re-install XP. The advantage is to have a clean system now. MC never ever crashed or showed strange behaviour. I could restore my library and all works well, except the known and reported bugs. MC is a real value. (Using 9.1.203)

nila

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2003, 05:37:15 am »

WantItToWork

Update library isn't to update the tags, it's to just check for missing/moved files etc.

Select the files u want to update - right click - update from tags (always) and it'll update the files for you :)

They already thought of that one for u ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up