INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Feature Suggestion] DSPSwitch  (Read 640 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
[Feature Suggestion] DSPSwitch
« on: November 22, 2017, 11:20:42 am »

One issue that is mentioned somewhat regularly is the fact that create a zone is the method by which you can associate a particular dsp configuration with some set of library items. This makes for a confusing user experience on various occasions but particularly, in my experience at least, when using any of the remotes (which do not understand the concept of zoneswitch and just see them as separate zones).  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,112899.msg781004.html#msg781004 is an example of that behaviour

I previously posted https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,112836.msg780462.html#msg780462 as a suggestion of how to improve this. This post is another take that perhaps might be simpler to implement and which also might address, at least some of, the issues around the per file dsp preset feature.

Basic idea is to create another option named DSP switch which is applied at a zone level, this has the same configuration options as zoneswitch but instead of picking a zone to target, you pick a dsp config from the saved DSP configs. It then behaves similarly in that the first match rule wins. On playback, jriver would then simply apply the specified dsp config at runtime *if* the item does not already have a file specific dsp tag set (hence honouring predefined dsp config rules)

This seems like it might be a simpler implementation from a user point of view, certainly for this user anyway :) as my current zones would simply migrate to the dspswitch settings.

I thought of 2 issues with this

1) dsp config includes output format and you have to stop/start playback to pick up these changes, possible reactions include
- jriver stop/start automatically if it detects a change?
- jriver errors if you pick output format options that clash?
- do nothing and produce the wrong output?

2) using the WDM driver requires a different av sync offset and av sync offset is not a DSP config option, it's a playback device option. Fixes could include;
- make this a DSP option
- special case the WDM driver to make it latency aware and then have it automatically apply that offset to the av sync option when it plays
- do nothing and continue to force the use of zones in this case

I will not be surprised if there are other issues or use cases that this doesn't work for but thought I'd post this anyway.

@JimH any chance of a house view on whether this area will get any attention? even just "yes we agree this is area could be improved but resources.... " or "we don't see this as an area to focus on" would be useful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up