INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old problems with characters  (Read 2344 times)

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
Old problems with characters
« on: November 23, 2017, 03:45:35 am »

I just downloaded a new version of MC/ Mac that momentarily still isn't listed here (version 23.0.83).
One old and one newer bug still are there:
French, Italian... special characters like á, à and so on don't work - editing and confirming them in the special characters box crash MC.
Each time after a restart of MC, the font size is reset to a minimum and I have to re-enter it.

Frank

Iain Fyfe

• Recent member
Re: Old problems with characters
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 05:03:34 am »

Out of curiosity, how are you typing the special characters?  MediaCenter doesn't seem to support the standard OSX ways of inputting special chars that I'm used to, like keeping the key depressed until the options pop-up, or pressing option-char.  Apart from that niggle, I don't have any problems with special characters in my library - Spanish characters like á, é, ñ, ó, ú and ¿ all are fine if they come in the tags already, or if I cut & paste them from somewhere.  Similarly, Japanese and Cyrillic characters are fine.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 04:58:06 pm »

I am typing it in the normal way, nothing special - but on a German keyboard - and perhaps that may cause a problem. I don't have that problem with any other of my applications. All accept and work with special characters without any problem. I would suggest that your keyboard is an English& US one. If I change my keyboard preferences to another language keyboard nothing changes: the same crash as before happens in the special characters box and there is no chance to type any special character into the interpreters tag. But it's no problem to paste a text file with special characters into the song text field and subsequently copy and paste it into another tag field. Now all characters are shown correctly.

Iain Fyfe

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 07:32:15 pm »

You're right that I'm using a US keyboard - this is on a MacBook. But if I switch my keyboard input source to German, I can type ß, ö, ä, ü etc without crashing MC.  I don't understand exactly what you mean by the special characters box, but I wonder if that's the problem.  Agree that MC should support special character input better - now that I know about keeping keys depressed in OSX to access the special characters for each one, it bothers me that MC doesn't support this.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 10:17:35 am »

I wrote about that several times before.
ä, ö, ü do work but à, é, û and so on appear in the interpreters tag
as a, e and u without accents and I use the "specials characters box"
(cmd-k) to write à... (what in former versions worked without a problem)
the app crashes.

Frank

Iain Fyfe

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 07:57:12 pm »

Ah, thanks for explaining this, I didn't know about the special characters box.  I just tried it now, but it's working for me without any crashes.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 03:19:27 pm »

By the way: I really don't understand the sense of this "special character box" and never did since I began to work with MC. And I really don#t understand the problems with foreign letters at all. No other Mac program that I tried in the last 26 year since we worked with a MAC ever had such a problem.

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 09:20:54 am »

JRiver doesn't rely on MacOS libraries but use their own ones derived from their Windows development. It is a common library for Windows, MacOS and Unix as i understand it.

Hence some things don't work as expected under MacOS.

dyang

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 10:47:46 pm »

I guess this is the reason why it shows Korean characters folder names in a wrong way. Korean word (음악) in folder / file name shows up as (ㅇㅡㅁㅇㅏㄱ).   :'( :'( :'(
Pages: [1]   Go Up