INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo tagging  (Read 2664 times)

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
Photo tagging
« on: June 23, 2003, 01:58:49 pm »

I have noticed a little issue while tagging photos, and I wonder if something can be done.

If you have too many People in your people list, and you select a image, probably you will not see all people at a time, and you will need to scroll to check if the image is properly tagged. Same thing would occur if Library contains too many places.

My proposal is to create an option to keep the tagged elements at the top of the list. This way, users will always see the tagged elements for the selected images.

Another nice feature would be that Image tooltips include information about people and places. The actual information (in image tooltips) is almost useless.

Best regards,

Polonio

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Photo tagging
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 02:15:48 pm »

Cool ideas.

My only gripe with putting selected people at the top is that it'd make tagging tricky because the list would keep jumping around as you selected different files to tag.

The list of people does get really long though, so we need to figure something out...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 09:26:45 pm »

The list of people does get really long though, so we need to figure something out...

That's right Matt.
A nice thing would be to allow for hierarchical grouping under a particular tag by introducing groups. Like in APA it is possible to create sub-categories in tags.
For example under People you can create subtags family, friends, workmate, etc..

A way to mimic this with MC is to create a playlist hierarchy (People/family, People/friends, etc) and setup a playlists view scheme. It works quite well but of course this kind of (playlists) tags is not saved within the files.

just my 2 c

Christian
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

sraymond

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 09:34:22 pm »

I used Playlists to manage the photo tags at first, but quickly gave it up when the true "tags" appeared.  Saving the tags in the photo is a must for me - especially as I share most of my photos with friends (who I've convinced to buy MC!)

Scott-

NoCodeUK

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2003, 03:01:02 am »

Would it be possible to have a kind of tree within a pane idea?  By this I mean you could have groups within the main categories that would appear in a tree and then the items would appear the same as they do now.  Here is a crappy ASCII example

PEOPLE          PLACES         EVENT

• Family
        - John
        - Jeff
        - Bill
  • Friends
        - Ben
        - George

Hopefully this makes sense!!

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

nila

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2003, 03:44:16 am »

It does except for the fact your drunk and want two identical groups for family and family :)

Cmagic

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2003, 04:57:34 am »

Aren't we all part of the same big universal family ?

• Dad folks
        - Marie
        - Alexandre

-Adam
            -Eve
  • Mum folks
        - Xavier
        - Gabrielle

-Adam
            -Eve

:)
Bob Marley (War)

NoCodeUK

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2003, 06:02:37 am »

Can't see what you mean NIla :P

(He He)

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

nila

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2003, 06:46:11 am »

Would it be possible to have a kind of tree within a pane idea?  By this I mean you could have groups within the main categories that would appear in a tree and then the items would appear the same as they do now.  Here is a crappy ASCII example

PEOPLE          PLACES         EVENT

• Family  <----
        - John
        - Jeff
        - Bill
  • Family  <----
        - Ben
        - George
        - girlfriend (aka mummy)
        - boyfriend (aka daddy)

Hopefully this makes sense!!

Adam

Right there - I've added arrows so U can see :)

nila

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2003, 10:30:09 am »

U sure it's not urs??

Sounds awfully like it? Ur from Alabama right :)

nila

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2003, 02:29:14 pm »

Yeah :)
Couldn't help myself, and with adding the little bit extra's - I know ur from the UK :)

we represent - both full of way tooo many idea's - I used to have as many as u back in the day when I first came ;)

NoCodeUK

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2003, 02:30:49 pm »

Sorry didn't catch your final post there...didn't want this to get outta hand so was removing my posts.  Got in to to many fights here recently :)

Adam

nila

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2003, 02:33:51 pm »

lol
TWIT!!!

Lets see me starting the fight now :)

I'm from the UK too - part scottish so hardly likely to start a fight with me.
I got a great sense of humour and rarely get offended :)

Now go to bed (I'm still at work so am going now - spent all day trying to backup/format then resetup this system!! - its nearly done)

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2003, 03:41:17 pm »

Matt,

I agree that tagging could become tricky if list is reordered each time a new selection is made. At most, it should be an option.

You may want to consider this different aproach: When user maintain pressed a key (CTRL, for instance) people list (or even any list) in panels could filter in order to show only tagged elements. This way, panels would work just like now in "normal" mode, but user would be able to see tagged elements by maintaing pressed the CTRL key. May be, left mouse button could be a better option. I don't know. (this way, tagging also could be tricky, but just for people who knows the trick  :)  )

ITOH, the idea to group people is great, and it seems more necessary for this kind of product. Here is my suggestion:

A new "Data type" could be implemented for MC fields:
<<Hierarchical List (semicolon delimited)>>

"People" field would be this type, and it would allow to input this kind of content:

Family/Uncle Tom
Family/Mom
Friends/School/Peter
Friends/Alice

and so on.

Obviously, a new special panel would be needed: To show (and edit) the hierachy in a proper way.

I know you could group people in a easiest way: Creating the groups in MC Library, for instance. However, I like all information keep stored in the files (not just in the library).

Just an idea to consider.

Regards,

Polonio

Cmagic

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2003, 10:21:14 pm »

What is true for people is also true for places and events.
Grouping places such as:

• UK
        - London  
        - Grimsby
        - Bristol
  • France
        - Lyon  

• Brittany
            - Brest
            - Rennes

would be nice. That's why I like tagging by creating a playlists hierarchy because it allows you to create any type of categories/sub cats you like in the exact same way as APA or Paint Shop Album does.
    The only things missing is a way to store the references to playlists and maybe renaming playlists as categories (like in the good old MJ6 time ;) ).

C.
Bob Marley (War)

nila

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2003, 11:32:49 pm »

Cmagic - to solve what you just posted I have it seperated into two groups.

One for country and one for location.

Then I set the country for each file and then the location.

With the panes, it should then filter down the locations depending on what country you select.

This might work for people too I'm not too sure - even if it doesn't - it might be a way to implement it - make people take up two panes - the first one having the group names - the second one having the values for that group.

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2003, 11:44:23 pm »

Maybe they could be entered into the tags in the following way:

Family(Mom; Dad; Brother); Friends(Bob; Sue; Jim); Coworkers(Brother; Sam; Bob)

Where people could get placed under group names in some sort of tree fashion.

It would be handy if the same grouping options applied to places and events.  For instance, say you've got pictures of your vacation in Canada, and there are lots of different places that you've gone, and in some cases, events that had sub categories.  It might be very nice to have the ability to group places or events together as well.

kiwi
Pages: [1]   Go Up