INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio stations in JRemote  (Read 5383 times)

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
Radio stations in JRemote
« on: November 25, 2017, 05:24:39 am »

Hi,

I followed the Wiki on how to setup Media Center Views for your Streaming Radio Stations so that they become visible in JRemote. I set up a new view called Radio stations just as it is suggested. However, no radio stations show up there. This is also expected because I need to change the tags of the stations I have already added to Connected Media to Media Subtype Radio, but I cannot figure out HOW to change the tags of items listed under Connected Media. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Radio stations in JRemote
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 02:12:35 am »

No one? Am I missing something obvious?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 02:20:07 am »

The only way I know is to save a station that is playing to a playlist.  JRemote should then be able to see the playlist.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 02:33:27 am »

you just save them as an item in the library instead and then you can tag them as per any other item & then they show up in jremote

styxx10

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 04:29:21 pm »

I have mine tagged and associated with the radio buttons that appear in
between the two panes when you've clicked on the zone that's playing.
Drag and drop the link of the source or however you get radio station to
play,then long press on one of the 10 buttons to get it to appear there.
Then in JRemote they appear under playlist car radio. Like most things in
JRiver many ways to get there, it's just whatever works for you

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 04:43:30 pm »

The only way I know is to save a station that is playing to a playlist.  JRemote should then be able to see the playlist.

So why does the Wiki suggest they should be saved to Connected Media. This is not the first time that I am told to do one thing by the documentation only to find out that it does not work and I should have done something quite different. Why have documentation? Sorry, but this can get very frustrating.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 04:44:31 pm »

I have mine tagged ...

Could you let me know HOW you tagged them? I just can't seem to figure that out.

styxx10

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 05:45:11 pm »

If you have a URL to the stream you want to listen to you can copy and paste it to the playing now screen at the top and it will connect or you can cut and paste the link to the File , open URL in the menu drop down. JRiver is a very complex piece of software and can be quite frustrating, the good thing is you are among many that have trodden the same path. It's a learning curve, but worth the effort. Many here will help you.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 01:53:19 am »

So why does the Wiki suggest they should be saved to Connected Media. This is not the first time that I am told to do one thing by the documentation only to find out that it does not work and I should have done something quite different. Why have documentation? Sorry, but this can get very frustrating.
Sometimes more than one way works.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 02:20:33 am »

Could you let me know HOW you tagged them? I just can't seem to figure that out.
go to file/open url
paste the URL in
once it starts playing
go to playing now
right click the item that is playing, there should be an item at the bottom of the menu "import into library"
click that

now you can tag it as usual

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 02:22:55 am »

go to file/open url
paste the URL in
once it starts playing
go to playing now
right click the item that is playing ...
I do the same, but at this point, I choose Send To > Playlist > Create New Playlist.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 05:02:18 am »

This thread encouraged me to add radio streaming to my setup, especially to use with JRemote.

I created a Radio Stations playlist, and used the Open URL/drag from Playing Now to the playlist method.  Worked perfectly.  Also put some of the stations on Car Radio buttons.

Only snag was that HLS streams which play fine in MC wouldn't stream via JRemote, but I was able to find mp3 feeds (albeit lesser quality) for the same stations that would.

Awesome stuff.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 03:54:44 pm »

Sometimes more than one way works.

Hi Jim,

If that is the case, could you explain how the Wiki suggested way works, once the URL is already part of the Connected Media section?

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 03:55:50 pm »

go to file/open url
paste the URL in
once it starts playing
go to playing now
right click the item that is playing, there should be an item at the bottom of the menu "import into library"
click that

now you can tag it as usual

Thanks a lot Mattkhan, that worked at least, but once I have imported it where does it end up. I looked for it in Audio and could not find it.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 04:01:29 pm »

I would expect it to have Media Type = Audio and pretty much no other tags set. This means I would expect to find it somewhere in the audio view though that depends whether you've customised that at all.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 04:42:37 pm »

I would expect it to have Media Type = Audio and pretty much no other tags set. This means I would expect to find it somewhere in the audio view though that depends whether you've customised that at all.

Indeed, but I cannot find it there. What I ended up doing was right-clicking the link and sending it to a playlist called radio stations. That worked. What I do not understand is why when we import the link into the library it doesn't show up anywhere, so what is the point of importing it. This step can then presumably be skipped?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 04:54:44 pm »

Well it does show up in audio for me, not sure what is going on in your case.

For me, the reason to import it into the library is to tag it. For example say I have multiple stations from the same broadcaster then I use one field for the broadcaster and another for the channel, the view can then groups by those fields. I can also provide logos for each channel.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 04:14:30 am »

Just a quick follow up on the suggestions so far. What I found to be quickest and easiest is

1. copy radio station url to File Open URL
2. go to Playing Now Player and click on the playing link and send it to a (Radio) playlist.

That is it. The items in the playlist can be tagged the normal way. There is no need I can see to "import" anything.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 04:21:56 am »

this is not relevant if you have a method that works for you but fwiw send to playlist is actually doing 2 things; importing it into your library and then adding that newly imported item to a playlist. This is why tagging is possible because it is doing that import step first.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 04:55:18 am »

this is not relevant if you have a method that works for you but fwiw send to playlist is actually doing 2 things; importing it into your library and then adding that newly imported item to a playlist. This is why tagging is possible because it is doing that import step first.

I hadn't realised that. Anyway, it works and requires only a few steps. Thanks a lot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up