INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What’s your folder layout for music?  (Read 6827 times)

vicini

• World Citizen
What’s your folder layout for music?
« on: November 27, 2017, 10:59:23 pm »

Looking for ideas on folder structure for my music.
How are your putting you music into folders?
Artist folder? Live album folder? EP Folder? ...

What’s you folder layout?
Scott

jkolker

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: What’s you folder layout for music?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 11:29:48 pm »

I have a separate "music" folder on my NAS drive.  Within the music folder, I have things sorted by Artist, then Album.  Seems to to be the easiest and most logical, at least for me.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 12:33:49 am »

remember MC doesn't care about folders

think of a record store - everything is under the artist folder. 

tag your live albums and EP's, etc. inside MC using custom tags - then they'll be easy to find in a view, but will still reside in an artist folder where they belong and easy to find

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 03:50:32 am »

for windows structure I have a main folder inside that folder resides a folder for each artist inside the artists folder resides the name of the cd such as  ..... Main Music Folder>Shawn Phillips>1970 Contribution now inside this folder are the music files along with any pertinent files for this album.....1971 Second Contribution....and on down the line.....

now I put the year before the album (CD) name so it keeps them in chronological order.....

Main Music Folder> Various Artists> (year name of cd)
Main Music Folder> Soundtrack> name of soundtrack 2017 (note I add the year last)

now lets say you have a cd with dual artists such as k.d. lang and Tony Bennett. I let the ruling artist rule!

I store by first name first because way way way back that's how WMP did it and I never changed it!

now this is how I store my music in a windows environment and it works for me....sure you can dump all your music in a folder and let MC sort it out (and a fine job MC will do) but come on really,

and I do sort by The Beatles and The Rolling Stones and so on.....

I have a very large collection with a lot of artists and I found having the year of the cd first, come in very very handy when using windows to view my collection....not all of us use MC to view our libraries constantly!

what ever you choose for YOU is your choice....Good Luck and enjoy MC it's the best of the best!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

vicini

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 07:56:20 am »

Main Music Folder>Shawn Phillips>1970 Contribution
Main Music Folder> Various Artists> (year name of cd)
Main Music Folder> Soundtrack> name of soundtrack 2017 (note I add the year last)

So i was thinking and using your example
>>> Main Music Folder> Shawn Phillips> 1970 Contribution

i was going to do something like
Music> Shawn Phillips> 1. Studio> (3) Contribution (1970)   
and the (3) because its appears to be the 3rd studio album???

So mine would look like this
1. Music\Britney Spears\1. Studio\(01) ...Baby One More Time (Digital Deluxe) (1999)
1. Music\Britney Spears\1. Studio\(02) Oops!... I Did It Again (2000)
and so on

1. Music\Britney Spears\2. EP
1. Music\Britney Spears\3. Single
1. Music\Britney Spears\4. Live
1. Music\Britney Spears\5. Compilation
1. Music\Britney Spears\6. Box Set

2. Soundtracks
3. Others
4. Holiday
5. Mixtapes

some artists have so many albums that its too many to do just something like the default artist\albums.
i thought that maybe a little organization was in order.

Scott

rec head

Re: What’s your folder layout for music?
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 08:28:42 am »

I'm on board with the let MC handle it option. I just moved all my music from the local PC to the NAS and used MC to move everything. I simply went with NAS\artist\album. I only use MC to play music so I don't bother with complicated folder structures.

~OHM~

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 09:52:52 am »

So i was thinking and using your example
>>> Main Music Folder> Shawn Phillips> 1970 Contribution

i was going to do something like
Music> Shawn Phillips> 1. Studio> (3) Contribution (1970)   
and the (3) because its appears to be the 3rd studio album???

So mine would look like this
1. Music\Britney Spears\1. Studio\(01) ...Baby One More Time (Digital Deluxe) (1999)
1. Music\Britney Spears\1. Studio\(02) Oops!... I Did It Again (2000)
and so on

1. Music\Britney Spears\2. EP
1. Music\Britney Spears\3. Single
1. Music\Britney Spears\4. Live
1. Music\Britney Spears\5. Compilation
1. Music\Britney Spears\6. Box Set

2. Soundtracks
3. Others
4. Holiday
5. Mixtapes

some artists have so many albums that its too many to do just something like the default artist\albums.
i thought that maybe a little organization was in order.

if MC displays it the way you have it organized I say go for it.....It's your music, It's your choice. It should be structured the way YOU want....I'm one for organization from the get go. some aren't! no matter how anyone does it, simple or complex it's OUR choice.

I do use () after the album to denote if it's Deluxe, Resissue 1999, Live. I also use it to denote (+1999 Grammy Album of the Year) and so on

with artists inducted into the hall of fame I just add a + to the end of there name. I also like to know> Pink (Alecia Beth Moore) and> Art (Pre Spooky Tooth)

one thing I do let MC control is the display of Genre

I also must have correct capitalization along with highres art (work in progress)

actually I do have a Holiday folder, just didn't mention it.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 11:38:02 am »

I have 3 root folders

HQ - for CD-Quality
HD - for PCM 24-bit
DSD - for DSD including SACD rips

then I have Artist or "Various Artists"

Under Artist, I have "(Year) Album-Name" convention. I also add modifiers on the album name, like (Japan) (SACD) (DSD128) to make it easier to search

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 12:20:49 pm »

You should look into MusicBrainz Picard for organizing and tagging your files.  Because I have several different releases and formats for some albums, this naming rule works well for me:

Code: [Select]
$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%) - %album% (%originalyear%) [$upper(%_extension%)] {$trim(%label% %catalognumber%)} (%media% $div(%_sample_rate%,1000)-%_bits_per_sample%-%_channels%)/$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),Disc %discnumber%/,)$num(%tracknumber%,2) - $if(%_multiartist%,%artist% - ,)%title%
Result examples:
Music\Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon (1973) [FLAC] {EMI 5 0999 029431 2 1} (Blu-ray 96-24-6)\01 - Speak to Me.flac
Music\Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon (1973) [FLAC] {EMI CP35-3017} (CD 44-16-2)\01 - Speak to Me.flac
Music\Various Artists - A Brief History of Ambient, Volume 1 (1993) [FLAC] {Virgin 7243 8 39434 2 5} (CD 44-16-2)\Disc 1\02 - Tangerine Dream - Thru Metamorphic Rock (edit).flac

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 01:30:32 pm »

On my NAS I have a 'Audio' share. Under that share I have different folders based type of audio and/or where the music came from, so I know how to recover easily if there is data loss or corruption:
96-24 Recordings (stuff I have recorded off LP at 96/24)

Example folders:
Amazon Downloads
Audio Books
Children's CD's
eMusic Downloads
Google Play
HDTracks
Music CD's
etc.

Inside the folder it is typically organized by Artist/Album/Disk Number (if appropriate).

MC really doesn't care how you organize things as long as all files for a single album (or disk of an album) are in the same folder so the 'complete album' logic works. Do what works/makes sense for you.

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 04:32:13 pm »

I'm on board with the let MC handle it option. I just moved all my music from the local PC to the NAS and used MC to move everything. I simply went with NAS\artist\album. I only use MC to play music so I don't bother with complicated folder structures.

I am totally with you, except I am a classical guy.  But, even there, when you consider the time/effort to maintain a sophisticated, orderly Windows folder structure vs. maintaining tags within JRiver, it seems blatantly obvious. The tags are, IMHO, much easier to maintain, and disc metadata tags automatically provided in the rips, downloads, etc., often is largely sufficient with just a few edits. 

Also, I just don't find the process of juggling directory/folder/file names in Windows to be as user friendly or efficient as tagging.  Plus, any searching I do in my > 5,000 disc database for a specific composer/genre/composition is simply not doable in Windows, while JRiver handles it easily with tags.  I never search Windows directories on playback, so I can't see fine tuning that structure, since JRiver does not care.

So, I waste no time on Windows folder structures, other than to place album folders in the right folder by format: SACD Rips, Hirez PCM, CD, etc. 

~OHM~

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 04:56:39 pm »

I am totally with you, except I am a classical guy.  But, even there, when you consider the time/effort to maintain a sophisticated, orderly Windows folder structure vs. maintaining tags within JRiver, it seems blatantly obvious. The tags are, IMHO, much easier to maintain, and disc metadata tags automatically provided in the rips, downloads, etc., often is largely sufficient with just a few edits. 

Also, I just don't find the process of juggling directory/folder/file names in Windows to be as user friendly or efficient as tagging.  Plus, any searching I do in my > 5,000 disc database for a specific composer/genre/composition is simply not doable in Windows, while JRiver handles it easily with tags.  I never search Windows directories on playback, so I can't see fine tuning that structure, since JRiver does not care.

So, I waste no time on Windows folder structures, other than to place album folders in the right folder by format: SACD Rips, Hirez PCM, CD, etc.

Oh did I forget to mention all my files are meticulously tagged. I don't agree that it's a waste of time if you start out on the right foot. I just don't see the logic of a messy windows environment. But as mentioned many times we all have our way and our options and that is what the OP was after! ;)

MikeO

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 05:28:16 am »

Mine is a bit more complicated. My Drives doubled up as a source for USB external drives for my streamer from before I set up my network system, I never changed as MC sorts them , but they are fairly logical anyway.

I have  base folders, Rock (anything not covered by the next folders) , Jazz, Classical, Audio Books, Humour

Rock & Jazz are much the same

A - Z (a throwback to USB so it loads quicker)
Artist > 1975 - Album Name

Classical is more complex (as ever)

A- Z
Composer
Genre at High Level (Orchestral, Concertos, Chamber, Keyboard, Instrumental, Organ etc) for the "Big" composers where there are a lot of albums, just to split things up a bit
Album (e.g. Piano Sonatas - Brendel) i am liable to have several box sets Beethoven Piano Sonatas etc.

Then 2 special folders

Mixed Composers where you can't decide which composer "Wins"
Collections One artist big Box Sets (eg Glenn Gould Complete Jacket Collection etc)

I agree with ~OM~ meticulous tagging is vital, i spent (and still do spend) a lot of time getting things complete and accurate , especially with Classical stuff where the online DB are notoriously inaccurate e.g. Calling the Artist = Beethoven instead of the Composer etc.

I have 2 Custom Tags , Box Set and Disc Name that group box sets like the Piano Sonata sets and keeps them separate from "normal" albums. The disc name allows you set up a view to show each disc in a box and select it.

I also have a tag for "Composition" , (MC has just added this as Work) so that all 33 movements of the Diabelli Variations gets a common name etc.

Classical tagging is an art form in its own right and there is not too much consensus on it  ;D

Hope this helps

Mike

clancyHOME

• Recent member
  • Still teaching this old dog new tricks...
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 09:10:57 am »

What a fantastic thread! I'm just getting started with MC and have moved all my files to a NAS and cleaning up a mess of scattered default folders created by various forays into other music/media software platforms. Also thanks for the classical music tagging primer. I agree that default tagging for most of what I have is very inconsistent. I only have a few classical albums in digital format but quite a few on vinyl that someday might make there way over to digital, but that is a completely different forum ;)

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 10:21:47 am »

Hi

I do:
1) Genre
2) Artist or Band
3) Album

I mark the folder either
-Nothing (for flac files)
or
-mp3

for mp3

As mentioned here, do not spend too much time thinking about folder.
Tagging is the most important thing! As JRiver does not care about folders its all about right tagging!

Even for separation of flac or mp3 , I made a "Genre" view.
1) Genre
2) file type
3) artist/artist auto
4) album

now you can select all or just flac or mp3 :)

JRiver is very flexible in sorting and views once you have tagged the files.

Peter

MikeO

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 12:18:03 am »

Put 10 classical collectors in a room and you’ll get 11 opinions on how to set it out 😂

I often wondered if somewhere on the forum , eventually Wiki ?, we should develop a best practice template for Classical music. There are many posts dealing with specifics but not a full A - Z that I know of

It would certainly help anyone setting out and to garner all the attempts , good ideas etc of the “veterans”. I know it took me a few false starts before I got what I was happy with..

Just a thought

Mike

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 12:42:03 am »

I do:
1 - AlbumType (Single Artist, Various, Soundtrack, Single/Various Artist, vs, Split, Unofficial Album, Songs)
2 - Owner (My family all have their music on one PC so there is a subfolder for each)
3 - Filetype (FLAC, FLAC(HD), FLAC(6ch), FLAC(HDCD), mp3, Monkeys, etc.)

After "Filetype" I don't have any consistent folders. My music has sub folders for each artist because i have a lot of music, but my family members typically don't.

I have calculated fields for AlbumType and Owner that are filled from the filename. I use them quite a bit.
I like doing the AlbumType folders because I can choose all files in Soundtrack and set Album Artist to Soundtrack, I can choose all files in Single Artist and set Album Artist to [Artist].

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 01:43:25 am »

Put 10 classical collectors in a room and you’ll get 11 opinions on how to set it out 😂

I often wondered if somewhere on the forum , eventually Wiki ?, we should develop a best practice template for Classical music. There are many posts dealing with specifics but not a full A - Z that I know of

It would certainly help anyone setting out and to garner all the attempts , good ideas etc of the “veterans”. I know it took me a few false starts before I got what I was happy with..

Just a thought

Mike

vicini

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 05:59:23 pm »

Thank you for the response.
I worked out what will work for me.
Scott

~OHM~

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 08:03:43 pm »

Thank you for the response.
I worked out what will work for me.

Do share....

fermenter

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 01:50:24 am »

I use MC to keep my folders organised (periodically use 'rename, copy & move files' to tidy up). I used to prefix albums with dates, and bury albums within artist folders, and use different rules for compilations etc, but now I just use a single rule within a main \MUSIC\ directory:

[Album Artist] - [Album]\[Track #] [Artist] - [Name].  It seems to work for everything. MC can keep track of dates, I don't need that in Windows.

I can't believe how long I resisted using [Album Artist], but it is ridiculously powerful for sorting the display order of albums, and it means I can include collaborators in a track's [Artist] tag without screwing up other views. I also try to use something meaningful (and alphabetically appropriate) rather than just 'Various Artists'. So the exact same scheme might give me:

Pink Floyd - The Wall\01 Pink Floyd - In the Flesh.flac
Grease - Movie Soundtrack\01 Frankie Valli - Grease.flac
Green Velvet - The Music of Ireland\01 Shades of McMurrough - She Moved Through the Fair.flac
Whitney Houston - Greatest Hits (Cool Down)\10 Whitney Houston & Jermaine Jackson - If You Say My Eyes Are Beautiful.flac

It isn't perfect for classical works but I'm not OCD about it and I can live with it:

ABC Classic FM - Life is Beautiful\01 Handel, George Frideric - Solomon Arrival of the Queen of Sheba.flac (album of multiple composers)
Rossini, Gioachino - Overtures\01 London Classical Players, The - La Scala di Seta_ Allegro Vivace - Andantino - Allegro (album of single composer)

(I figure if it's a compilation I generally want to find it by the name of the compilation, whereas if it's the work of a single composer then I want it under the composer's name).

What's most important to me is that I can find things in MC's various views, I don't particularly care how they are stored within Windows, but consistency is good.

~OHM~

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 02:45:12 am »

I use MC to keep my folders organised (periodically use 'rename, copy & move files' to tidy up). I used to prefix albums with dates, and bury albums within artist folders, and use different rules for compilations etc, but now I just use a single rule within a main \MUSIC\ directory:

[Album Artist] - [Album]\[Track #] [Artist] - [Name].  It seems to work for everything. MC can keep track of dates, I don't need that in Windows.

I can't believe how long I resisted using [Album Artist], but it is ridiculously powerful for sorting the display order of albums, and it means I can include collaborators in a track's [Artist] tag without screwing up other views. I also try to use something meaningful (and alphabetically appropriate) rather than just 'Various Artists'. So the exact same scheme might give me:

Green Velvet - The Music of Ireland\01 Shades of McMurrough - She Moved Through the Fair.flac
Whitney Houston - Greatest Hits (Cool Down)\10 Whitney Houston & Jermaine Jackson - If You Say My Eyes Are Beautiful.flac

It isn't perfect for classical works but I'm not OCD about it and I can live with it:

ABC Classic FM - Life is Beautiful\01 Handel, George Frideric - Solomon Arrival of the Queen of Sheba.flac (album of multiple composers)
Rossini, Gioachino - Overtures\01 London Classical Players, The - La Scala di Seta_ Allegro Vivace - Andantino - Allegro (album of single composer)

(I figure if it's a compilation I generally want to find it by the name of the compilation, whereas if it's the work of a single composer then I want it under the composer's name).

What's most important to me is that I can find things in MC's various views, I don't particularly care how they are stored within Windows, but consistency is good.

See now, I want order. I've never been one for sloppy housekeeping! ;)

MikeO

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 04:13:51 am »

I used to have a filing cabinet with a Misc Drawer  ;D

No offense  ;D ;D

Mike

fermenter

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 06:40:37 am »

See now, I want order. I've never been one for sloppy housekeeping! ;)

Oh there's nothing sloppy about it at all. In the MC views that I use, it makes total sense and I can find anything I want in a heartbeat. My directory simply follows whatever MC is doing.

I used to carry on like some kind of librarian, trying to painstakingly catalog my collection in some scientifically valid way within Windows. Then I realised how badly I was missing the point. All that matters is the interface you use to actually play the music. Everything else is secondary at best.

~OHM~

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 10:21:27 am »

Oh there's nothing sloppy about it at all. In the MC views that I use, it makes total sense and I can find anything I want in a heartbeat. My directory simply follows whatever MC is doing.

I used to carry on like some kind of librarian, trying to painstakingly catalog my collection in some scientifically valid way within Windows. Then I realised how badly I was missing the point. All that matters is the interface you use to actually play the music. Everything else is secondary at best.

Your missing the point....

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 12:24:55 pm »

Orderliness is good.  But, there are a number of potential downsides to messing too much with album folder names in the media files.  One, of course, is that you are redundantly retyping a lot of information in the folder name which is better contained in the tags. 

Another problem, which you mentioned, is the single hierarchy imposed by the Windows directory structure.  If an album has both a Mozart and a Beethoven composition on it, the directory structure does not work unless you split the tracks in the album, creating two or more album folders from one.  Tags, of course, make this quite simple and leave the album folder untouched.  Albums which are collections by multiple composers, artists, etc. are no problem at all with tags.

The other is inadvertent total path length issues in Windows, especially in classical if you try to load the folder name with too much descriptive info.  I am on Win 7, and total path length from the root drive letter plus hierarchical directory folder names plus album directory plus track name must be less than Windows max length, which is around 250 or so characters.  (Is Win 10 different? I don't know.) 

It is the sum of the lengths in characters of the entire path that matters, and editing folder/file names Windows Explorer will even allow you to exceed it without you knowing it.  I have exceeded this on occasion, and, as a result, some tracks will not import into JRiver and they cannot even be copied to a new folder or directory in Windows, unless total path length is shortened somehow. 

So, I learned early on to keep my folder names short, but descriptive.  Mostly, I leave the album folder name for the media file untouched and as defined by the rip.  Then, I put my effort into the tagging which has no path length issue, and can be much more descriptive.  I may often change the Album tag in JRiver to make it more descriptive than the album folder name on the media file.  But, I can easily map to that media file folder by looking at the Path tag in JR.

With adequate, well defined tags, I also find searching or browsing much simpler in my library of over 4,000 mostly classical discs.  Searching Windows folders is not something I want to do, and I sure as hell do not want to be typing album folder names to maintain an imperfect hierarchical folder structure.

fermenter

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 06:14:02 pm »

I think some folks have misunderstood my method.

you are redundantly retyping a lot of information in the folder name which is better contained in the tags

I am typing precisely NOTHING in folder names - they are generated automatically by MC, using the formula I listed above.

If an album has both a Mozart and a Beethoven composition on it, the directory structure does not work unless you split the tracks in the album

It depends entirely on the 'Album Artist' I've chosen - which itself depends on where I would like to see the album in my collection when browsing alphabetically/graphically using Album Artist as the primary field.

I don't have a huge classical collection, but I'm happy to thrash this out for the sake of the argument.

Let's say I have a compilation album by the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) called "Life is Good" and it contains a number of compositions by a number of composers. Where do I want this album to appear in my collection? For me, the 'brand' of this album is ABC Classic FM, so I want it under A, the same way I'd like Cafe Del Mar collections to appear under C. So I put 'ABC Classic FM' in the Album Artist field. The Album field is, obviously, the name of the album, in this case "Life is Good". The Artist field would be the composer for each track. I don't care about orchestra or conductor info, and if I did I'd use other fields for that - IMO that's about cataloguing background data, not organizing a collection. But if the conductor was the most important element to me, I'd put him as the Album Artist.

The Album Artist field is the common thread, or primary 'brand', for any given album. The main thing I will remember if I go looking for it, and the place I want it to appear when browsing my library. So if it's a Pink Floyd album it's Pink Floyd. If it's a 'Now That's What I Call Music' compilation then its that. If it's the soundtrack to The Rocky Horror Picture Show then it's 'Rocky Horror Picture Show, The'. If it's a Beethoven compilation, then it is Beethoven, regardless of which orchestra or conductor or record label is behind it. If it is a more complicated or esoteric compilation with no clear 'brand' to recognise it by, then I might just give it an Album Artist of 'Classical Compilation'.

I have some multi-disc blues compilations where each disc is by a single artist, so with those I set the Album Artist to be the name of the artist for that disc, and the Album Name to be the name of the broader compilation (eg 'Blues Collection, The'). This means the B.B. King disc falls alongside BB King's other albums, rather than all 10 discs of the box set clumping together. That's just personal preference - if I wanted the set to appear together that's easy too, I'd just change the Album Artist field to 'Blues Collection, The', and the Album to something like 'Volume 01 - B.B. King'.

I also have some other blues compilations that are the kind of stocking-fillers that are churned out by random record labels. Their only common thread is the record label itself, or whatever stupid cliche name they decided to give the album. I might give these an Album Artist of 'Blues Compilation', or I might just delete the album info altogether (set it to Various) and handle the tracks as orphans.

Basically I'm just advocating a bit of creative flexibility with the Album Artist and Album fields. I realise it may be 'bending the rules' a bit, but honestly, a scientifically-curated music collection that results in music being awkward to browse and clutter appearing in unexpected places - because the handle you know it by doesn't match the scientific fields you are sorting by - is no fun at all. My goal is to be browsing an intuitively-arranged collection and listening to lots of music.

The other is inadvertent total path length issues in Windows, especially in classical if you try to load the folder name with too much descriptive info.  I am on Win 7, and total path length from the root drive letter plus hierarchical directory folder names plus album directory plus track name must be less than Windows max length, which is around 250 or so characters

Again, I'm not loading the folder name with anything, it is auto-generated as simply 'M:\MUSIC\Album Artist - Album\Track# Artist - Name' . I don't have anything like 250 characters in those fields, and I can't imagine ever getting that many inadvertently (unless somebody else populated those fields with every composer, musician, chorus line dancer and caterer involved with the production). Remember, I'm not using Album Artist to list the orchestra members, I'm using it to separate "Pink Floyd" from "Pop Hits 3".

Searching Windows folders is not something I want to do, and I sure as hell do not want to be typing album folder names to maintain an imperfect hierarchical folder structure.

We agree entirely!

DJLegba

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 06:27:03 pm »

My folder layout is entirely geared to making backups convenient. I use MC to organize and find music within my collection, and for those functions I really don't care where the files live on the hard drive.

To make backups easier, I use the year acquired, then the acquisition source (download, ripped, converted). I have a few old external hard drives I keep offline, and in 2018 I know I won't have to bother refreshing the 2017 folder on any of those offline drives. If I need to, most downloaded purchases can be downloaded again (most online stores keep track of what you've purchased). And I can re-rip CD or re-convert vinyl if necessary, although I'd prefer not to. Organizing the folders this way will let me prioritize my recovery options if something bad happens between backups.
Pages: [1]   Go Up