INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: video stops randomly (can't figure out why) [solved]  (Read 3370 times)

Denti

• Citizen of the Universe
video stops randomly (can't figure out why) [solved]
« on: November 28, 2017, 10:04:32 pm »

This is an old topic that I'm reviving here because it's still a problem for me, and I now have MC 23.

Here's the old thread: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,96229.msg663501.html#msg663501

With HD video especially the video just stops and kicks me back to the Theater View where I started. This can happen 2-3 times in a 2 hour movie. Pretty annoying.

Intel NUC with Windows 8.1. Standard video settings. Files on NAS, sent over wifi. Doesn't happen on other computers.

Is there any way to collect data on this next time it happens to have someone figure out what's going on?

robt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: video stops randomly (can't figure out why)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 12:28:23 am »

The first thing I would want to check in your set up would be the wifi connection.

You would be very lucky to reliably send an HD video over wifi without issue, especially for the length of a movie. Wifi connections always fluctuate in speed for lots of reasons. I can watch an HD movie over wifi to an Amazon firestick without a problem but the bitrate of the movie is really low compared to say a blu ray rip. I wouldnt expect a bluray rip to work.

Can you get your NUC near enough to your router to try a wired connection and see if that makes a difference? Is your NAS also on a wifi connection?
Also what NUC are you using?

Denti

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 07:12:45 am »

Thanks for your help!

The NUC is the DN2820FYKH.

The NAS is wired. While the NUC is currently on wifi, that has only been the case since the last year. Before that it was wired and I had the same problem.

I have switched out routers and wifi adapters (now at 5gHz). No difference.

It seems to happen with larger files. Shorter TV shows are no problem. Long movies are always a problem. Remember, JRMS does not crash. It just stops the video.

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 11:11:51 am »

Ok, thats a hard one then. I have read the previous thread and I would think its safe to assume that you must have gone through many versions of JRiver then that isn't the problem.

If MC isnt crashing, just sending you back to the Theatre View it would seem most likely that the flow of data is for some reason stopping. Do you have a drive on the NAS that you could copy a whole movie to and then try that? At least then if it still happens it would eliminate all the network side (router, NAS and Wifi) from the problem. If it doesn't happen then you have eliminated the NAS as the problem.

I too use a NAS and a NUC and have never had a similar issue. Is the timing of the video stop consistent or random?

Denti

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 02:06:48 pm »

There's no pattern to it. Sometimes it takes 40 minutes, sometime just 10.

I don't have a drive on the NUC, and I forget if I tried moving the HD from the NAS and plugging it in directly to the NUC. I guess I could try that tonight and see what happens.

If the data were somehow being interrupted, why wouldn't I get a stuttering or a freezing for buffering? It doesn't make sense that it shuts the video off entirely.

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 03:12:22 pm »

We're guessing here so I think you need to eliminate bits at a time and direct play on the NUC will be the most effective way of eliminating (or not) all the network items.

There must be a drive of some kind to hold the O/S on the NUC, surely enough room for a film? If its still available, you could try the upgrade to Win 10 from 8.1? I think you just need to experiment.

Denti

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 05:28:50 pm »

No, the drive on the NUC is tiny and doesn't have any storage space. I could attach an external HD via USB and test it. Should I do this? I suspect this has little or nothing to do with the network, since I haven't had this problem on an old HTPC that's also on the network.

Denti

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 09:44:06 pm »

OK, so I've determined it must be a network issue. I plugged the HD directly into the NUC and got no problems.

Also, the file I was playing is 18GB, which I think is why it was causing me problems to begin with. It's usually with files that are 5GB or bigger that this happens.

I still don't see why, since my network should be able to transfer that data without a hitch.

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 12:01:45 am »

Ok, so thats progress. I would be inclined to run that test a couple of times with a couple of different movies before I was convinced the NUC was not the problem but the indication is now something else.

You say you have previously changed routers and network adapters without resolving the issue so the spotlight falls on your NAS. What is it, make and model and what hard drives fitted?

Denti

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 08:22:51 am »

Thank you so much for your help!

The NAS is a self-built PC running Windows 8.1 with an Intel processor @1.99GHz and 16GB RAM. The HDDs are mostly attached via USB, though I had tested this by playing a video from the C: drive and it did the same thing.

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 12:30:47 pm »

If you have tried to run the video direct from your home built NAS and had the same issue then that confirms the source of the problem.

The solution just got difficult because of the complications of Windows. I would guess its a setting somewhere, perhaps its trying to shut down the machine or send a disc to sleep. Windows isnt really designed to run as a server and there is some free software available that would probably do a better job, if thats all you're using it for - Freenas for instance.

Have a check through the power settings and make some changes. If you cant get to the bottom of it, I would consider reinstalling Windows, or installing something like FreeNas or best of all, replace it with a purpose built NAS.

Denti

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 04:17:57 pm »

I have JRiver on the server PC, which I use for tagging, etc. I wouldn't be able to do this using FreeNas, I don't think.

What Windows 8 settings might I tweak? Can anyone else help?

Denti

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 05:53:34 pm »

Realized that when I first posted about this I was using Vista on the server. Not anymore. So it's unlikely it's the server. Must be something about how the NUC receives the network data. I recall having the problem when the NUC was wired, too.

Denti

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 08:11:08 pm »

My NUC has just barely over 2GB left on the HD. Could this be the culprit?

I've been running the same huge video file over wifi from the NAS to a different PC for about an hour now without trouble. This suggests it has something to do with the NUC. I'm going to try replacing the HD with something slightly bigger and see if that helps.

Denti

Re: video stops randomly (can't figure out why) [solved]
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 09:42:03 pm »

Indeed, it was the HD and the lack of space. New HD with extra room and things are fine. At first they weren't, and video was buffering left and right, but that turned out to be because I was on the 5GHz wireless band, which I thought was supposed to be faster. The regular 2.4GHz works perfectly. No video randomly stopping (yet) and no buffering.
Pages: [1]   Go Up