INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Someone Please Explain How Casting Works?  (Read 2124 times)

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Can Someone Please Explain How Casting Works?
« on: November 30, 2017, 08:08:14 am »

There is no wiki and for some reason when I searched "casting" and "cast" I got zero results. I know how casting works when using Google apps but:

If I use a remote like JRemote or Gizmo does audio still go through the phone or does the CC get the audio straight from the server?

Does casting support FLAC or does it transcode? If it only transcodes is there a separate setting for CC transcode quality? I would like to setup up a CC in my basement and stream a minimum of 320 MP3 (uncompressed preferred) but when I'm just listening from the phone in the car and want to keep data usage down.

Which app is better for casting JRemote or Gizmo?

Thanks.

rec head

Re: Can Someone Please Explain How Casting Works?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 09:52:53 am »

bump

rec head

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 04:49:28 pm »

Nothing?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 05:21:30 pm »

If I use a remote like JRemote or Gizmo does audio still go through the phone or does the CC get the audio straight from the server?

If you use JRemote or Gizmo as a remote control for MC, and send output to a device other than the phone, then the output goes directly from the Server to the Output Device, not via the phone. Think of the phone like a traditional InfraRed remote control.

I don't know anything much about casting, but a search of the forum for "Chromecast" find lots of discussions. You might find your answer in there.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

rec head

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 02:46:21 pm »

Thanks for the info.

I'll search again to try and find more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up