INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Genre Questions  (Read 2117 times)

johnkaess

• Junior Woodchuck
Genre Questions
« on: November 30, 2017, 08:39:06 am »

I've googled and also searched the wiki to find out how JRiver does genres for audio files. To be honest, a clear explanation doesn't seem to be there.

In iTunes, which is where i imported all my music from into MC 23, i had two genres set which were combinations. I had R&B; Soul and i had Pop; Rock. MC23 seems to have input these audio files as belonging to both R&B and Soul and as belonging to Pop and Rock. I can live with that. However, what i'd really like is to be able to have some type of single genre which reflects that it contains music which is R&B and/or Soul in it and Pop and/or Rock in it. What is the best way to accomplish this. Would Pop/Rock and R&B/Soul function this way or is there another way to accomplish this?

I did find under Options - Library and Folders - Manage Library Fields a place for what looks like things can be added or changed, but clicking in  those drop down fields seems to not actually allow changing anything, and even if it did, i;m not sure how or what to change.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Genre Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 03:36:27 pm »

I think what's happening is that MC treats that ";" as a field separator, so you get your tracks showing up in both genres.  You can re-assign a new genre to all of your tracks - for instance highlite all of the Pop tracks and choose "Edit/Tag" and give it a new genre... something without a semi-colon.  Your idea for slashes (eg "Pop/Rock") would work well.

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 04:32:23 pm »

Hi

Genre in MC is shown what you fill-in in the field "Genre"

If you rip its soemthing form the database where the Tags come from. Oftne ist nonsense or just wrong.

I decided to assign what I need.
 Peter

johnkaess

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 09:01:46 pm »

Thank you both. I'm starting to get a handle on how MC tags work and am playing with changing things to be more accurate than iTunes would allow. I use a lot of smartlists, and MC really allows you some incredible power when you get things tagged well.

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 01:16:14 am »

Hi

AMG, the professional database, freedb the free database and others are inconsistent. iTunes seems to take most of the info from AMG.

However sometimes iTunen is the best sometimes not.

For ripping I do the following:

1) I Try JRiver, if its complete regarding tags or sufficient I go with it (rip)

2) if not I go to dBpowerrmap if okay i go with it (rip): its the best for classical music, however not at all complete nor correct all the times

3) iTunes, has sometimes only tags. I rip with iTunes (ALAC lossless similar to flac, secure rip inside iTunes) it embeds all tags from iTunes as well as cover art. Then load it in JRiver, convert to flac. Then edit tags.

My library has only flac and mp3, nothing else. I convert all other formats to  either flac (if the other format is lossless) or mp3 if the other format is lossy.

Peter

plkx

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 03:04:13 pm »

Just to elaborate on Peter_T's response:

It is rather common for software to use the semicolon ; as a separator for multiple values of a tag. That is exactly what you observed when your files showed up under both genres.

I've discovered (the hard way) over the years that it is best to be careful of the characters you use in your tags (anything other than letters and numbers). Underscores seem to be pretty safe, too.

One may regret especially characters people use to make things look "cool" (e.g. .?:;!@#$%&*> ).

Each of those characters has various meanings in different circumstances, particularly programming, scripting and regular expressions.

As software and systems change over the years, there is never a guarantee that what once worked will always work. If programmers don't provide adequate handling of "risky characters", things will break when those characters are encountered outside the program's expectations.

Best,

PK

johnkaess

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 09:20:49 am »

Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up