INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Error starting Direct3D engine  (Read 1114 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Error starting Direct3D engine
« on: November 30, 2017, 05:57:16 pm »

My bedroom HTPC has not been used in a week or so, but is still turned on (not sleeping). I just switch inputs and turn the TV on and off.

Anyways, when I switched to HDMI-1 Input the screen was non responsive. It was showing the MC Theater View but the program seems to be locked up. I had to ctrl+alt+del to close MC. As it was closing I saw a message about a "Direct3D error".

So I rebooted, and after the normal Windows 10 logon screen, the entire screen went black with the wording "Error starting Direct3D engine (Adapter 0 not capable of windowed mode)".

I used the Escape key to exit this screen, and everything looked normal (MC started normally).

What happened? And what can I do to prevent this again?
There is nothing more frustrating than settling into bed to watch a Show or Movie, clicking the remote and finding the program or computer locked up.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Error starting Direct3D engine
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 07:52:24 am »

This problem is still occuring. It happens on both of my client machines - when they are not used frequently (but computer is left running).

As I've described before, when I first go to use MC the Theater View menu will move a few spots (like from Video to Audio on the menu bar) then the menu freezes up and ends up "between" menu items and/or menu items are overlapped. I have to use "Ctrl Alt Del" to get to Task Manger and close program. When I close the program a see a message about an "Error with Direct3D drawing"(or something like that). After a restart of MC everything works fine.

Is there a way to force the computer (or MC) to restart after 48 hours?
That may be all I need to keep this from occurring. Sometimes I don't use a Client for a week or more.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up