INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New IdPi behaving differently  (Read 4596 times)

GaryB

• World Citizen
New IdPi behaving differently
« on: December 01, 2017, 01:40:33 pm »

I have Six streaming services set up  as individual playlists on my Intel NUC ( Library server) these play fine to the NUC and the first ld Pi I bought.  However they will not play on the new one.

The older one   is      Id:22.0.79    MC:22.0.113
The new one is          Id:22.0.79   MC:23.0.82

Neither has been tweaked by me  and running through the Audio Options I can't see any difference.

Apart from The older one has a very plain workspace  with the JRiver swirl & the new one a high res photo of an insect on a colourful flower. :)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: New PI ID behaving differently
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 04:34:41 pm »

I have Six streaming services set up  as individual playlists on my Intel NUC ( Library server) these play fine to the NUC and the first ld Pi I bought.  However they will not play on the new one.

The older one   is      Id:22.0.79    MC:22.0.113
The new one is          Id:22.0.79   MC:23.0.82

Neither has been tweaked by me  and running through the Audio Options I can't see any difference.

Apart from The older one has a very plain workspace  with the JRiver swirl & the new one a high res photo of an insect on a colourful flower. :)
Would you please try running an update on your new one?
If it still doesn't work, would you share one of the URL's that won't stream with me? You could just PM me the info. Thanks...

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 05:09:48 pm »

Would you please try running an update on your new one?
If it still doesn't work, would you share one of the URL's that won't stream with me? You could just PM me the info. Thanks...

The update took it up to .84 but made no difference to the ability to play a stream. You can see it load but the clock counts up a couple of seconds then nothing else happens.

The stream URL’s are all BBC ones and the HQ version I believe they are geo-locked to the UK. I will try one of the other bbc streams lower quality but not geo-locked to see if it exhibits the same problem before sharing it.

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 10:51:56 am »

The update took it up to .84 but made no difference to the ability to play a stream. You can see it load but the clock counts up a couple of seconds then nothing else happens.

The stream URL’s are all BBC ones and the HQ version I believe they are geo-locked to the UK. I will try one of the other bbc streams lower quality but not geo-locked to see if it exhibits the same problem before sharing it.

Confirm that http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/nonuk/low/ak/bbc_6music.m3u8 behaves the same way...

bob

• Administrator
Re: New IdPi behaving differently
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 09:45:24 am »

Confirm that http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/nonuk/low/ak/bbc_6music.m3u8 behaves the same way...
That stream works for me on a IdPi.
Can you do a function 11 on your main menu and see if the routing table looks OK? (there should be a default route to your router at the bottom of the info displayed).
Also make sure your DNS is setup properly if you changed the IdPi to a static address.

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 06:49:55 am »

That stream works for me on a IdPi.
Can you do a function 11 on your main menu and see if the routing table looks OK? (there should be a default route to your router at the bottom of the info displayed).
Also make sure your DNS is setup properly if you changed the IdPi to a static address.

IP settings are from reserved IP addresses in the Broadband router, there is no problem with the device seeing the internet either. I do think however that this may be a networking issue, but bandwidth related.
Swapping the two Pi's revealed that the new Pi would play ( although not very reliably) in the old Pi's position and the old Pi would play in the new Pi's position.   
The two Pi IDs are in adjacent rooms of the house ( If you could walk through walls probably less than 10 feet apart.
The house is a dead loss for  WiFi due to the metal foil backed plaster board used on walls. So I have been using Powerline adapters both as point to point  LAN adapters and wireless extender.

Checking the available throughput using the TP link powerline utility I could see 393 Mbps from the unit near the broadband router to one of the powerline adapters and only 79Mbs to the other.
More investigation showed these two circuits to be on a different ring main. The two ring mains are protected by MCBs and there is also a RCCD on that mains bus. Removing the two circuit breakers to the non-RCCD bus made about 10 Mbs improvement to both figures.
conclusion... Powerline is rubbish in a property with more than one ring main (mandatory in the UK for new builds).
So thanks for your suggestions, it seems that the MC23 build on the new PI ( or perhaps the wallpaper with the bug) tips it over the edge in dealing with poor connectivity.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 09:39:47 am »

It's an IdPi, please.  Not a Pi ID.

I've seen a device somewhere that claimed to bridge the two legs of the power circuits.  You might do an Internet search.

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 10:39:17 am »

It's an IdPi, please.  Not a Pi ID.

I've seen a device somewhere that claimed to bridge the two legs of the power circuits.  You might do an Internet search.
Thank you
I had, A really good look around and found a unit only available in the US that seemed to be used for bridging across both legs of a 220 volt circuit, where that is used for two separate 110 volt circuits. I believe it is common in the US to have this arrangement?

Anyway I seem to have solved my Networking issue and this leaves me only one problem.

I’m using my original NUC Id as my library server and the two IdPi’s as renderers.

The situation I now have is that the MC23 IdPi will not show up on the MC22 NUC either as a Library server ( if I enable it in advanced)  or as a renderer.  Consequently it does not appear in the NUC’s overview.
It is perfectly happy streaming the audio from my NAS and using the NUC as its library.

The MC 22 IdPi works perfectly and appears on the NUC as both a renderer and a library server.

I have checked the setting in Media network a zillion times and have added and removed it a few times as well.

Can you help?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 10:47:07 am »

Are they wired or wireless now?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 11:50:05 am »

Thank you
I had, A really good look around and found a unit only available in the US that seemed to be used for bridging across both legs of a 220 volt circuit, where that is used for two separate 110 volt circuits. I believe it is common in the US to have this arrangement?

Anyway I seem to have solved my Networking issue and this leaves me only one problem.

I’m using my original NUC Id as my library server and the two IdPi’s as renderers.

The situation I now have is that the MC23 IdPi will not show up on the MC22 NUC either as a Library server ( if I enable it in advanced)  or as a renderer.  Consequently it does not appear in the NUC’s overview.
It is perfectly happy streaming the audio from my NAS and using the NUC as its library.

The MC 22 IdPi works perfectly and appears on the NUC as both a renderer and a library server.

I have checked the setting in Media network a zillion times and have added and removed it a few times as well.

Can you help?
I'm wondering if you've got a pair with the same UUID's?
Did you license the IdPi's from within MC or via the main menu license function? You need to use the main menu function at least the first time because that's where the unique UUID's are generated.

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 12:01:54 pm »

Are they wired or wireless now?

The NUC and the MC23 Pi are wired, the MC22 one is wireless. I have tried swapping them round so 22 on lan and 23 wireless ...same result

Gary

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 12:04:11 pm »

I'm wondering if you've got a pair with the same UUID's?
Did you license the IdPi's from within MC or via the main menu license function? You need to use the main menu function at least the first time because that's where the unique UUID's are generated.

Hi Bob,

They came licensed from JRiver.

Gary

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 12:07:45 pm »

Hi Bob,

They came licensed from JRiver.

Gary
Hi Gary,
The NUC Id's are pre-licensed but the IdPi's need to be licensed when they are first booted. The MC in them comes in trial mode.
At some point you must have licensed them from inside MC or via the main menu using the licenses that they were shipped with.

Since they are all the same as shipped they need to have unique UUID's for them to both appear on the network and that is setup when you license the IdPi from the main menu.

Edit: You can just redo the license from the main menu on one of the IdPi's and it will then have a unique set of UUID's.
For the one that you redo the license on it will lose any library and settings. If you have a library on that IdPi you can restore it from File->Library->Restore Library from within MC.

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 02:09:09 pm »

Hi Gary,
The NUC Id's are pre-licensed but the IdPi's need to be licensed when they are first booted. The MC in them comes in trial mode.
At some point you must have licensed them from inside MC or via the main menu using the licenses that they were shipped with.

Since they are all the same as shipped they need to have unique UUID's for them to both appear on the network and that is setup when you license the IdPi from the main menu.

Edit: You can just redo the license from the main menu on one of the IdPi's and it will then have a unique set of UUID's.
For the one that you redo the license on it will lose any library and settings. If you have a library on that IdPi you can restore it from File->Library->Restore Library from within MC.

I can promise you I haven’t licensed either of the PiId’s neither have I been asked to!

I’m sorry if I missed an instruction..

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 03:04:20 pm »

I can promise you I haven’t licensed either of the PiId’s neither have I been asked to!

I’m sorry if I missed an instruction..
Sounds like I made an incorrect assumption.
Did you get the "fully baked" IdPi as opposed to just the IdPi SDCard?
Those are pre-licensed.
I suspect though that the UUID's still are an issue for some reason.
I'm going to take this offline into a PM.

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 04:22:02 pm »

yep they both were fully baked.

I can't send you the backup file as I have exceeded the 3 messages an hour limit   

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 04:38:01 pm »

backup

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 04:49:09 pm »

backup
Got it, thanks.
It looks OK.
On to the next idea...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 04:52:42 pm »

Does the MC23 IdPi have an access key?
If you look in the text menu it should show it on the upper right.
If not, go into the MC23 IdPi Media Network settings and register for an access key.
Also, check to make sure under advanced that the "renderer" function is enabled. You might want to just enable all 3 options (renderer, server and controller).

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 04:57:18 pm »

Yep it has an access key ....
And I’ve tried all 7 combinations of the tick boxes....

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 05:04:06 pm »

If those options are enabled let's try going to the NUC Id.
On it, right-click on any zone (player, etc) and do show/hide zone and see if it's hidden for some reason.

I assume you've rebooted the MC23 IdPi?

Past this we are getting into some pretty weird territory.

Switches/routers with ssdp/UPnP filtering enabled, etc.

Does the MC23 IdPi show up on the other IdPi?

Pages: [1]   Go Up