INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote Firewall Issue  (Read 2917 times)

kenterickson

• Recent member
JRemote Firewall Issue
« on: December 01, 2017, 03:11:13 pm »

I have jumped through all the hoops and have determined that the Windows 10 Defender Firewall is not allowing JRemote to access my system.

I have a fixed external IP address.
I have a fixed internal address for my htpc
When I turn both the private and public firewalls off then JRemote accesses my system and everything works fine.
I don't want to run with firewalls turned off.    Defender allows specific programs to bypass the firewall but I don't see JRemote or JRiver in the list of programs.  How do I tell Defender to allow JRiver and/or JRemote?

kenterickson

• Recent member
Re: JRemote Firewall Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 06:01:54 pm »

An update:

I have created rules both inbound and outbound for Windows Defender Firewall to allow port 52199 for public and private networks.   This doesn't seem to help.  I have confirmed that with both the IOS and Android versions of JRemote that the only thing that works is to disable the public network firewall completely.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 08:59:47 pm »

Where are you using JRemote from? Is it from inside your home, on the LAN? Or from outside via the Internet?
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

kenterickson

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 12:51:05 am »

Inside the home on the private lan that hosts my htpc (intel NUC running Win 10).   I have run it successfully in the past on both an iPad and an Android phone.    Because of remodeling I didn't use JRiver or JRemote for about 7 months and all this has happened after I reinstalled my system hardware and started using MC23.
If i try using MC22 I get the same results.

Thanks

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 12:58:02 am »

Windows 10 fall creators update introduced some funny behavior in Windows Defender. Nobody here really knows what it is doing wrong or different. But at least you are not alone. :)
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 02:42:17 am »

Please try this wiki topic:
Taming Windows Defender
and be sure to read the link at the bottom to Awesome Donkey's additions.

kenterickson

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 12:59:19 pm »

Just talked to Microsoft support - no help at all.    They didn't offer any reason why enabling a specific port doesn't work and basically just weaseled on the whole issue.    They suggested that I uninstall the app and reinstall it.    I don't think that is the issue or that it will help unless there is some interaction between MC23 and Windows that could be causing the problem.    I am willing to try it if anyone sees a reason.

kenterickson

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 02:09:52 pm »

Poked around in this forum and found the topic "Preparing JRiver Media Center for Remote Control".
 There I found:

1.  From the top toolbar select «Tools», then from the drop down list, select «Options».
As a shortcut, you may use «CTRL-O» on windows and «CMD-O» on MAC.

2.  From the options window, select «Media Network» from the left menu. You will now be presented with various options related to DLNA and library sharing.

3.  Make sure that the first option is selected: «Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA». Once selected, you are presented with a configuration wizard.

When I followed these steps the configuration wizard notified me that my firewall was not set to allow MC access and offered to set it for me.  When I did that I got a strange error message but after that my Android JRemote started working.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up