INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album display bugs in theater view?  (Read 1923 times)

fermenter

• Recent member
Album display bugs in theater view?
« on: December 05, 2017, 01:09:31 am »

These feel like bugs to me but maybe I'm doing something wrong?

1. I'd like to sort my theater artist view by [Album Artist] [Year] [Album], but display as [Album Artist]: [Album] ([Year]). However, if I use [Album Artist] in both expressions I get weirdness happening - the view displays both the grouping expression AND the display expression together?

2. I'd really like to reduce the font size in my theatre album grid view, as the info gets heavily truncated at 12pt, but it says the font size must be between 12 and 12 points? (also, if I change to a different font, the grid thumbnails become smaller or larger to preserve the same degree of truncation, so would changing the font size have the same effect?!)

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Album display bugs in theater view?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 03:54:01 am »

I too have been getting incorrect displays in Theatre View.
e.g. I modified Album view to separate albums by artist so I don't get all my albums called "Greatest Hits" concatenated into one album.
I simply entered [Album] into the expression to display so that it looks the same but separates albums by different artists.
This has worked fine for me for years but recently it has been failing by showing the grouping expression instead of the expression to display.
It may be that this started to happen when I moved to the 64bit version of MC?
I tried reporting this as a bug but it was not picked up by JRiver staff. 

fermenter

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 05:29:00 pm »

I am using the 64-bit version too, however I never used theater view in previous versions as it always crashed so I cannot compare.

Do you find that [Album] gets changed to [Album, 1] in the display expression? Is this normal?

For now I am just finding a 'grouping' expression I can live with in the display, but it would be great to get this working properly. I like an artist's albums to appear in chronological order rather than alphabetical, but I don't really want the year displayed ahead of the album name.

FWIW I'm using [Album Artist] heavily for sorting and display, I find this is a great way to manage where albums appear. For example, by renaming the Album Artist to be the name of a compilation, rather than simply using 'Various Artists', this puts it somewhere logical in the view and avoids a huge clump of compilations under V. It also helps me manage loose and orphan tracks - I just set the Album field for odd tracks to 'Miscellaneous', and the Album Artist to 'Various Artists' - unless I have enough of them by a single artist to create a fake album, in which case I just change the Album Artist to the artist's name and hey presto, an instant virtual album called 'Miscellaneous' appears alongside their other work. All the odd tracks disappear into a huge 'Various Artists - Miscellaneous' album. Of course they can still be accessed in other views (eg by Artist/Genre/Playlist) but it keeps my album view uncluttered by orphan tracks with no artwork.

Kid Twist

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 11:21:01 am »

I am using the 64-bit version too, however I never used theater view in previous versions as it always crashed so I cannot compare.

Do you find that [Album] gets changed to [Album, 1] in the display expression? Is this normal?

I'm seeing exactly this and I'm having the same issue as the OP, and I am using the 32-bit version. Thought I had made an error since this was my first attempt at using MC's expressions, but I guess I'm off the hook ;)

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 03:41:13 am »

fermenter

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 03:35:49 pm »

There is a fix coming in the next build.

Awesome, thank you   ;D

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 01:00:31 pm »

Matt has posted the fixed build.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,113497.0.html
And it fixes my issue.  ;D

fermenter

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 08:28:50 pm »

Agreed, that aspect works perfectly now, thank you devs!

Still curious about point 2 in my OP though - I view on a huge screen and would really like to reduce the font size so that text is not truncated unnecessarily.

Surely the fact that MC offers a setting to change the font size, only to insist that the new setting must be between 12 and 12, is a bug?!
Pages: [1]   Go Up