INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BD Audio  (Read 4168 times)

dartinbout

• Recent member
BD Audio
« on: December 10, 2017, 06:00:01 am »

Hi,

I'm acquiring more and more M2TS files that are purely audio. I have tried many conversion strategies to allow MC23 to treat them purely as audio but all them sound worse then the native playback (as M2TS). I have tried tagging differently but MC23 keeps only seeing them as video. Am I missing something?

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: BD Audio
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 07:07:49 am »

you could buy yourself dvd audio extractor.   it will easily extract the audio (truehd, dts hd, lpcm, etc) and convert to flac for you, all lossless

there are also free tools (eac3to) that will extract the audio from an m2ts and convert to flac.    i use dvd audio extractor for its MLP support as i have many dvd-audio discs.  i dont think eac3to supports dts hd, only the core lossy track for dts. 

there are probably tons of other ways, but in the end i think you need to demux the audio stream from the m2ts, which is a video container and so jriver should always treat it as such

my pipeline for this:   makemkv to backup the bd audio to a folder structure.  dvdae to demux and repackage the audio stream i want into flac.   kid3 to add meta data as needed

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 03:16:16 pm »

No need for 3rd party tools.  MC can extract the audio from any video file it can play and save them out as FLAC (or an audio format of choice).

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Convert_Format (and it contains a link for the forum post on this).

JRiver CEO Elect

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 07:25:26 pm »

No need for 3rd party tools.  MC can extract the audio from any video file it can play and save them out as FLAC (or an audio format of choice).

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Convert_Format (and it contains a link for the forum post on this).
i will have to check this out.   i have never used mc for anything other than playback

now i expect it will not support MLP but i have long since ripped those discs with dvdae.

cool and thanks for the tip
TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

dartinbout

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 09:38:34 pm »

I have used the converter on M2TS to uncompressed WAV and to 11.2 DSF, but there  is a noticeable diminishment in audio quality then playing them as M2TS. I want to us JRiver to play them native-ly and not consistently list them as Video. I can change the media type but JRiver seems not to be able to write the tag consistently. It still sees them as video files.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 10:15:38 pm »

Sorry - I'm not clear.  Am I correct in assuming you used used MC Convert Feature to encode the Audio out to WAV and/or DSF?  If so you now have two different set of files (If the Mode used was "Leave Original file, add destination file to the Library" in the Conversion Options.  The original untouched M2TS and a new WAV and/or DSF.  The M2TS will always be tagged as Video and played using the Video Playback Chain.  The new WAV and/or DSF files will be tagged as Audio and will be played using the Audio only Playback Chain.

They should sound the same (unless there are different DSP effects being applied).  Which one sounds "worse", the M2TS or the new WAV and/or DSF files?

JRiver CEO Elect

dartinbout

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 10:37:47 pm »

The uncompressed wav and the DSF sound worse then the M2TS. Why can't MC identify M2TS as audio only? That's how I want to use them. BD-Audio is becoming very common now and I don't need them to play as video. The M2TS sound fuller and richer this way. As MC doesn't appear to give much data on the playback of M2TS as audio I can't provide comparative data but on my 5.1 system through. my customized Auzantech card 5.1 analog out, to a Marantz amp, and my Paradigm's, it does.

RD James

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 01:04:02 am »

What kind of audio is contained in these M2TS files?
If it's DTS-HD or TrueHD, converting to a PCM-based format like FLAC will be a lossless conversion.

You should never convert PCM-based audio to DSD audio.

dartinbout

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 12:55:15 pm »

It's Amy Winehouse Back to Black in Dolby TruHD. When I convert  it to Flac, I lose all the soundstage and much of the detail, when compared to playing the M2TS. I have noticed it with other Blu-Ray audio, I have tried converting. The sound is drastically reduced. I want to consolidate all my audio, in no matter format under the same system. I  have loved JRiver for many years as it is an extremely powerful tool. that helps me curate my very large library and plays well with everything I have throw against it.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 06:05:59 pm »

I also have that disc and not noticed (or would expect) any difference.  Keep in mind that when converting, MC will use the audio track that was last used for playback of the BD-Audio.  Eg if you were listening to the 2.0 track it will use that one.   If you were listening to the 5.1 track it will use that but then (pending on your settings) create a 2.0 from the 5.1.  That is what you may be hearing. 

The Other thing you could do is change or create a View for Audio that include These Discs.  Eg, the rule for Audio is "[Media Type]=[Audio],[Playlist]", you could either modify it or create a new View that is something like the attached...  In this you can now see I have the FLAC, MP3, and MPLS version all showing under "Audio".
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 06:10:25 pm »

You may also be interested in this thread - on how to expose each track of a Music BD in MC.  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,106802.msg742295.html#msg742295

JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up