INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big lag in menu response when returning at end of Show or Movie viewing  (Read 1564 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe

For a while now I have been dealing with a large time lag when I finish watching a Movie or Show and I try to return to the Theater View main menu on my Client MC. I'll describe this below as if just finishing watching a movie - but it is the same for a Show (and TV , I think).

So after I watch the movie, I either hit Stop, or the movie ends completely by itself, and the screen returns to the listing of movie choices. I can move around and scroll other movies choices with no lag.

But if I use the remote to go to the "left" and return to the top menu, and go to "back" (back to "theater view top level menu"), there is a 5 second lag before that "top level main menu" appears.  Once I'm at the main menu (the "movies, shows, tv, etc. top level menu screen) there is no more lag.

It seems like MC is waiting for Server to wake up and respond. But the Server is where movie is being streamed from so the hard drive and network must be awake at this time. Right?

How can I eliminate this 5 second lag?

I have my network set to never sleep.
I have the hard drives on the Server and Client set to never sleep.
I have all screen saver and sleep functions turned off.

What else can I do?  I 'm on the latest version of MC and both computers are running Win 10 x64, latest version.
Thanks

robt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Big lag in menu response when returning at end of Show or Movie viewing
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 03:28:10 pm »

I had a similar symptom on a client and realised my server had gone to sleep while watching the movie, which was actually streaming from a nas.

I know it doesnt sound likely but the effects seem so similar, can you check that this isn't whats happened? Have you set Windows on the server to power down after a time period? The hard drives might be set to not sleep but perhaps Windows is regardless.

Just a thought.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 05:07:25 pm »

Maybe that's it. I have Server set to never sleep, but looking at Advanced Power features, I see the hard drive is set (or allowed) to sleep after 30 minutes. I reset it to 180 minutes (that should be enough to watch a full movie and see if the menu lag is gone).

I thought that the computer drives would have to be awake if the drives are spinning and "serving" the movie. I'll test it now and report back if that helps.

Thanks.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 05:39:10 pm »

If there is multiple drives and the library is on a different one then your media, its certainly possibly that the library drive fell asleep. During streaming it certainly doesn't do anything - and when you navigate to a different view, it'll ask the server for an update.

I have a SSD in almost all my systems for the OS and in this case the MC Library - this avoids any issues waiting for the library to wake. I'm fine waiting for the movie discs to spin up when needed, but the library should be quick to respond. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 01:35:02 pm »

Setting the Hard Drive sleep time to 180 minutes seems to have fixed the problem. I suppose I could turn the HD sleep off completely, but for now all is good.

I do use a small 64GB SSD as my main "C" drive where MC is loaded. All of the movies and media is loaded onto an array of fifteen 3TB drives in RAID-6 configuration.

I don't know if the Win 10 "Hard Drive sleep setting" effects all the drives or just the "C" drive, but I have seen no negative effects from changing this sleep setting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up