INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie transferring music  (Read 1201 times)

Woodchuck#1

• Recent member
Newbie transferring music
« on: December 14, 2017, 07:06:17 pm »

Hi. I finally got back after trying this earlier this yr with a different laptop. I just upgraded an old laptop with an SSD and W10 in order to convert it to a music server. I downloaded JRmc 23 earlier today and I think i'm ready to try this again. Basically I have an external HD with about 40gb of FLAC music in it that I ripped about 10 yrs ago. One thing I noticed with the previous laptop was that I could only play my music as long as that external HD stayed plugged to the laptop via usb. My question is, is there a way to play those FLAC files without plugging in my external HD after the initial transfer? This may sound easy to some of you but i'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to software. Thanks in advance for your time. 

craigmcg

• World Citizen
Re: Newbie transferring music
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 09:00:04 pm »

It sounds like you have been playing the music by "pulling" it from the USB drive (sound played from laptop but source file was on the external drive). I'm an old school Windows Explorer guy so I would connect the USB drive, navigate to the folder in which all the FLAC files are and copy/paste them to the Music folder on the new laptop. At that point I would open Media Center and import (I believe that it defaults to importing from Music etc.) You would then have the FLAC files copied from their current home on the USB drive to your new drive for reliability. I believe that you can also do this from within Media Center use the Tools-Library Tools-Rename, Move, and Copy Files option. Good luck- I'm sure that you will get advice from more knowledgeable users.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 01:07:09 am »

The wiki has a topic called Moving Files .

Woodchuck#1

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 05:40:00 pm »

Craig,
That makes a lot of sense now. Also, I will check the wiki for more info on this matter but I think I know now what I did wrong. Thank you guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up