INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: when copying/moving/renaming can I limit file name length?  (Read 2174 times)

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
when copying/moving/renaming can I limit file name length?
« on: December 14, 2017, 02:14:29 pm »

I have a few really long titles. I run into an issue where I try to copy the file to a back-up drive outside of JRiver and get errors because of the file name length.

Is there a way I can have JRiver limit the number of characters before the ... so the file names are smaller and can be moved around in folders without errors?

D:/Music/Archive/Dream Theater/A Change of Seasons EP (Japanese Pressing)/1-01 Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons_ I. The Crimson Sunrise _ II. Innocense _ III. Carpe Diem _ IV. The Darkest of Winters _ V. Another World _ VI. The Inevitable Sum….flac
works fine...

but when I move that same file to, say,
E:/Backups/2017/Music Library/Archive/Dream Theater/A Change of Seasons EP (Japanese Pressing)/1-01 Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons_ I. The Crimson Sunrise _ II. Innocense _ III. Carpe Diem _ IV. The Darkest of Winters _ V. Another World _ VI. The Inevitable Sum….flac
it errors out...

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: when copying/moving/renaming can I limit file name length?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 04:56:15 pm »

Your file naming scheme isn't helping

Anyway, which windows are you on?

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 06:08:57 pm »

Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

The song title is "A Change of Seasons: I. The Crimson Sunrise / II. Innocense / III. Carpe Diem / IV. The Darkest of Winters / V. Another World / VI. The Inevitable Summer / VII. The Crimson Sunset".

It's one of those epic 23 minute prog songs with seven parts.

So when JRiver goes to rename and move the file, that's the file name I end up with. I just want to force JRiver to limit it to 60 characters or something.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 06:14:33 pm »

in Win 10 you can get rid of the character limit, which may help

https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-windows-10-accept-file-paths-over-260-characters/

there is no way to "limit" MC to a set number of characters, but AFAIK the RMC tool won't allow >260 characters

i have that album, i just put the part names for the first song into the notes tag.

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 08:23:49 am »

i have that album, i just put the part names for the first song into the notes tag.
Me too, and I just put the part names for the first song into the Description tag.

@ferday , Should I use Notes tag for stuff such as this, is there a difference/benefit in using the Notes tag?

@Alan, a Good question to ask  8)
Caesar adsum jam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic inat.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 10:16:11 am »

Description is "technically" a default tag for Vorbis so it's probably better (there are no offical defaults, unlike id3 which doesn't support description or notes).

I use notes because I have for years, and I write all sorts of junk in there. 

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 01:17:43 pm »

Description is .... probably better.

Ha, I too use Description because I have for years, and I write all sorts of junk in there.

So stick with Description and no benefit in changing to Notes?
Caesar adsum jam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic inat.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 05:25:37 pm »

AFAIK the RMC tool won't allow >260 characters

This is correct, although I'm not sure about the 260 characters. But it limits the full path length to a supported length. I don't think you even need to have the "Support extra long file names" flag set in Options anymore. But it wouldn't hurt.

If you always Move and Copy files with the "Rename, Move, and Copy Files" function in MC, the total path length will always be supported. Don't use other tools to move and copy.

But the version of MC you are using may make a difference. There were a lot of improvements for moving TV file sets recently, including improvements to the total path length management. Those improvements should work with all file types, so it is probably a good idea to be using the latest version of MC.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up