INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connecting to Media Center  (Read 2676 times)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Connecting to Media Center
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2003, 02:31:16 pm »

radioshack

on http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/amp.html

links to

http://www.shutterfly.com/home/pro3_newuser.jsp?cid=XXXHOMEPT3T

Thanks.  It's fixed now.  The links need work.

rjcrum

• Recent member
  • Sunnyvale, CA
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2003, 03:13:33 pm »

That last paragraph in the TiVo instructions is a humdinger!  I don't have HMO yet, but am almost ready to buy, and that last paragraph scares me.

After carefully rereading, it appears that you probably should add verbage to step one something like:

"After installing the TiVo Desktop, run the TiVo Beacon by doing <insert what you have to do to run the Beacon>.  Do not run the TiVo Publisher, as it can conflict with Media Server"

Also, the last sentence in step two should perhaps read something like:

"Always ensure the TiVo Beacon is running before starting Media Server."

I'm not positive, but I think those additions to the instructions will ensure people do what you "strongly recommend", which is using the TiVo Beacon, not using TiVo Publisher (because of potential conflicts) and using Media Server with the right port options.

Don't know if what I said was right, but that's what I got out of the message.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2003, 03:54:50 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions.  That section needs editing, definitely.  My own approach to TiVo is to just run Media Server, and it works.  I don't run the TiVo software at all.  This only means that you need to add your PC manually in the TiVo setup.

Don't wait.  Get one.  They are amazing!  It is one of the best solutions to appear in the last decade.  The user interface is a work of art.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2003, 04:21:01 pm »

>> Don't wait.  Get one.
80 hrs or higher recomended because an 80 hour DVR is really less than 40 at best quality and if you pick basic the picture quality really sucks like A VHS stuck in a Betamax.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2003, 05:11:33 am »

Feedback to JRiver after reading the 7 links:

1) Connecting a PC to a TV

I feel only part of the game is described here. Not everybody is wasting a whole PC to connect it to a TV monitor. Many users probably prefer to plug in both a TFT/CRT monitor and a TV monitor on the same PC.

This can be quite tricky (Dual, Clone, Twin Mode, Primary/Secondary monitor problems, resolution
problems etc), so some description on how to proceed in this case would be helpful here.

By the way: MC9 is not supporting dual view which most other players do like WinDVD, PowerDVD, DixX Player.

That means: if the software detects a TV monitor, then the software displays a video on both screens, in full screen mode on TV and in standard mode on the CRT/TFT monitor. In MC9 you have to switch primary and secondary monitor to get your video on TV, which is quite a hassle!

2) Remote Control for Media Center

So far I was thinking that Girder was the way to go, but obviously there is a Plugin that supports IRMan directly, so I tested this procedure. Seems to work quite well except that I have the feeling that it is still a Version 8 plugin and has never been updated.

When I try to play image files with the remote control, it plays the music files in Playing Now instead of starting a slideshow, so I assume it has never been updated! Also the number of supported commands is very limited compared to Girder.

Also the plugin did not learn the left/right buttons of one of my universal controls.

I feel this section should have more depth and especially include Girder unless J River prefers to support more the Plugin approach, although I had the feeling in the forum that J River stands fully behind the Girder approach.

3) There could also be a chapter about MC9 and sound cards as this is one of the key hardware needed for MC9. Here the different approaches could be described (internal/external, USB, virtual sound cards, multizoning etc).

Also simple things as how to divert Windows sounds to your Monitor speakers and the music sound to the stereo.

4) Also the Multi-Zoning aspect would deserve a separate chapter as this is rather hidden in the product and is in my eyes a top-feature.

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2003, 06:39:36 am »

Hook up your stereo: perhaps also worth explaining how you can also use this method to connect to line-in for recording with MC sound recorder. To keep it simple, Id say probably just a mention, with a link to a page covering this in more detail.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2003, 07:07:34 am »

Thanks for the helpful comments.  We'll continue working on this.

A new method of dealing with remotes should be introduced next week.  It's similar to the existing plug-in but configuration will be under the regular options in a new remote section.  I hope we will include at least one pre-programmed remote.  Others should be easy to teach.

This version will also have Hairstyle changes that address some of the existing short-comings.  Access to Playing Now, for example.  List view or (thumbnail), for another.  Navigation has been radically changed to simplify operation with a remote.  No need to tab from left to right now -- right and left arrow do this.

A larger image is here:
http://www.jriver.com/~jriver/misc/hsplayingnow.jpg

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2003, 07:51:33 am »

Hairstyle: Looks very promising! Looking forward to it.

rjcrum

• Recent member
  • Sunnyvale, CA
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2003, 09:14:27 am »

JimH....

Oh, you don't need to sell me on a TiVo!  I've had one for almost a year (60-hour Series 2) and love it!  The only thing I haven't added is HMO.  

I've been ripping CDs for a month or so and storing MP3s on my 'media PC', an old PC on my network with lots of disc and that is always on, and running Media Server.   It will be the source for HMO, as soon as I'm ready.

I finished ripping my rock/pop collection, but have not started my much more extensive classical selection.  I've been looking for suggestions on tagging and organizing classical (which I have found in this and other forums...) and want to be part way through classical before I buy HMO.

All it takes is time....which I have precious little at home, with family and all...

I showed my wife how she can user her new laptop running Media Center to access all of the music on my 'media PC' through Media Server and her wireless LAN connection.  Very cool!  

salsbst1

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2003, 08:02:01 am »

No need to tab from left to right now -- right and left arrow do this.

Although I never had a chance to use it the old way, I think I would have preferred it.  I'm having trouble designing an interface between my remote control and the hairstyle media library view.

I want the arrow keys to be useful when you're in the button list on the left AND when you're in the (in my case) thumbnails on the right.  But if you're parked on a button that has a menu underneat it (and thus a little arrow in the button), it is difficult for the end user to figure out whether the RIGHT key is going to "dive" down into the menu or "slide" over to the thumbnails.  And, if the right arrow button ont he remote is allowed to do it, then girder can't track the state.

Anyway, the dual functions of the arrow keys require some serious state tracking in girder.

It would be great to have the ability to have direct access to hairstyle navigation through sendmessage, which would get rid of the conflict between those using the keyboard (in the physical sense) and those using a remote control through girder.

Regards,
Stuart
Pages: [1]   Go Up