INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SACD .iso files no longer show as individual songs  (Read 2197 times)

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
SACD .iso files no longer show as individual songs
« on: December 16, 2017, 07:28:23 pm »

Well, sometime within the past year or so, a whole bunch of SACD .iso rips were changed in the library. Library entries showed individual songs and worked fine.
Now, the library lists just one song.
I don't know if this happened with MC 23 or the change to 64-bit.
Anyone have some insight into this?

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: SACD .iso files no longer show as individual songs
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 01:38:54 am »

Media Center breaks SACD ISO playback if you have auto-import enabled for them.
I'd suggest disabling SACD from all of your auto-import rules, and always importing them manually.
It doesn't handle moving or renaming SACD ISOs properly either.

The easiest solution here would be to remove them from the library and import them manually by dragging the ISO file into Playing Now, selecting the files, and using the "Import Into Library" command.

If you want to fix up the existing files and retain all your tagging/metadata changes, it's quite a bit more work.
If you have any multichannel discs, and how you have previously tagged those discs, will also affect this.

The way that Media Center imports SACD tracks means that the filenames should be:

discname.iso;1
discname.iso;2
discname.iso;3
discname.iso;4
discname.iso;5
discname.iso;6
etc.

The filenames in your library likely do not match this, if it's only playing the first track and then stopping.
If that disc above was a multichannel disc, 1-3 would be the stereo tracks and 4-6 would be the multichannel tracks.
What I do in my library is tag those as two separate discs which both have tracks starting at 1.
So it would be:

discname.iso;1 - Disc 1 Track 1
discname.iso;2 - Disc 1 Track 2
discname.iso;3 - Disc 1 Track 3
discname.iso;4 - Disc 2 Track 1
discname.iso;5 - Disc 2 Track 2
discname.iso;6 - Disc 2 Track 3

Some people may choose to give them completely separate album names in addition to labeling files 4-6 tracks 1-3.

The easiest solution I have found when fixing SACD tracks that are tagged like this is to use the "Fill track numbers from list order" library tool, in the Episode # mode.
That way [Episode] always corresponds to the track's position on the disc, while [Track #] matches the track names.

discname.iso;1 - Disc 1 Track 1 - Episode 1
discname.iso;2 - Disc 1 Track 2 - Episode 2
discname.iso;3 - Disc 1 Track 3 - Episode 3
discname.iso;4 - Disc 2 Track 1 - Episode 4
discname.iso;5 - Disc 2 Track 2 - Episode 5
discname.iso;6 - Disc 2 Track 3 - Episode 6

So how do we fix SACD tracks using this?
After they have correct [Episode] tags, we can use the "Rename, Move, and Copy" tool to fix the disc.

1. Make sure that it is in the "Update database to point to new location" mode, and not rename. Renaming via the RMC tool will break SACD playback again. Moving/renaming SACD discs should be done via Windows Explorer. (or not at all)

2. Set your filename rule to:

Delimit([Album Artist (auto)] - Delimit([Year],/ -/ ,)[Album], .iso;PadNumber([Episode,0],0), )

In my case, all my ISO files are named [Album Artist (auto)] - [Year] - [Album].iso, change the red text to match your file naming scheme.
You can enter a name manually if it doesn't match a rule like this.

3. Make sure that "Find & Replace" is set to find .sacd and the replace with box is empty.

This should hopefully fix your SACD discs without having to reimport them.
I realize it may seem overly complicated, but that's just how it is for SACD management in Media Center right now.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 11:35:11 am »

Thank you very much, RD, for the thorough response. I really appreciate the time you took to comment.
I will check that out tonight. Unfortunately, I was too tired to do anything last night!
Best,
Stu

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
Re: SACD .iso files no longer show as individual songs [SOLVED]
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 02:32:22 pm »

Update: Thanks again, RD. I removed the albums from the lib and manually imported them. They all came through just fine. The only metadata I needed to add was the date and that wasn't too onerous.

Much appreciate the response.

runnin17

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 09:11:59 am »

This pretty much answers my question.

Any idea why this happens now?
Pages: [1]   Go Up