INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metadata Magic  (Read 1184 times)

ataddeo

• Recent member
Metadata Magic
« on: December 18, 2017, 03:38:44 am »

Every night when I want to play music I spend hours fixing metadata failures just to find some of the same problems returning in 12 hours from when I correct them.  Usually the artist and album genre fields disappear.

My music HDD are connected to a Mac mini with mc23 installed on that machine but not running and DLNA is not running.  It runs in my MacBook Pro library only so I can use your remote in my iPhone.

The metadata is in most of the music files when I check them following changes or additions I made using media center 23.0.82.  I have also tried correcting the meta data with dbpower amp but it still disappears in media center.    I have the two external HDD's [watch drives] connected to the Mac mini they are the only place audio files live for media center along with the cover art is in each album folder. I'm using ARTIST > ALBUM TITLE > CUT TITLE format on the watch folders hdd's.   I think media center puts the art there.  Also, same problem appears with album art, I store all album art in the default location; library > application support > j river > media center 23 > cover art.  I have turned off get cover art in media center options and the incorrect cover art returns along with metadata disappearing sometime after I make the corrections.

The first window under options grew to full screen last week and will not allow me to adjust it down to see the buttons on the bottom to close it so I use the red x at the left top of the screen and MC asks if I want to save changes in a little window in the center of the screen.

These problems have been making me more crazy than I am normally.  I have looked at the logs but I haven't been able to see anything that would explain to me whats happening with the metadata.  I get a MC error message TAGGING ERROR - MC has encountered errors while tagging or moving files.  Those files are on my watch drives and are not read only or in use by another program.

If you need a log to help this I'll start tonight generating one and be poised to send it to you if required.

Thank You!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Metadata Magic
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 03:44:10 am »

Try a new test library with files stored on the local drive, not on external drives.  That will help you find where the problem is. 

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Metadata Magic
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 11:10:24 am »

I wonder if your tagging changes aren't being written to the external drive on your networked mini... then at some point MC on your macbook runs autoimport and re-reads the tags on those files and updates your library to those old tags, reversing your work?

Can you see a new modification date on the files that you're tagging?

- P
Pages: [1]   Go Up