INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Party Mode & New Tagging System  (Read 2809 times)

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • TiVo-aholic
Party Mode & New Tagging System
« on: June 19, 2003, 05:48:34 am »

Since the new tagging system has been implemented and it is extremely easy (thanks guys) to tag files ... I would like to see some changes to party mode, since I think I will be using it a bit more now (No more drunk friends altering my file tags).

• Party Mode ICON -- I would like some sort of VISUAL that shows you're in party mode ... maybe top bar has an icon or just bold text "PARTY MODE ON"
  • Party Mode should persist through shutdown.  If I close MJ and restart, Party Mode should persist.  You can put a pop-up on start to ask if we want to exit party mode (password prompt).
  • LOCKDOWN in Party Mode.  I want to see a complete lockdown of file tagging in party mode.  I dont want people to be able to edit tags via the new tagging system, I dont want them to be able to drag/drop files to different playlists.  Nothing.  But, I DO want the "Number Plays" counter to work! (That doesnt affect tags, and I expect other things to work like Last Played)

I think that's all I have off of the top of my head.  Anyone else have any ideas , or not like my ideas ?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Party Mode & New Tagging System
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 06:13:09 am »

• LOCKDOWN in Party Mode.  I want to see a complete lockdown of file tagging in party mode.  I dont want people to be able to edit tags via the new tagging system, I dont want them to be able to drag/drop files to different playlists.  Nothing.  But, I DO want the "Number Plays" counter to work! (That doesnt affect tags, and I expect other things to work like Last Played)

That's what Party Mode does. Your friends can change whatever they like, create playlists, all of that.... then as soon as you exit Party Mode everything goes back to normal.

Personally, I think Party Mode should be reduced to the very basics. All you can do is browse, and double click files that are then sent to Playing Now. You should also be able to rearrange Playing Now, but that's it. What's the sense in letting people do all these changes if none of it's going to stick?

It would be a lot easier to just tell somebody, "Find the song you want and double click on it. It'll get queued up." It would act more like a real jukebox that way.

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 06:53:22 am »

Personally, I think Party Mode should be reduced to the very basics. All you can do is browse, and double click files that are then sent to Playing Now. You should also be able to rearrange Playing Now, but that's it. What's the sense in letting people do all these changes if none of it's going to stick?
... It would act more like a real jukebox that way.

100 votes for that from me - keep away those drunken dudes 8)

nila

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 09:01:01 am »

For me I'd like party mode to complete go to 'PARTY mode'.

Like designed for people not caring and drunk!

I'd even like to see this to the extent of the right click menu changing to ONLY show all the playing and que options - nothing to do with edit, looking up info etc.

Just the whole thing designed to be MORE than basic.

As well as this I'd like to be able to set options for party mode - I'd want to be able to set double clicking etc to 'add to playing now - play now' so that those drunken louts wanting to listen to 'this song is sooo rude - u have to listen to it' dont totally wipe out the playlist from everyone else.
Little things like that :)

Omni

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 09:08:47 am »

Okay, I have an obvious question which no one has bothered to ask:

Why are you giving your drunk friends access to your computer in the first place?  ? ? ::)

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 09:32:14 am »

Why give them access ? ITS A PARTY !!! ITS A JUKEBOX !!!

And, I completely agree that Party Mode should have VERY minimal functionality ...
Search & Add to Playing Now functions only. (Oh, and be able to Clear Playing now, remove songs from playing now, move songs around in playing now, etc .. playing now is free game)

And, please remove the REPLACE PLAYING NOW functionality .. So many of my buds (and not the drunk ones) type "Metallica" in the search field and hit enter ...
Um, that replaces the playing now with all Metallica songs ..

Omni

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2003, 09:47:49 am »

Why give them access ? ITS A PARTY !!! ITS A JUKEBOX !!!

I guess to each their own.  ;)  I know that when I throw parties,  I pick out the playlist, not the guests.

Also, I guess your PC must be dedicated to MC, right?  Otherwise, why wouldn't you worry about these drunk (or sober for that matter) people accessing all your other files (and bank records, on-line transactions, and what not) as well? <shrug>

Omni

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2003, 10:43:46 am »

Easy... set up a Party account that doesn't have access to anything BUT MC.

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2003, 10:48:03 am »

Correct, My MC PC is just that ... a dedicated Jukebox ... for other people to drop quarters in and play songs ... I hate being the DJ !

(I've got it sitting right next to my $0.05 per item bottled beer machine! .. and ya know what, they still complain about the price)

JaWe

• World Citizen
Re: Party Mode &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; N
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2003, 01:27:25 pm »

[*] Party Mode ICON -- I would like some sort of VISUAL that shows you're in party mode ... maybe top bar has an icon or just bold text "PARTY MODE ON"

I agree with everything you wrote, drosoph.
I think a small lock -icon like MSIE has on bottom right corner when youre on secured https page, would be enough. I shows you that editing is disabled and clicking on that icon opens same dialog box as you get from menu view/Party mode

PS. MC next to $0,05 beer machine.. where do you live.. ;)

nila

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2003, 12:39:50 am »

I like the idea of the title saying:  MC Party Mode!

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
Re: Party Mode &amp; New Tagging System
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2003, 12:45:15 pm »

I like the idea of a $0.05 beer machine :)

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
Re: Party Mode &amp; New Tagging System
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2003, 01:22:02 pm »

I like the idea of a $0.05 beer machine :)

Aye!  Can I come over?
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2003, 10:39:46 pm »

I just loaded up the freezer with Beef ... So, next BBQ everyone's welcome ... (Should I raise the price to $0.10 ? )

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2003, 02:30:41 am »

Maybe have an "Advanced" and "Basic" Party mode.

The other thing that would be handy is a way to lock the computer so that only MC was available.  

-kiwi

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2003, 03:47:13 am »

There are programs (made for children using computers, but aren't we all children when we've had enough to drink?) that will lock start menu and everything else with a password. Do a search on download.com or similar places, you'll probably find it.  8)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2003, 02:02:34 pm »

And, please remove the REPLACE PLAYING NOW functionality .. So many of my buds (and not the drunk ones) type "Metallica" in the search field and hit enter ...  
Um, that replaces the playing now with all Metallica songs ..  

Man oh man, would I like to see this.  We always play a game here where each person has to select the next song to play, based on the current one.  Well, my loving software designer partner just can't get his head around NOT pressing enter during a search.  We like to keep the playlists created during this game, but he wipes it out all the time.

This is his biggest gripe with MC, and it just drives him bonkers everytime he does it.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2003, 02:39:05 pm »

Yeah, I'd like to have something like the Mac's Launcher.  I've searched, but don't really know what to look for.  I'd like to have a program that takes over, has big icons, and only lets certain programs be run.

-kiwi

JC

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2003, 08:27:48 pm »

Man oh man, would I like to see this.  We always play a game here where each person has to select the next song to play, based on the current one.  Well, my loving software designer partner just can't get his head around NOT pressing enter during a search.  We like to keep the playlists created during this game, but he wipes it out all the time.

This is his biggest gripe with MC, and it just drives him bonkers everytime he does it.

Add me to the list of people that would like to see this implemented. At the very least, the action of the enter key should "add" the selection to the playing now.

Ideally, it should be configurable, but I suppose there are a ton of configuration options already.

The main problem is that the list doesn't update in real-time as you type (there is a slight pause), so the natural inclination is to believe that you will need to hit enter to submit the query. The way it works now seems very counter-intuitive.

Just my .02c
Pages: [1]   Go Up