INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Touchscreen Panel for Panel Radio (KISS)  (Read 2498 times)

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Touchscreen Panel for Panel Radio (KISS)
« on: December 20, 2017, 11:54:44 am »

Here's a project I put together using JRiver Panel and a Raspberry Pi Touchcreen Panel.

The goal was to have a kitchen system that gave simple touch control of playback throughout the house. I currently have a JRiver Server playing synchronized music throughout the house using Tuneblade Airplay, with three main synchronized playback Zones.

Hardware for the project:

Raspberry Pi 3 Kit
Raspberry Pi Touchscreen
Raspberry Pi Touchscreen Case
Hifiberry DAC light
Kitchen Stereo System (Audiosource Amp and BW Bookshelf Speakers, both secondhand)
Z-wave outlet switch

Software:
JRiver Server running on main system
FullPageOS image for Raspberry Pi https://github.com/guysoft/FullPageOS
JRiver KISS Radio for Panel
Shairport-sync

FullpageOS boots the Pi straight to the webpage with no issues. I just added authentication, so the Pi boots directly to a full screen browser using this address: http://username:password@myserveripaddress:52199//WebPlayer/#/

Shairport-sync handles playback via Tuneblade. Sound output is through a Hifiberry DAC.

Works great. Car Radio buttons give me direct access to my main playlists, and playback controls are easily accessible. I set up a timer to turn it on in morning and evening, and turn it off with an Engen switch when I'm done listening.

A couple pictures are attached here. I'm planning to tidy up cables etc., and screw the touchscreen case directly into the amp.

Big shout out and thank you to Hilton. It's not at the level of one of his machine builds, but it based directly on a few of his ideas in this forum.

Next step is to install Car Radio as my car radio, but that's proven a more convoluted task.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
Re: Touchscreen Panel for Panel Radio (KISS)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 11:55:47 am »

Two more pictures.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 11:56:31 am »

One day I will learn how to resize/compress images...

Mysticeti

• World Citizen
  • music, SCUBA, movies, VR, multimedia, PCs
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 05:35:36 pm »

DrMimosa, could your expand on what you mean by "Car Radio buttons"?

Thanks
"And the men who hold high places. Must be the ones who start... to mold a new reality. Closer to the Heart."

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 07:00:31 pm »

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Car_Radio

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Panel

Thanks for your reply! Quick response, it's part of the Panel interface, you access it by typing in the URL of you in address for your machine followed by :52199/Panel/#/browse .

Lots of info here on the forum, start with some of the sticky threads in MC23 and above two links.

Hilton

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 03:56:09 am »

Here's a project I put together using JRiver Panel and a Raspberry Pi Touchcreen Panel.

Big shout out and thank you to Hilton. It's not at the level of one of his machine builds, but it based directly on a few of his ideas in this forum.

Next step is to install Car Radio as my car radio, but that's proven a more convoluted task.

Nice one!

I've moved on from Tuneblade now. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I found running BubbleUPnP server that can make chromecasts and google home devices into DLNA renderers is much cleaner and simpler. I've simply created a whole house google cast group and that shows up as a renderer (zone) in MC. All chromecast audio's and mini's play in perfect sync.  All the other individual chromecast and home mini's also show up as zones (DLNA renderers) directly in MC.  It's a much nicer setup.

I use yoga tablets and old phones around the house to control playback with JRemote.  I also use Google Home Assistant to skip forward or back and change the volume of individual mini's or even the whole house volume by voice.  The Google Home Assistant controls tracks via Harmony Hub.  "Hey Google, Tell Harmony Skip Forward" etc... 

I'll video it this weekend sometime.

Pages: [1]   Go Up