INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Virtualizing a Library Server  (Read 950 times)

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Virtualizing a Library Server
« on: December 20, 2017, 05:15:46 pm »

Having just upgraded the board in my fileserver quite considerably, I've hit the position where I've got the available power and want to completely virtualize my MC library server.

I'll admit I haven't really done much with the library server & to date have just copied the library between machines when required.
All my media (~12tb) resides on various XFS formatted drives on the fileserver. I've considered a Linux library server, but it doesn't seem to be 100% there with regards to path mapping when all clients are Windows based, other than a single XBMC stick.

What I'd like is a sanity check on this plan:
* Spin up a Windows 7 VM on the server.
* Map the server NIC #2 to this VM. (Dual NIC plus IPMI :D )
* Copy across the library and thumbnails from the main PC.
* Set all machines to clients of the new library server.

It just feels at the minute as though I'm missing something I should have thought of.....

Other queries:
* Is it possible to set a machine to read-only / playcount only updates? Ideally speaking, *only* the desktop should be able to make any tagging operations full-stop. I can live without this, but it would be convenient.
* Is there a current way of gracefully handling updates on a box with no normal connection? Haven't seen a silent option on the main box, so might have to turn off auto-update entirely.

Pages: [1]   Go Up