INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What "View Schemes" do you use?  (Read 3793 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
What "View Schemes" do you use?
« on: June 17, 2003, 05:23:42 am »

Last night's build, 9.0.200, included a big change to the tree.  We're trying to clean it up so it now isn't organized into Music, Video, Media.  It just is a list of views.  This list can be added to, but it would be helpful for us to hear what you use.  Here are mine, for example.

Images by Year
[date (year)]/[genre]/[comment]

Music by Artist / Album
[artist]/[album]

What else do you use?  We can add some as defaults and others as optional additions.

If you don't like the approach we're taking with this, please use another thread to discuss that.  At this point, we're still trying things out.

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
Re: What "View Schemes"
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 05:48:57 am »

I mostly use [artist]/[album]

I used to use location based view schemes a lot, but they are now useless... I hope you're going to change that again.... (I've been using this for organizational stuff, "My Computer" is just slow with recursion and lacks features like filtering based on smart/playlists)

I'd like to use a [artist]/[album]/[track#-name] scheme (with playing now/visualisation in the lower pane....

and: I'd realy love to see view scheme groups back again. They've been great to 'store' less commonly used view schemes (and somewhat hide them from hairstyle)

Ingo

p.s.: I'd love to have that old style tree back again... while keeping the new columns based system. Walking down the tree would just remove columns.... (and those who don't like the new mode at all could just continue as if nothing changed.....)

NoCodeUK

Re: What "View Schemes" do you use?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 06:01:11 am »

Here are my extras to the norm -

Audio

Artist Directory - [Album Artist (Grouped in 3), Album Artist (Grouped single), Album Artist, Album] - this allows me to filter Artists easily
Artist - [Artist] (bottom pane set to show Artist and Name, sorted by Artist, then Name) - for discos. allows me to easily show people what tracks I have available by a particular artist
Catalogues - [Album/Single (custom field)] - has three set choices Album/Single/Other - scheme settings are set to show only track 1 and bottom pane is set to show just Artist,Album and Year.  Allows me to quickly and easily see all the albums I have and all the Singles I have.  Good for printing out so people can see what I have and also for me to know.

Video

Series - [Series/Series #/Episode #]  - Again custom fields, allows me to quickly and easily see which series I have an what episodes from each.  I also have another custom field Video Type which is used in the search criteria to stipulate that only files tagged as series should appear in this scheme.  The other choices are Movie, Music Video or other
Movie/Actor - Again custom fileds Movie and Actor.  Movie is the movie name (surprise, surprise) Actor is semicolon delimited.  This one is great as it works two ways.  It can either show me all actors in a particular movie by selecting the movie or if I select all for the movie column and then pick an actor it shows me all movies that the actor is in in the bottom pane!!  Very versatile

I also have a video catalogue similar to the audio one but using video type instead so I can quickly see all the videos I have (which is many at the moment but I hope to rectify this!)

For images I really like the new Calendar view.  I also have a Album/Sub Album view as some of my images have a double Album setting eg Album for general setting and Sub Album for more specefice like Holidays/France

I think that is all of them.  I am at work so not sure for definite.  I will post any of my other useful ones when I get home.

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 06:16:31 am »

All Audio Views --
  • Genre/Artist/Album
  • Location (But it doesnt work like I want) "Root / Filename (Path)"
  • "Has Cover Art" = Genre/Artist/Album "-imagefile=[]" in Thumbnail View
  • Album Type / Artist / Album in Thumbnail View
  • Top Hits! = Genre/Artist/Album "~n=100 [Number Plays]-d ~s=random"
  • Decade = Year (Group 10) / Year / Rating / Artist / Album

jakobluck

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 06:18:46 am »

...by Artist
[album artist, automatic (groups of 1)]/[album]
(limited to location=Albums AND -location=Assorted)

...by Genre
[genre]/[album artist, automatic]/[album]

...by Super-Genre
[mood]/[album artist, automatic]/[album]
(limited to location=Albums)

...by Year
[year (groups of 10]/[year]/[album artist]/[album]

Compilations
[album (groups of 3)]
(limited to location=Assorted)

Singles
[filename]
(limited to location=Singles)

DVD-Rs
[volume name]/[filename]
(limited to volume=tv.series.* OR volume=movies.*)

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 06:26:00 am »

Music

Music by Artist / Album
2 columns
[Artist], [Album]

Music by ABC Artist / Album
3 columns
[Artist] (grouping size 1), [Artist], [Album]

Images

Photos by Hard Disk Location
1 column
[Hard Disk Location]
This view scheme doesn't work due to a bug with MC9.1.200

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
Re: What "View Schemes&am
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2003, 06:26:33 am »

Readjusted my views yesterday and some things get really simple, cannot say about other views I have not implemented yet. Besides the standard views I have:

/Continent/Country/Topic/Artist/Album

If I select Europe/France I get under Topic the following selection:
Artwork - Composer - Galleries - People - Movies - Music - Nature - Travel - Year

If I select Composer I get
Bizet - Debussy - Massenet

If I select Artwork I get
Cezanne - Degas - Manet - Monet - Pissarro - Renoir

If I select Galleries I get
Louvre - Museé d'Orsay etc.

If I select movies I get
French movies

If I select Year I get
things composed or painted that year

The nice thing about this new system is that it's very dynamic. So if I select let's say Peru I only get the topic Travel to choose. This view comprises all media types, as the selection is mainly done by topic.

I reserve genre for sub-genres of music and artwork. I may split music into more topics. Haven't sorted out completely yet. So I don't really know what to put under artist with standard images, maybe the people on the image, but then it should allow multiple items.

I also have a view collection/topic/artist/album, collection being more or less the source where something is coming from like:
MyScanner
MyCamera
URL of a website
CD/DVD
etc.

I don't have tons of music like others, but I manage almost 8'000 tagged images. In my opinion the distinction audio/image/video is not really necessary, but MC9 should detect the media type automatically and act accordingly.  Also we should have a choice of icons to use.

Marra

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2003, 06:31:42 am »

Audio
By album
By artist (groups of 3),  album
By genre, sub-genre, artist, album
By year - both decade and individual year
By rating
Images
By content (genre)
By artist
Video (music videos only)
By artist

Yes, it would be good to have the grouping back again.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2003, 06:32:18 am »

I posted about this in the thread about calculated fields.  If the field groupings were changed to cover the particular media types so we have General/Audio/Images/Video etc then when MC encounters an audio file it only lists properties specific to the categories General and Audio, Video only has properties from General and Video etc.  This way we would no longer see things like Height and Width for Music or BPM for images.

I think I explained it better in the other topic.  Check it out there.

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
Re: What "View Schemes&am
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2003, 06:43:09 am »

Here they are:

"Cuts" (View Scheme Group) - [Filename]="D:\My Music\Cuts" -[Custom 2]="For Maggie" [Media Type]=audio
  • AlbumArtist
  • Year (groups of five)

"Genre/Album" (View Scheme) - -[Genre]=[] ~sort=[genre],[albumartist],[album],[track #] [Media Type]=audio
"Maggie's Music" (View Scheme Group) - [Custom 2]=[For Maggie] OR [Custom 2]="Also For Maggie" OR [Custom 1]="From Maggie" [Media Type]=audio
  • Album
  • AlbumArtist/Album

"My Music" (View Scheme Group) - -[Custom 2]=[For Maggie] [Genre]=[] [Media Type]=audio
  • Album
  • AlbumArtist (groups of three)/Album
  • Year/Album (groups of 5)

"Video by Album" (View Scheme) - [Media Type]=[Video]
  • Album/Track Number (groups of 100) I use "Album" for "Series Name" and "Track Number" for "Episode Number" for video files.

Soundman

• World Citizen
  • Go Music!
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2003, 06:48:01 am »

Location / Playlist / (Artist - Album)
Playlist / Location / (Artist - Album)
Genre / Location / (Artist - Album)
Genre / Playlist / (Artist - Album)

In all cases, the last column should be "Artist - Album" combined into one column (can't do this yet - have to use separate columns  :( )

gkerber

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2003, 07:07:30 am »

I've seen a number of people requesting that the original tree view be retained. I agree.  As of right now, I like the tree better than the panes.  I am trying to keep an open mind about the panes, and as still playing with it.

But using it is not as intuitive as the tree, and new and old users alike, some may like one or the other better.

nila

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2003, 07:08:27 am »

Audio (group)
- Compilations (year, album, artist : dir)
- Full Albums (artist, album : filename=O:\mp3s\Full Albums\)
- Singles (artist : dir)
- the rest

Images (group)
- Album/Name
- Year/Month/Day
- Genre/Year/Album/Name
- Location/Year/Artist

TV Series (scheme)
- Artist/Album/Track#/name

Video's : Dance (path) (group)
- Year/Event/Troupe
- Year/Troupe/Event

Video's : Music (O:\Music Videos)
- Artist

These are mine.

KeystoneCop

• Galactic Citizen
  • I hate computers..
Re: What "View Schemes" do you u
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2003, 12:32:49 pm »

here is my most used.

D is my work in progress..  F is complete.  each album is in a folder

Sure wish this would work in the BETA version.

There is a way to compare tags

[=isequal([band],[album])]=1

thanks marko

Kambriel

• Junior Woodchuck
  • That's all I have to say about that...
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2003, 12:42:28 pm »

I'm still using .199 since I'm making a lot of data CD's, but the things that are important to me would be:

ability to keep CD/MP3 music that is on CDs seperate from the ones on my hard drive. (May we have an OPTION to see them together? That would be kewl, cause then I could easily see what I have on the HD that's a dupe.)

I'll be doing more with genre (once I get all the tags correct... I have more than 18,000 mp3s on my HD)

So my list would be Artist, Album, Genre - those will be the the fields I'll most create views from, with the ability to see the burned and non-burned songs seperately or together.
This Space Intentionally Left Blank

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2003, 12:48:20 pm »

Besides the default ones, which are just fantastic, the only one that I would custom-create would be:

Video -- Genre / Series / Season  

In the list (not the columns above it), I'd sort by Track# (aka Episode#).

mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2003, 01:05:01 pm »

A very basic "Album Artist (Auto)/Album" would be nice. :)

Marty3d

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2003, 01:23:38 pm »

The most missed scheme is
- Album Type (Multiple, Single (complete), Single (incomplete)) / Artist / Album

One wish though. I miss something in Album type. Now, the "Single (incomplete)" includes songs without any album tag, which I feel is a bad thing. It would be alot better if there were:
- Multiple Artists (as it is)
- Single Artist (complete) (as it is)
- Single Artist (incomplete) (as it is except without songs with no album tag)
NEW - Single Artist (No Album)

How about that?

Cheers,
/Martin

zevele10

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2003, 01:39:09 pm »

I use Artist/Album  and artist/album .This one sorting by letters A-B-C-D ect.
What i would like to do - but maybe i can do it already ,i do not know - is to be able to have sorting by folders == Emusic - russes- SoulSeek-Audiognome- winmx- ogg GDA ect ect .
And to be able to set each folder to Artist/Album  [ standart] and artist/album A-B-C- D......

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2003, 03:42:26 pm »

I use:
[Composer] - [Album]

quite frequently.  (Usually filtered to remove rock, rap, etc.)

However, this requires composers to be tagged.  But once done, it is much nicer for classical music listening.

-kiwi
Listening to: 'Fifth Dimension / Medley: Aq..' from 'Forrest Gump - The Soundtrack (Disc 2)' by 'Soundtrack' on Media Center 9.1

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2003, 09:16:23 pm »

Most of the above as well as :-

UK Chart Position/UK Chart Year
UK Chart Year/UK Chart Position

US Chart Position/US Chart Year
US Chart Year/US Chart Position

(the above thanks to KingS's chart finder)

Composer/Artist/Album

BMP (an easy way to see what tracks need Analysing)

Titles of Shows (musicals)

TV/Film Themes

Jim

rocketsauce

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2003, 11:54:22 pm »

I mostly use:

Artist/Album
Album/Artist
Genre/Album/Artist
Genre/Artist/Album

I hope, though, that View Scheme Groups will be coming back. I create a lot of other schemes that I use when filling in various properties and I've also recently started recreating all of my Playlists and Smartlists as View Schemes. So I need to be able to put them in various groups so I'm not stuck with 50 or 60 View Schemes in one long list.

Rob

dylanstan

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love MJ V9! At last cover view! Big Kiss!!!
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2003, 11:19:44 am »

In fact, i've most of my playlist groups in media library

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2003, 12:19:06 pm »

I'm using Artist / Album.

I like to use group view.  However, as a result of poor internationalization, there is no choice.  Any of non alphabet name are just ignored in group view.  Those are not appeared even in <others> group.  BTW, is it possible to use first character in non alphabet name as a key to group them?

Moreover, Artist and album list is not sorted properly in Japanese character order.  MC is sorting it by using code number, but Japanese are not sorted in UNICODE.  As a result, random Japanese order.  In general, real internationalized organizing software has their own sort routine.  Wish if MC9 thought about internationalization issues much more.  Current implementation is still worse than MJ7 (it doesn't assume anything about internationalization, so it worked fine on localized OS like Windows Japanese Edition).

On the other hand, hard disk location view is interesting.  I didn't know it.  However, in pane view, it shows only 2 or 3 drives in a pane... So, it seems not useful for now, though.

MachineHead

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2003, 02:54:10 pm »

Location. I want to see folders for the most part. And what is in them. In particular, the Emusic folder as of late. That one is growing.

Anything else can be set up with a Smartlist for whatever my whims may be at the moment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up