INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Applying Tempo Control (DSP) and play to Sonos - how?  (Read 1411 times)

Ferdi

• World Citizen
Applying Tempo Control (DSP) and play to Sonos - how?
« on: December 25, 2017, 03:58:53 pm »

As much as I love playing Max Richter's 8h recording 'Sleep' while I, uhm, sleep, I always found the music to be too fast and therefore at times disturbing. A while ago I compared my heartbeat while at sleep, measured by an otherwise unused gadget, with the BPMs determined by MC: and yes, my heart beats slower!

Yday, playing around with audio settings in MC, I randomly found an option to slow down music without changing the pitch! And I am game for an experiment. I need forum help though: I added a new DLNA server 'Sleep' and adjusted the speed in the DSP studio. Now, how do I use that to play the music to my Sonos speaker on my bedside (shows as a zone in MC)? Obviously I don't want that to be my default for all my music, just for this recording, and I'd want jremote for choosing.  Possible?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Applying Tempo Control (DSP) and play to Sonos - how?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 12:26:54 am »

Search for DSP over DLNA. 

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 02:42:18 pm »

couldn't find any post that would help me, and playing around in the depth of the settings menus leave me thinking: this is not possible.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 04:08:30 pm »

You need to set the MC DLNA server audio settings to Always Convert, select the audio output format L16 No Header, and then under Advanced select the DSP settings you want to apply.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 02:31:02 pm »

Thanks Andrew.
Before getting your reply, I had created a new DLNA server, named 'Sleep', with tempo control (slowing down by 10%). Here's some issues I run into:
- MC constantly crashes when I attempt to change settings in the DLNA menu
- I want to play to a Sonos speaker (zone). I can not create a copy for a speaker / zone, therefore can 'associate' a particular Sonos speaker only to one DLNA server ('Generic' or 'Sleep') (right click on the zone).
- I attempted a work around: copy the local server / zone, and linked it to my Sonos speaker (linking zones). That worked - but from that point on, all my music was slowed down, even after unliking zones. I could not figure out how to prioritize the DLNA Servers that I now had in the Audio settings. So this workaround was a fail, and anyway, too inconvenient to set up this up everytime i want to play just that one album: As this is to 'sleep', I'll be in bed using JRemote, not on the server itself, to apply settings.
- The quality of the music after slowing it down was not 'good enough', created odd effects.

I have tried to understand your recommendations, and believe that the L16 settings might improve the music output? I test that later again, bit annoyed right now from the regular crashes, and I don't see that I can do what i want to do anyways :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up