INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver adding Album Artist from who knows where on import  (Read 4535 times)

jlyness

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver adding Album Artist from who knows where on import
« on: December 27, 2017, 09:21:48 am »

I tag my music files with Yate before importing to JRiver  (23.0.90). Lately there have been problems where JRiver seems to be adding its own information to the Album Artist field (not Album Artist [auto], I do understand how the auto feature works).
This seems to happen where I have deleted all info in the Album Artist field prior to importing to JRiver. Where iTunes and other tag readers (Yate, Media Info) show the Album Artist field as blank, JRiver shows information in that field -- usually the incorrect or misspelled info I deleted in Yate in the first place! I can delete the info in Album Artist within JRiver and it stays deleted, but this adds an extra step to my workflow? Any ideas what's going on? I have not changed any settings in JRiver import but have never seen this happen before.

jlyness

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: JRiver adding Album Artist from who knows where on import
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 09:38:37 am »

Having played with it a bit more, I can confirm that changes made to the Album Artist field in another app, whether I delete the info in the field or change it to something else, do not 'take' for JRiver. The changes do show up if I open the file in a different app, i.e., if I make the change in Yate, it appears when imported to iTunes, and if I make the change in iTunes, the change shows up in Yate and in the Media Info app. Very puzzling and problematic…

jlyness

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 10:06:15 am »

On further exploration, there seems to be no problem making changes to the Album Artist field for FLAC files, only for ALAC. But my library is all ALAC… and I'd never seen this problem before the last couple of weeks. Other fields that I changed the tags (album art, artist, album, genre, comments, etc.) all show up fine in MC. I have been able to reproduce the problem, though, with MC 23.0.90, 23.0.79, and 22.0.54.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 11:53:10 am »

It's possible the tags are different.  The name of the tag must match exactly, including case.

It's also possible the tag is correct, but MC's library hasn't been updated.  You can do this with MC's tools.

jlyness

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 12:08:24 pm »

I've tried updating the MC library from the file tags, also tried deleting the files from the MC library and re-importing, no help.

Same problematic ALAC files converted to FLAC or AIFF (using XLD for mac) allows the same field (Album Artist), without further tag editing, to show up fine when then imported into JRiver.  But if I convert to FLAC within MC, the same incorrect Album Artist tag is preserved.

Any other ideas?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 03:50:21 pm »

Is it possible MC has seen these files before you made the tag edits externally? If so, then that is likely the reason you're seeing this behaviour.

A recent reply on a similar topic:
This one pops up every so often and "what is correct" depends on your viewpoint.

Way back, the common consensus was that MC should not remove data from the library when updating for external changes, so it won't delete existing data and replace it with nothing.

The answer, really, is to do your tag editing in MC. It really is very capable.

jlyness

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 04:53:48 pm »

Thanks. No, MC had not seen these files before, but the other thread you linked is very interesting. I will see what the Yate developer can tell me.

I don't do most of my tagging in MC for several reasons, among them that Yate makes it easy for me to create highly customized automated sets of changes. No doubt can be done in MC but I haven't quite figured it all out.

jlyness

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 09:57:15 pm »

Well, after some f/u by myself and the Yate developer, looks like my other tag editors (Yate, iTunes) are doing what they do with the tags just fine. I think my problem is that, for some reason and only for certain audio tracks, MC hangs on to an old Album Artist tag despite either trying to update the library from the file tags, or even deleting the file from the library and then reimporting it.

In case anyone is interested… https://2manyrobots.com/forum/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=615

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 01:00:45 am »

An interesting problem. I have often been annoyed at not being able to see exactly what tags are stored in a file, and what the tag name is, when managing my library. A tool that allow that sort of raw viewing of tag data would make solving this sort of problem a lot easier.

Some of the testing 2MR2 did, and possibly some of yours, would be invalid. This question is a lead in to one of the reasons why.

Is it possible MC has seen these files before you made the tag edits externally?

But there is a second reason that this question is important.

I see you said MC hasn't seen the files before, but are you aware that MC stores tag information for any file that it has seen (imported) before, and restores that information to the library when it sees (imports) the files again? So even if MC has never seen these specific files before, I suspect that if it has seen files named the same that are stored in the same directory, or actually maybe just have a few tags in common such as Album, Artist, Name (not sure which), then MC is reusing the tags it knew about before.

To check if MC thinks it has seen a file previously, set up a View or Smartlist that is not restricted to any Media Type (including via the parent scheme rules if using a View) and has a Modify Results rule "Limit database to" set to "Removed". Have a look through that list and see if you can find the problem files after importing, but before you delete them from MC. If you find one of the files, add the [Album Artist] field to the view and see if the bad content is listed in there. Note that you won't be able to use the tag Action Window with these deleted files.

My other question is; when you looked at the files using Media Info after you had deleted the [Album Artist] tag using Yates, did you see an additional tag called "Album Performer"?

A few of my example files did have this additional field, which was called "Album_Performer" in the Media Info XML view, and "Album/Performer" in the Text, HTML, and Tree views. The normal field was called "Album_Artist" in the XML view and "Album Artist" in the other views. The data in each was the same, but then the files had been updated by MC, so I guess that isn't surprising. If I updated the [Album Artist] tag in MC, both fields were updated in Media Info. I'm assuming that these represent two different tags in the file, rather than just two ways of displaying the same tag. Note that my test files were MP3s.

I am thinking perhaps that because there are two fields, perhaps Yates deletes the "Album_Artist" tag but leaves the "Album_Performer" tag alone. Then MC looks for both versions, finds data in the "Album_Performer" tag, and imports it into the MC [Album Artist] tag.

So there are two possibilities:
1. The files, or some files that are identified as being the same as the new files you are importing, have been seen by MC and their information is stored in the "Removed" database, only to be resurrected when these new files are imported.
2. Yates is only deleting one of the tags that can hold Album Artist data and not the other, while MC looks for both and imports data when it is found, even if the other tag is empty. So checking if the aART tag (or the correct tag name for ALAC files) is empty in Yates isn't sufficient. As converting your problem ALAC files to FLAC files and back again clears the problem, I think this is the more likely scenario, as writing a completely new FLAC the ALAC file would write only the tags appropriate to that format.

Googling "Album_Artist" and "Album_Performer" would support the case for the second scenario. In fact Googling '"Album_Artist" "Album_Performer"' shows that Roon is having similar issues. though there are some hints that the FLAC format supports both tags separately.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jlyness

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 07:57:53 am »

Interesting indeed. OK:

1) I don't see the affected files in the Removed smartlist. To double-check this, I created a brand-new empty library and imported one of the problematic files into it. It shows the old, supposedly-deleted Album Artist.

So I guess MC is reading this old info from somewhere?

2) Sorry, I don't know how to look at this in Tree or XML view, what do I do?

I did look at all the possible tags visible in Yate and don't see any Album Performer or similar field, or any tag showing the incorrect info visible in MC. There is Original Artist and a couple of others but they show as blank. The Media-Info app doesn't show Album Performer either, nor anything else displaying the incorrect album artist. Same for another tag-editing app (Tagger).

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 08:23:20 am »

So I guess MC is reading this old info from somewhere?

That's what I thought. The bad data has to be in the files somewhere, even if Yates or other apps can't see it. MC can't be making it up! I thought maybe the tags were just flagged as deleted, but the author is pretty adamant that Yates deletes the tags.

If you were ripping the files using MC I might assume that MC is doing an automatic lookup of metadata. But you aren't, and MC doesn't do an automatic lookup for imported audio files, I think. There is a setting at;
Options > General > Online Metadata > Allow automatic CD lookup / submission
but I am pretty sure that just works for CDs inserted to play, and when ripping CDs. You could try turning that off I guess.

2) Sorry, I don't know how to look at this in Tree or XML view, what do I do?

I was talking about the different views in "Media Info" there. You will find a "View" menu in Media Info, with a drop-down list.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jlyness

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 09:28:31 am »

Progress! I realized you are talking about a different Media Info app than I had -- mine was "Media-Info" by TryBest, which didn't have these views. I am now trying "MediaInfo" by MediaInfoLib version 0.7.91, which doesn't seem to have Tree view. But, in Text view, it does have a field called ALBUM ARTIST (all caps, unlike all the other field names other than RATING), which does show the old/wrong album artist name. In XML view the old/wrong name is listed as <ALBUM_ARTIST>, again all caps.

Is this the same MediaInfo software you are using?

And, how do I edit this field away? I tried removing it in MC with the Tag Editor, and then updated tags from library. This removed the old/wrong album artist when viewed in MC. But viewing the file in MediaInfo, the Text and XML views still show the old/wrong ALBUM ARTIST.

jlyness

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 12:02:48 pm »

Turns out that I also could find the 'album artist' old/wrong data in Yate. It appears that, in converting certain files from FLAC to ALAC (using XLD), the tag mappings got messed up and the album artist data was written into a UDTI (user-defined text field), which in turn MC was reading. Problem solved -- many thanks for the insights, folks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 05:26:57 pm »

Excellent. I knew that data was in there somewhere!  ;D

For future reference, and my apologies, whenever I talk about Media Info I normally provide a link, because the real Media Info is open source on Sourceforge, and there are lots of branches, copies, ripoff malware-carrying and plain old versions out there in the wilds of the internet.

I recommend using Media Info directly from Sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 06:16:59 am »

If you want to list all Tags a file contains, Metadatics is a good tool on MacOS. Besides many other actions, you can delete one or more unwanted Tags from the selected file(s) all at once.
The app is very fast, too.

By the way, YATE is a great tagging tool!

jlyness

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 08:16:10 am »

Thanks! I agree, Yate is a very powerful, flexible, easy to use tool. It too can list all tags a file contains, using the Snapshot feature (something I only just learned!).

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 08:56:57 am »

But can you remove unwanted tags (not only the content) from a file with YATE? I'm sure it is doable somehow - but how?

With Metadatics this is a batch action for all of your files in the GUI, if you wish.

I use YATE for things i can't do with JRiver MC (which i also love for tagging purposes).
Applying the correct spellings for all fields in one action with rules that i create with regular expressions is a matter of one button-click. This is very, very powerful if you want to standardize your tags.

This and getting the right cover art easily makes it an indispensable tool.

jlyness

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 09:36:49 am »

Not sure, but the Yate developer is incredibly responsive to questions on the site forum.

But can you remove unwanted tags (not only the content) from a file with YATE? I'm sure it is doable somehow - but how?

With Metadatics this is a batch action for all of your files in the GUI, if you wish.

I use YATE for things i can't do with JRiver MC (which i also love for tagging purposes).
Applying the correct spellings for all fields in one action with rules that i create with regular expressions is a matter of one button-click. This is very, very powerful if you want to standardize your tags.

This and getting the right cover art easily makes it an indispensable tool.

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 10:58:31 am »

I know,

when i started with YATE, he made a version for me, to handle the somewhat unusual star ratings of JRiver MC as an option in his app. Very nice!

YATE should be more regarded.
Pages: [1]   Go Up